45 replies to this topic

#41 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,042 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Sure, but Lou hired him and gave him that latitude, and it's usually paid off.  Most of general managing isn't in player evaluation, per se - there's only so much time a GM has for that - it's in hiring the right people and trusting them to make the right decisions on players.

Sure, and he think Conte has done enough for this organization for Lou to trust him 100% on his opinions. Sure, some have not worked out, but more times than not, he has done a great job. Don't think it make sense for Lou to go in a different direction. He's actually worked with so few hockey people, that I don't think he'd know where to begin to find a replacement. It's pretty much been Conte and his son for a very long time.

While watching this team struggle for the past three weeks, my first instinct isn't to blame Lou. I actually don't blame anyone because I think this team will get hot again. Just a gut feeling.

That's my feeling exactly. A few more losses, and I might change my mind about ever getting hot, but not about Lou.

Edited by devilsrule33, 11 March 2013 - 10:46 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,617 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Deboer requested both Bernier and Carter. That is fact behind the scenes despite what Deboer said publicly. And its not silly to give him credit for that. Its not like Lou had too many alternatives at the time on his own.

Lou isn't sitting around scouting other teams, thinking 'boy, I bet this Ryan Carter would be a good fit for the Devils'.  I can guarantee there are lots of people who know the league better than he does.  Which is fine.  You can see how much GMs know about the league when they vote on the Vezina Trophy.  Regardless,  when he acquired Zidlicky last year, he talked about calling Lemaire and talking to Dave Barr and listening to input from scouts.  Do you think he was the impetus for acquiring Loktionov?  I sure don't.  But at the end, it's his call, and his job is on the line based on what his people tell him.

Mouse, you can also argue half the teams in the NHL are one or two players away from a Cup run so thats really BS. Lou had a nice rebound year last year, but this year is yet to be written and thus far the grades are iffy.

If anything, 2010 was more of a GM firing type year than 2011.  2011 was the stars being totally out of alignment for reasons that defy description.  Given the super-thin margins on which NHL teams exist now, we'll see more teams like the 2011 Devils in the years to come.

Edited by Triumph, 11 March 2013 - 11:16 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Mouse, you can also argue half the teams in the NHL are one or two players away from a Cup run so thats really BS. Lou had a nice rebound year last year, but this year is yet to be written and thus far the grades are iffy.

And considering a 6 seed played an 8 seed in the finals last year, every year half of the teams have a legitimate chance to win the cup at the end of the season. IMHO the only playoff teams last year with no chance were the Sens, who still gave the President's Trophy winning Rags a damn good run, and the Panthers, who took us to 7. Your job as a GM is to get into the playoffs, which is far from a guarantee. Lou has done that throughout his tenure, and if the season ended today, we would be in the playoffs, despite a terrible slump. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#44 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

I'm confused about who supports Lou and who doesn't.

Well actually I feel the only hockey-lovin' logical thought is everyone suppoerts Lou they're just in panic bitchfest mode.

Lou will have to retire but I see no one with as much hockey knowledge and knowledge of the current NHL - breadth of knowledge - I see no one who superior to Lou.  I see a few guys I like but not over Lou.

I;m not going to argue because it's ridiculous.  UNLESS you have a different style of hockey you like.  To me Lou is pure hockey.

I'm here for the party

#45 maniacdevsdude

maniacdevsdude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

The so-called  "fans" who trash Lou should just throw away their Devils jerseys and go root for the Rags or Islanders as far as I'm concerned.  We don't need you.

#46 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,454 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

LL does not need anyone defending him, he has been the best GM in hockey for 2 decades.... he has this job as long as he wants it, and we will continue to bow at hus feet in celebration of his greatness

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users