#1 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

http://www.sportsclu...ts.com/NHL.html

I don't understand how the Rangers have like 70% chance of making the playoffs while the Devils have 57% chance.  I understand the Rangers have more games in hand but still they still need to actually win them.  Any stats dudes care to explain?

Posted Image

#2 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

http://www.sportsclu...ts.com/NHL.html

I don't understand how the Rangers have like 70% chance of making the playoffs while the Devils have 57% chance.  I understand the Rangers have more games in hand but still they still need to actually win them.  Any stats dudes care to explain?

You're looking at weighted, so that takes into account opponents record when deciding if a team will win or lose a game in the future.  The system also includes a "home field advantage" of 4% which I'm not sure helps or hurts his model.  It also includes tie breakers, so that can factor in as well.

So the less games played the weaker the guys predictions will be, since this whole season is going to be short his numbers are going to be inaccurate and swing wildly pretty much until the playoffs start.

A real general guessing game like this guy uses works pretty well with lots of data over a long period of time, it's arguable he'll never really get enough data in 1 full hockey season to tell a great story and a shortened season heightens the lack of data.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users