22 replies to this topic

#1 JustinZ

JustinZ

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

I know most of us wanted the 6 seed to play Florida last year, but we didn't know how tough that series was going to be. I still think everyone was happy with the results. :thumbsup:

I know this thread may seem early, but there are only about 20 games left. I think Boston and Pitt finish 1 and 2. Probably leaves Montreal at the 4th seed. I know they're young, but they scare me a little. 

I think the highest we finish is 5th unless we get really hot. The 3rd seed probably ends up with a point total near the 7th or 8th seed. 

Still the way it may turn out I would rather them than Bos, Pit, or Mon. 

Posted Image

#2 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

How would the #6 possibly be the best seed when we would at this point either face Carolina - who has a playoff hex on us, or Winnipeg who just played us tooth and nail in three games during a short period?

Thankfully, there is no 'best seed' this year other than anything above 9 :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#3 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

Not if Carolina wins their division it's not.

Honestly, being in and playing well trumps whatever the seeding is, especially this year.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#4 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Shush, bad karma! Nothing is easy. :headless chicken:

EDIT: Just no Bruins please.

Edited by Zubie#8, 14 March 2013 - 11:42 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#5 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Noooooo playoff talks please !!!! For god's sake, until we clinch a playoff spot please don't talk about this. Last time a similar thread was created we went on a loosing streak.

BAD JUJU !!!!!!
Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#6 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:27 AM

Anywhere 1 through 8 is the ideal spot.

believe-devs.jpg

#7 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

I'll be happy if they make the playoffs.  Any spot.

Also, fvck playing Carolina in the first round, fvck everything about that.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#8 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

we are just not very good with anything southeast. i'm hoping for 4 or 5 seed. least pressure, no one gives hype to high seed or low.

with boston winning their division in all likelihood, 4th seed for us against a 5th montreal would be ideal for brodeur to shine.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 15 March 2013 - 08:10 AM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

It is, but it's not as ideal as playing Florida last year.  Remember part of the reason to avoid 5th was that it was a virtual lock that we would play the Penguins, who were the strongest team in the Conference (aside from their goaltending which completely did them in).  This year it'd be Montreal.  But Carolina isn't very strong and I don't believe in playoff hexes.

But first they have to get in, which they are far from a lock to do.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#10 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Honestly, I'd rather face the Penguins than the Canes or Jets... Something about the Pens, we've been able to shut them down for years...

#11 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,035 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

I just want to get into the second season.

#12 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Carolina is a horrible matchup for us. They have unbelievable team speed...and with 2 forcheckers bearing down on Salvador, Volchenkov, and whatever other slow defenseman we have trying to corrall the puck, they will cause a ton of turnover. And there transition game in general we will have no answer for. There is nothing the Devils can do to reign in Carolina. Zero

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 GIANTS79

GIANTS79

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't mind the Devils being a 6 seed again just as long as the Hurricane don't win that division.  Like others have said, we are cursed against that team.  Doesn't matter if our team is better like in 02 or 09 or if they are better like in 06.  the way the devils have lost playoffs games to this team still amazes me  (game 7 in 09 was the worst of all, but it was fitting based on all the other ways the devils lost to carolina in 02, 06 and 09)

I also want to avoid the Bruins and I think they'll finish 1st.  Right now I'm hoping for 7, 6 (as long as no canes), or 5.  If they devils are on their game I like the chances against Montreal and Pitt and anyone in the 3 spot (other than carolina if the Jets or Caps end up winning)

I know most of us wanted the 6 seed to play Florida last year, but we didn't know how tough that series was going to be. I still think everyone was happy with the results. :thumbsup:

I know this thread may seem early, but there are only about 20 games left. I think Boston and Pitt finish 1 and 2. Probably leaves Montreal at the 4th seed. I know they're young, but they scare me a little. 

I think the highest we finish is 5th unless we get really hot. The 3rd seed probably ends up with a point total near the 7th or 8th seed. 

Still the way it may turn out I would rather them than Bos, Pit, or Mon. 

agreed, but even if the devils matched up well I wouldn't want to play them.  Our team always finds a way to lose to this team no matter what and until that changes I won't believe any different.  I dreaded that 09 series because of 02 and 06 and the devils came as close to beating a team without winning as they ever have.  not just game 7, but the way they lost the other games in that series too was in typical devils/carolina fashion.  I don't want anything to do with this team.  09 ended up being the worst of the 3.

Carolina is a horrible matchup for us. They have unbelievable team speed...and with 2 forcheckers bearing down on Salvador, Volchenkov, and whatever other slow defenseman we have trying to corrall the puck, they will cause a ton of turnover. And there transition game in general we will have no answer for. There is nothing the Devils can do to reign in Carolina. Zero

#14 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I don't mind the Devils being a 6 seed again just as long as the Hurricane don't win that division.  Like others have said, we are cursed against that team.  Doesn't matter if our team is better like in 02 or 09 or if they are better like in 06.  the way the devils have lost playoffs games to this team still amazes me  (game 7 in 09 was the worst of all, but it was fitting based on all the other ways the devils lost to carolina in 02, 06 and 09)

I also want to avoid the Bruins and I think they'll finish 1st.  Right now I'm hoping for 7, 6 (as long as no canes), or 5.  If they devils are on their game I like the chances against Montreal and Pitt and anyone in the 3 spot (other than carolina if the Jets or Caps end up winning)

agreed, but even if the devils matched up well I wouldn't want to play them.  Our team always finds a way to lose to this team no matter what and until that changes I won't believe any different.  I dreaded that 09 series because of 02 and 06 and the devils came as close to beating a team without winning as they ever have.  not just game 7, but the way they lost the other games in that series too was in typical devils/carolina fashion.  I don't want anything to do with this team.  09 ended up being the worst of the 3.

exactly....horrific OT losses (the fvck does Kevin Weekes make that save) us getting goals called off. Carolina getting suspicious powerplays late in the game

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#15 GIANTS79

GIANTS79

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

it's been horrible.  I mean 06 the Canes were great and were better than our team.  Game 2 was a brutal loss when Parise scored to take the lead with around 30 seconds left and they tied it still and then won in overtime, but 06 was their year and they beat us pretty bad in the other 4 games.

02 and 09 were just so brutal.  02 I remember devils up by 1 goal in the final minute of game 5 (the refs didn't blow the whistle when brodeur froze the puck and carolina kept hitting his pad and knocked it in)  I feel that cost us that series.  plus this didn't even account for game 1 and game 2 when their goalie dove the whole game and that led to power play goals by them. 

and that was just 2002.  2009 was even worse.  outside of the Rangers and Flyers I hate this team more than anyone else.  It would be nice if they just became the Whalers again.

by the way cool pic, #22 one of my all time favorite devils

exactly....horrific OT losses (the fvck does Kevin Weekes make that save) us getting goals called off. Carolina getting suspicious powerplays late in the game

#16 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

This thread is exactly why Hurricanes fans view us as their biggest rival. The amount of demons and trauma we've yet to get over from them is pretty crazy...

#17 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Forgeting the curse stuff, Carolina just matches up well against us. I know Boston is a lot better, but I think our odds of beating Boston are just as good as our odds of beating Carolina.

That said, I just want to get in. Anything can happen when you're there.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#18 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Who choose take worst!

Florida was tough to play last year

#19 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Looks like we will finish from 5-8th. Habs and Bruins and Penguins look very likely to occupying 1st, 2nd and 4th (order can be different.). While Canes and Jets are fighting for SE title. Of the five teams mentioned, I would rank Penguins as the best choice given their playoff choking styles the last couple years. Montreal is next because Brodeur plays his best hockey against them. Winnipeg would be my third choice because at least on paper, our team looks better. Canes and Bruins are equally intimidating as Bruins look solid and Canes always have our numbers. So, there are too many variables but hopefully this team won't face Boston and Carolina in the opening round.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#20 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

I love the 6 spot

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users