194 replies to this topic

#161 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

Did you really expect to win this game?    It would be one thing if they were playing a sh!tty team, but they weren't.   I expected them to get killed.   They exceeded my expectations.

I did expect them to win this game. They can't make the playoffs beating teams that aren't as good as them. Hell, in some cases they can't even beat those teams. But yeah, on home ice, having gained a bit more confidence, and playing a team that is "better" than them, I fully expected the Devils to win.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#162 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Now, 2 weeks from now if they haven't started making some progress, then I'll get a little concerned.   But even then, the season's over in a couple of weeks, who cares.   It's not like 2010 where they were done in December and then you have 4 months of meaningless games to look forward to.

In two weeks if they don't progress you might as well change the channel to baseball because it will be all over.

#163 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:00 PM

I did expect them to win this game. They can't make the playoffs beating teams that aren't as good as them. Hell, in some cases they can't even beat those teams. But yeah, on home ice, having gained a bit more confidence, and playing a team that is "better" than them, I fully expected the Devils to win.

It was an ambush game at the end of a long run of games.   Against a good team.   It had death written all over it.   If the shoe was on the other foot and I was a Habs fan, and we lost that game, I'd go nuts.

It's a bug/windshield thing.    It's like the Rangers drawing us sitting around doing nothing while they play 3 in 4 during a slump.   *THAT'S* a game I expect to win and they better win it.

#164 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

I will say that the bullsh!t penalties and non-calls didn't help the Devils at all.

#165 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

In two weeks if they don't progress you might as well change the channel to baseball because it will be all over.

They'll probably be right around where they are right now if they tread water.   The East is awful.   Are the Isles going to finish strong, or two teams from the SE finish in front of us?   If these things don't happen and we do nothing but tread water, we probably still won't miss.

#166 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

They'll probably be right around where they are right now if they tread water.   The East is awful.   Are the Isles going to finish strong, or two teams from the SE finish in front of us?   If these things don't happen and we do nothing but tread water, we probably still won't miss.

It's entirely plausible that two teams below us could heat up. As Devils fans, we know first hand that teams who appear out of it can make serious runs. The trade deadline is coming up and some teams could as a means to get over the hump. Lou, I don't think he'll do much of anything.

#167 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

It's entirely plausible that two teams below us could heat up. As Devils fans, we know first hand that teams who appear out of it can make serious runs. The trade deadline is coming up and some teams could as a means to get over the hump. Lou, I don't think he'll do much of anything.

It's also possible injuries eventually catch up to Ottawa, and Toronto keeps up their expected swoon and teams actually fall behind us, in spite of our own issues.  But I'm still expecting the cutoff number to be fairly high, it usually winds up higher than it's projected to be after half the season.  11-8 sounds about right as to what the bare minimum we need to go is.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#168 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

It's also possible injuries eventually catch up to Ottawa, and Toronto keeps up their expected swoon and teams actually fall behind us, in spite of our own issues.  But I'm still expecting the cutoff number to be fairly high, it usually winds up higher than it's projected to be after half the season.  11-8 sounds about right as to what the bare minimum we need to go is.

I thought 6 over NHL .500 going in.   It may be less in the end.   Right now it's 50/51 points to get in.   Rangers and Isles are both at 50, rounded up.

#169 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:00 AM

Question is how much more can we ride Moose, Marty's back seems to be a injury of unknown length. If we keep losing and Lou does not go for someone by the trade deadline, well then Lou is pissing the season away!

#170 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

They didnt play that bad. Thought Price had a tremendous game, his rebound control was incredible.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#171 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,146 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Having to hear Nordique Nation chants for most of the night made me hate tonight even more. I wish they wouldn't do group sales with these people

#172 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

They didnt play that bad. Thought Price had a tremendous game, his rebound control was incredible.

Second this. The Devils weren't getting anything by Price tonight. Game could've gone for another period and we wouldn't have scored.

#173 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

I will say that the bullsh!t penalties and non-calls didn't help the Devils at all.

It did, on our only goal Eller got triped pretty bad, puck went to kovy and he made the pass and we scored

www.SterioDesign.com

#174 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Having to hear Nordique Nation chants for most of the night made me hate tonight even more. I wish they wouldn't do group sales with these people

I'm actually suprised to hear this. I was at the game last year they attended, surrounded by blue, and I had an absolute blast with them. They're there to chear the home team and show they can support an NHL franchise. I wasn't there last night so I can't fully say they did the same this year but I was happy to join in their chants last year because they were joining in ours supporting the Devils.

When I found out they were visiting this year I was actually a bit upset I didn't know earlier to arrange to make it to the game.

1dun.jpg

#175 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

I'd take any one of those Nord fans over the super-annoying 'sth' behind me.  Hell I'd take ten of them over that clown.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#176 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

I was amongst the Nordique nation too and they were pretty funny to talk with and to their credit did cheer for the Devils over the Canadiens. Wish they stopped with the wave though lol

The bryce salvador must die guy was getting on everyones nerves. Really wishing your captain death? Come on.

#177 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

I was amongst the Nordique nation too and they were pretty funny to talk with and to their credit did cheer for the Devils over the Canadiens. Wish they stopped with the wave though lol

The bryce salvador must die guy was getting on everyones nerves. Really wishing your captain death? Come on.

Good to know the idiocy's spreading :rolleyes:

#178 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that enjoyed them. If I had the choice and knew they were coming I'd actually opt to sit in a section with them. As far as the wave...by the time they started doing it last season I was already a few beers in so it was amusing lol

Edited by Coorslight, 17 March 2013 - 11:27 AM.

1dun.jpg

#179 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,146 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'll actually be skipping next years game when I know they are coming. They were beyond annoying to me. I'd rather have those seats filled with Devils fans.

#180 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

Well, Zidlicky cost us at least a point, maybe two. Although, the offense didn't help matters by only scoring one goal (again). I actually thought NJ played a very good game considering this was the third game in four nights. I thought Larsson and Greene did a good job against the Pacioretty line. Just one of those games where the opposing goalie comes up big (again). I do agree with Deboer; it was definitely a gutsy effort considering the fatigue. If we play more games like that, we'll win more than we lose. Unfortunately, it feels like I've been saying that a lot lately

Edited by SMantzas, 17 March 2013 - 11:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users