42 replies to this topic

#41 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

wtv im saying is not as much about Parise, and i know we havent lost that many players through free agency and i'm not saying i could do a better job  than Lou. But his way of "not talking during the season cause it's a distraction" is dumb to me and no one will change my mind about it. Cause then you're squeezing yourself in a corner having like 2-4 days to sign everyone and you're missing out on other opportunities.

i really wish we could have went after Parenteau or something this summer but we couldnt cause we had "other players to take care off" (thats a fact i dont remember where i saw that quote but yeah). I absolutely dont care a single seconds of what anyone here think about this but waiting last minutes is never good in any form. It's not setting yourself up for the best results at all. And Lou as ALWAYS did things that way.

He's an awesome GM but he could be an even better GM if only he wouldnt be that stuck up sometimes.

but wtv if you dont agree just don't reply, im not changing your mind and youre not changing mine so there's no point.

22 out of 30 teams are finished by April, which leaves at least 2 months to re-sign a player.  Sometimes a player doesn't want to be there, other times the $$ is not right. I suspect both were true for Parise

#42 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

I think Getzlaf's the better player so I like his contract a lot more.  I think the Ducks are a better team in 4 years with Perry than they are without him even at this salary so I guess it's a fine deal, except the NMC really limits their options if the contract blows up in their faces.  I'd like it a lot more for the Ducks if that weren't in there.

You can't trade Perry this year, even if you believe your team isn't that good due to PDO / EV shooting % / SV % regressing.  If you're in the playoffs you can't trade your second best player for presumably whatever half season rentals get on the trade market.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#43 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

wtv im saying is not as much about Parise, and i know we havent lost that many players through free agency and i'm not saying i could do a better job  than Lou. But his way of "not talking during the season cause it's a distraction" is dumb to me and no one will change my mind about it. Cause then you're squeezing yourself in a corner having like 2-4 days to sign everyone and you're missing out on other opportunities.

i really wish we could have went after Parenteau or something this summer but we couldnt cause we had "other players to take care off" (thats a fact i dont remember where i saw that quote but yeah). I absolutely dont care a single seconds of what anyone here think about this but waiting last minutes is never good in any form. It's not setting yourself up for the best results at all. And Lou as ALWAYS did things that way.

He's an awesome GM but he could be an even better GM if only he wouldnt be that stuck up sometimes.

but wtv if you dont agree just don't reply, im not changing your mind and youre not changing mine so there's no point.

No one's trying to change your mind. People seem to just be pointing out the inaccuracies in some of what you're saying. For example "always did things that way" isn't true. Brodeur and Stevens were examples.

Also, if a player knows he could be in line for a 15 year deal at 100 million (ball-parking. I know it was 13 for 98), and you, as a GM, have one 15 year contract already on the books, a question mark in goal (Marty and Moose were both unsure of if they would retire or not until the end of last season) and an owner who may be forced to sell the team (at the time, they were searching for another investor), it's just not as easy as talking to the player agents. I think you are oversimplifying a complex process. I'm sure he was in contact with the agents (I believe both sides said there was 'contact' but no official offers). His hands were tied and even Parise said it came down to the Wild and the Devils. But the Devils didn't have the money or years (or Ryan Suter), and they aren't in Minnesota. Lou had to look long term, and long term the team is better without that contract.

It's very similar to having to let Rafalski go. The Devils just didn't have the cash at the time. I think the only time Lou got burned unexpectedly was Scotty Niedermayer, and he offered max salary on that one.

I still think it's a shame that his contract ran out in 2012. I think he would still be here under this new CBA.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users