9 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Here's a thread devoted to discussing which player in any sport is better.  Manning vs. Brady vs. Montana.  Ruth vs. Aaron.  Lebron vs. Jordan.  Cecilio Guante v. Sandy Koufax.  It's all good.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#2 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Unitas was the best of all time. I encourage anyone to read Johnny U, a really great book. Just wish I got to see him play.

Modern day ill take Peyton. While Brady is more than a system QB, the difference is NE has a great system that Brady has been responsible for building while Peyton IS a system himself. Ill cite your colts before and after Peyton from the other thread

#3 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

When one considers that Brady was two defensive stands away from winning 5 Super Bowls...pretty amazing stuff. 

I used to get caught up in the Brady/Manning debates, but I don't anymore.  As a Pat fan, I wouldn't have wanted anyone else other than Brady since he took over. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#4 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

I have to go Brady hands down.    I love Peyton, but Brady has never had the tools that Manning did, especially at WR.

IF the Pat's had a better defense Brady could have  had 5 Superbowl Championships.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

I have to go Brady hands down. I love Peyton, but Brady has never had the tools that Manning did, especially at WR.

IF the Pat's had a better defense Brady could have had 5 Superbowl Championships.

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning.

You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#6 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning. You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BTW, not implying that Brady SHOULD have won five Super Bowls.  All five games he was in were all close until the end...it makes sense that some went his way and others didn't.  3-2 seems about right.  Just getting to five in the time frame that he has is an achievement unto itself, really. 

Games aren't won or lost by the QB alone, but Brady's teams have made the playoffs 10 times.  Only twice were they one-and-done.  Peyton has been to the playoffs 12 times.  Eight times his teams have been one-and-done.  Like I said, can't put all of that on the QB, but the playoff resume does hurt Manning a bit...he simply hasn't been as good as he's been in the regular season, and ironically didn't even play that well when his team DID finally win a Super Bowl (though he did go on a hell of a rampage against the Pats in the AFC Championship game)...the Colts' run defense stepped up out of nowhere in the playoffs that season.

One things I've found with the Manning/Brady debates, is that no matter how many numbers are thrown out, no one's minds are changed...Manning guys remain Manning guys, and same for Brady.  That's why I stopped getting caught up in it all.  In the time frame they played, they were clearly the 1 and 1A of their generation.  Both will be remembered with well-deserved reverence. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#7 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

I think Peyton's the best QB of all time.  If he had as good of a team/coach as Brady he'd have the Rings and Championship appearances. 

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#8 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,934 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning. You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Seriously? Did you not see Wayne's stats this year. 106 receptions for over 1300 yards (at the age of 34). Even last year, with the historically bad Painter at QB, he still put up respectable numbers. Reggie Wayne is a top receiver with any half-decent QB.

Edited by devilsrule33, 23 March 2013 - 10:05 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Seriously? Did you not see Wayne's stats this year. 106 receptions for over 1300 yards (at the age of 34). Even last year, with the historically bad Painter at QB, he still put up respectable numbers. Reggie Wayne is a top receiver with any half-decent QB.

Andrew Luck is much more than a half-way decent QB even as a rookie. Wayne didn't do so great the year before,

Also, these days, defensive backs aren't allowed to play defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

#10 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

It's a chicken and egg issue so far as weapons. Personally, I think Reggie Wayne gets thought of as a decent receiver if someone else is throwing to him. Harrison was better, but again, his success is more attributable to Manning. You could also say that Brady was two defensive stands away from being Jim Kelly.

Very valid points.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users