Carter-Henrique-Kostopoulos

Pesonen-Sestito-Gionta

w/ Ponikarovsky:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Ponikarovsky-Loktionov-D'Agostini

Carter-Henrique-Bernier

Pesonen-Gionta-Kostopoulos

But I bet Barch is in on Monday.

edit:  max, Buffalo is atrocious.  I have no clue how they are winning games.  The Rangers are real good, though.  Philadelphia is the best of a bad lot behind us though.

Edited by Triumph, 24 March 2013 - 12:36 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

yea zajac is actually showing signs of life. now is his time to take the slack of kovy.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#23 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Better than I thought when he skated off. We went 5-1 without him last year because other players stepped up. We need a group effort here and we will be okay. Just need to win 2 out of every 3.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#24 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Oof. Time to see what the team's made of. This kind of adversity in a shortened season will certainly make or break the team.

#25 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

What I'd like to see without Ponikarovsky:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Bernier-Loktionov-D'Agostini

Carter-Henrique-Kostopoulos

Pesonen-Sestito-Gionta

w/ Ponikarovsky:

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Ponikarovsky-Loktionov-D'Agostini

Carter-Henrique-Bernier

Pesonen-Gionta-Kostopoulos

But I bet Barch is in on Monday.

edit:  max, Buffalo is atrocious.  I have no clue how they are winning games.  The Rangers are real good, though.  Philadelphia is the best of a bad lot behind us though.

Yeah, the Rangers are involved.   I have it as 9 playing for 8.   Washington could be a wild card, but they'll probably take out one of their division mates if they get in.   If 3 of those teams get in, the Conference is historically bad this year.

The reason I include Buffalo as a long-shot is because it's possible they could pass us without taking someone out.   But 5 from one division is a stretch too.

Another thing this year is that games in hand aren't as nice as they normally would be.   If you're sitting with 2 or 3 games in hand, it means you're getting put through the grinder.   I like our schedule alot, not so much in who they play (it's tougher than the March teams), but that it looks like a normal schedule and you get off days and you can practice and such.    The first 3 weeks of March were a nightmare.

#26 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Plenty of room for guys like Zajac, Henrique,  Clarkson and eventually Poni to pick up their games and make up for the loss of Kovy at least temporarily. 

I also think it's important that we learn to run the PP without Kovy.  It's insane to be that dependant on one player and hopefully that will give the coaches the confidence to have a 2nd units without him when he comes back so they don't run Ilya into the ground in games where there's a ton of penaties called.

That being said, it doesn't seem like we'll ever have all of our forwards healthy at the same time.  Hopefully Lou has one more Lokti/Poni/D'Ags type trade in him.  We still have the extra D'man to dangle.     

Edited by Lateralous, 24 March 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#27 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I must be missing something with Kostopoulos. I think Barch is a much better hockey player, although just a tad slower. I would take Sestito over Kostopoulos. If anyone sees something in his game, please let me know.

Edited by hystyk28, 24 March 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#28 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Are you figuring on paper or based off of the on-ice play? The Rangers, while they beat us in the last game (IMO mainly due to Lundquist playing lights out), haven't really looked all that impressive in the games I've seen them play. Yes, they've got great star players, but overall, I don't think their style of play really uses them to the advantage. Philadelphia is also a very good team on paper and I actually really like their system, but their goaltending has been so hit or miss that I don't think they can confidently play it properly. I haven't seen much of Buffalo, but on paper they've got a very decent team if they put things together.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#29 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

The Rangers shouldn't be where they are.   I can't stand their system, but I think a bit of their luck from last year is coming back to bite them.   And now they're stuck with games in hand which means they're getting put through the wringer.    They really could end up missing, especially since their coach is a loon and could lose the room.   And Dolan doesn't care enough about hockey to put the fire out if it happens

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,729 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Are you figuring on paper or based off of the on-ice play? The Rangers, while they beat us in the last game (IMO mainly due to Lundquist playing lights out), haven't really looked all that impressive in the games I've seen them play. Yes, they've got great star players, but overall, I don't think their style of play really uses them to the advantage. Philadelphia is also a very good team on paper and I actually really like their system, but their goaltending has been so hit or miss that I don't think they can confidently play it properly. I haven't seen much of Buffalo, but on paper they've got a very decent team if they put things together.

Can't it be both?  I don't love the Rangers team but they have a solid goalie and are playing above the 50% mark territorially.  When I watch Buffalo I think they are awful and they're at 44% of the shots at even strength, and it seems to be, if anything, getting worse.  (They got totally smoked in their win over Montreal)  Philadelphia is right around 50%, and while I don't think Bryzgalov is particularly great, they seem like the best team 'on paper' behind us and the Rangers.

3 games against not great opponents coming up, I think if NJ can get 5 of 6 here they're in the playoffs.  2 or less of 6 and it's going to be trouble.

The Rangers shouldn't be where they are.   I can't stand their system, but I think a bit of their luck from last year is coming back to bite them.   And now they're stuck with games in hand which means they're getting put through the wringer.    They really could end up missing, especially since their coach is a loon and could lose the room.   And Dolan doesn't care enough about hockey to put the fire out if it happens

Injuries down the stretch to them would really hurt - they have zero depth and even less that they got rid of Halpern.  I still think they're a favorite to make it but a few bounces the wrong way would send them out of it.

#31 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Can't it be both?  I don't love the Rangers team but they have a solid goalie and are playing above the 50% mark territorially.  When I watch Buffalo I think they are awful and they're at 44% of the shots at even strength, and it seems to be, if anything, getting worse.  (They got totally smoked in their win over Montreal)  Philadelphia is right around 50%, and while I don't think Bryzgalov is particularly great, they seem like the best team 'on paper' behind us and the Rangers.

3 games against not great opponents coming up, I think if NJ can get 5 of 6 here they're in the playoffs.  2 or less of 6 and it's going to be trouble.

Injuries down the stretch to them would really hurt - they have zero depth and even less that they got rid of Halpern.  I still think they're a favorite to make it but a few bounces the wrong way would send them out of it.

All reasonable points Tri.  Devils need to really clean up points wise here the next three or four games, especially with how tough that last week of the season may be.  Ideally though I think you would agree, the Devils probably need to get to that 6 seed again. 

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#32 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

If it's closer to 2 and not 4...then we can survive this

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#33 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

strange fall, he just tripped... good news nothing is broke.....maybe the time off actually helps him

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,729 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

On the PP, I'd like to see them use Zajac on the 1st PP point - so the PP units would be something like -

Henrique-Elias-Clarkson-Zajac-Zidlicky

Loktionov-D'Agostini-Bernier-Greene-Harrold

I'll be curious how this PP fares - we'll get a real sense of how much Kovalchuk adds to the power play.

#35 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

It took them 4 minutes to even get set up last night. Better figure something out.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#36 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,104 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

On the PP, I'd like to see them use Zajac on the 1st PP point - so the PP units would be something like -

Henrique-Elias-Clarkson-Zajac-Zidlicky

Loktionov-D'Agostini-Bernier-Greene-Harrold

I'll be curious how this PP fares - we'll get a real sense of how much Kovalchuk adds to the power play.

It's possible it looks better if they get some practice time. Yesterday was not a good start obviously, but I think this is something that can be beneficial. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#37 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

It's possible it looks better if they get some practice time. Yesterday was not a good start obviously, but I think this is something that can be beneficial. 

Yes, but this team has a tendency to lose a big player, make adjustments, start doing well, get the player back and then go right back to what they were doing before they lost the player whether for the better or worse.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#38 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

After the way he slid into the board yesterday this is the best I could have hoped for

#39 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

God dammit we just can't catch a break. Even if he returns in 4 weeks this is still terrible news.

fvck.

Players better step up

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#40 Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

NOt for nothing, but I'd like to see a different approach with the powerplay without kovy. being at 19 in the league.  

3308166.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users