37 replies to this topic

#21 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

Like I said with the UFA headaches they'll have after next season we should try and lure Malkin.

they'll gladly toss the other guys overboard (minus Crosby) to pay Malkin whatever he wants. You can replace Kunitz and all their defenseman except maybe Letang bc he's unique but you can't replace Malkin. I think Crosby even said he knows Geno's cap hit's gonna be higher than his 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#22 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:55 AM

Only way to get Malkin out of Pittsburgh is if we somehow find a brother or two of his and sign them. Unless, of course, he wants to be The Guy on a team, rather than play on Sid's Team. But I don't think he's that type of person.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#23 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

I was talking about this with my brothers the other day and basically we thought it would be in Malkin's best interest to leave Pitt. I don't know if he would leave but we were saying that:
A) if malkin wants to be "thee" guy then he should leave Pitt. He gets treated as Crosby's sidekick way too often.
B) if he went to a team that didnt have another ridiculous near 9m cap hit contract on the books (like how it is in Pitt with him and Crosby) then he would likely be able to play with better players.
C) Malkin has always played his best when Crosby is out of the lineup. Well, maybe the best he ever played was their cup run where he was dominant, but the majority of the time you get the best out of malkin when Crosby isn't around.
D) This is probably the least important, at least I think it would be, but alot of the Russian players like playing together. There's a lot of emphasis put on the Russian connection in free agency, and maybe malkin would like to go to a team with more players that speak his first language.

Just some thoughts, not saying he should come to NJ or even that the devils would be involved. I don't think the devils could take on essentially a max contract with vanderbeek has the owner. Obviously I would like them to try to get him, I just don't think that's realistic at all. These are just reasons why I think he should leave pitt.

#24 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

I was talking about this with my brothers the other day and basically we thought it would be in Malkin's best interest to leave Pitt. I don't know if he would leave but we were saying that:
A) if malkin wants to be "thee" guy then he should leave Pitt. He gets treated as Crosby's sidekick way too often.
B) if he went to a team that didnt have another ridiculous near 9m cap hit contract on the books (like how it is in Pitt with him and Crosby) then he would likely be able to play with better players.
C) Malkin has always played his best when Crosby is out of the lineup. Well, maybe the best he ever played was their cup run where he was dominant, but the majority of the time you get the best out of malkin when Crosby isn't around.
D) This is probably the least important, at least I think it would be, but alot of the Russian players like playing together. There's a lot of emphasis put on the Russian connection in free agency, and maybe malkin would like to go to a team with more players that speak his first language.

Just some thoughts, not saying he should come to NJ or even that the devils would be involved. I don't think the devils could take on essentially a max contract with vanderbeek has the owner. Obviously I would like them to try to get him, I just don't think that's realistic at all. These are just reasons why I think he should leave pitt.

A) Some players rather have a chance of winning the cup every year than always being "the guy"

B) I really do not know another team that would have better players for him to play around than Pitt.

C) See A

D) You are right.  It is not important at all and I really doubt he cares that much about it.

#25 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Pens trade for Murray, per LeBrun.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#26 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Pens trade for Murray, per LeBrun.

Douglas Murray, the slow as molasses d-man from SJS?

#27 Default

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Douglas Murray, the slow as molasses d-man from SJS?

Yup

Edited by Default, 25 March 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#28 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

Sharks fans not exactly lamenting the loss http://www.fearthefi...ond-round-picks

#29 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

A) Some players rather have a chance of winning the cup every year than always being "the guy"
B) I really do not know another team that would have better players for him to play around than Pitt.
C) See A
D) You are right. It is not important at all and I really doubt he cares that much about it.

Idk how u can say that you don't think another team would have better players. He doesn't play with Crosby. He plays with Neal who is good and then any random plug that they can throw on his line. Say he went to Detroit and got to play with zetterberg how is that not better? And the pens get hyped up every year to win the cup cause they have Crosby and malkin but realistically they need to improve in goal and defensively to have a chance. I think they are good and I think they are an ECF team but not a cup team.

Edited by njd3b1ink, 25 March 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#30 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Overpaid big-time for Murray. Two 2nd round picks (one of which is conditional) is a pretty high price for Murray as a rental. Shero's officially trigger happy..

#31 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Murray has not been very good the last two years.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#32 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Idk how u can say that you don't think another team would have better players. He doesn't play with Crosby. He plays with Neal who is good and then any random plug that they can throw on his line. Say he went to Detroit and got to play with zetterberg how is that not better? And the pens get hyped up every year to win the cup cause they have Crosby and malkin but realistically they need to improve in goal and defensively to have a chance. I think they are good and I think they are an ECF team but not a cup team.

After Zetterberg and Datsyuk their offensive talent drops off quite a bit.

#33 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

After Zetterberg and Datsyuk their offensive talent drops off quite a bit.

Ok, but I'm talking about who HE gets to play with. Meaning what players he ends up centering. In Pitt they just throw garbage on his line. Why would he want to keep doing that where he could have much better players on his wings and dominate the league more so than now. This is comparable to the devs 2011 season and then the 2012 season. Kovy's winger went from palmeri to Parise. And guess what his numbers went up and he was much more happy.

#34 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Ok, but I'm talking about who HE gets to play with. Meaning what players he ends up centering. In Pitt they just throw garbage on his line. Why would he want to keep doing that where he could have much better players on his wings and dominate the league more so than now. This is comparable to the devs 2011 season and then the 2012 season. Kovy's winger went from palmeri to Parise. And guess what his numbers went up and he was much more happy.

James Neal's probably going to put up better numbers than Zetterberg for the next few years since Henrik's older. So Detroit's kinda not the best comparison. He can't just go find players as good as Neal on whatever team he wants. And he's already leading the league in scoring last year w/ Pit. Is he gonna put up 200 points on Edmonton with Hall/Eberle? No probably not  

Edited by DH26, 25 March 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#35 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

James Neal's probably going to put up better numbers than Zetterberg for the next few years since Henrik's older. So Detroit's kinda not the best comparison. He can't just go find players as good as Neal on whatever team he wants. And he's already leading the league in scoring last year w/ Pit. Is he gonna put up 200 points on Edmonton with Hall/Eberle? No probably not

Neal's recent stats are also a product of playing with malkin (and Crosby occasionally) he was never putting up points like this until he went to Pitt and got put on a line with malkin. And if malkin goes to another team he shouldn't have complete trash on his other wing.

#36 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

I think murrays a good fit in Pittsburgh and a change of scenery can do him good.

#37 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:20 AM

Murray's a solid grab. A big stay at home defender. He and Orpik are both going to be solid for clearing players from the crease.

#38 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:32 AM

its a great move for them. by now we've seen the formula theyre going with and it works. with the heavy contracts of malkin/Crosby/fleury, they fill their roster very well with young talent and aging veterans.

because lets face it, Crosby and Malkin can have chemistry with ANYONE

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users