5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

Semin's extension brings the Canes to $6 million in cap space to fill out a minimum of five roster spots next season. Will be very interesting to see how they deal with it. Perhaps they have to amnesty Cam Ward. Absent that, they'll have a lot of trouble upgrading their defense in the long run. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#2 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

I was about to say at least they have a fairly cheap young player like Jeff Skinner but I forgot his extension kicks in next year carrying a cap hit of $5.725M as a 21 year old. Wow. They really would be better off if Cam Ward's cap hit of $6.3M was gone. He's got 3 years left. I suppose they could have a 20 year old Ryan Murphy on D to help with some of the cost. Though his cap hit is inflated to $1,344,167 due to bonuses I guess. Maybe a young forward like Victor Rask will be ready by then, I really have no idea. Should be interesting to see what they do.

I do like the move to keep Semin though.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#3 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Off topic but Vancouver only has $9,796,667 in cap space with 14 roster spots accounted for. Compare that to the Devils who also have 14 spots accounted for but $32,087,500 in cap space.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,075 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

They won't be upgrading their D probably, but they will likely let Corvo walk and use Murphy in his role next season.  Tuomo Ruutu's contract can probably be moved for a similarly bad D contract (Volchenkov for Ruutu?)

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

They won't be upgrading their D probably, but they will likely let Corvo walk and use Murphy in his role next season. Tuomo Ruutu's contract can probably be moved for a similarly bad D contract (Volchenkov for Ruutu?)

I only mention upgrading their defense, because the Canes have been quite open about wanting to do that. A decent veteran defenseman comes with a $2 million cap hit, and Murphy for Corvo is more or less a wash cap wise.

Volchenkov is not waiving his NTC to play in Carolina.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#6 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Semin likes the BBQ down here.
It's the whiskey talking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users