69 replies to this topic

#41 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

If absolutely nothing else, he could play better 4th line minutes than Barch, Sestito, or Pesonen and DEFINITELY help us with the shootout. Unless we have an internal salary cap there is no reason the Devils shouldn't claim him.

Does anyone know if buyout rules stayed the same? Can they buyout his contract next year if they decide this experiment didn't work and save a little cash?

#42 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,424 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

If he was SO good, why was he cut???

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#43 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

If he was SO good, why was he cut???

Canes aren't able to spend up to the cap. They also have about $20 million tied up in Semin and the Staal brothers. To sign Semin to  $7 million deal they may have thought to themselves we can count it as $4 million (plus another contract to replace Jokinen) if we cut Jokinen. Its some kind of creative internal cap maneuvering.

That being said, he is obviously not SO good. But his 5 goals in 30 games are more than our parade of 4th liners have had in 3+ seasons combined.

#44 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,961 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

I don't think he'll make it to us unfortunately.  

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#45 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

He's also not having the best year and maybe since they activated LaRose today, they thought it was time.
It's the whiskey talking.

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,725 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

If absolutely nothing else, he could play better 4th line minutes than Barch, Sestito, or Pesonen and DEFINITELY help us with the shootout. Unless we have an internal salary cap there is no reason the Devils shouldn't claim him.

Does anyone know if buyout rules stayed the same? Can they buyout his contract next year if they decide this experiment didn't work and save a little cash?

If you're claiming him for him to play 4th line minutes, forget it, he makes $3M and is used to getting 18 minutes a game.  And yeah, buyout rules are the same, and the Devils could use an amnesty on him, but either thing would be a colossal waste.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Let's see.   We've got 8 D so they have 2 of the 3 scratch spots.

Kovy, Elias, Zajac, Henrique, Clarkson, Loki, Zubrus, Carter, Bernier, Gionta, Poni, Barch, D'Agostini, Greek Guy, Hypothetical Jokinen.

I think that's it, everyone else has options or is Sestito.

That's not *that* bad.   2 guys would need to be waived.   Greek Guy obviously, the next one would be a little sketchy.   Gionta doesn't deserve to be waived, he just shouldn't be playing C.

If they really need to clear a roster spot they can always invent an injury for Barch the way they have had phantom injuries for goons when they needed a roster spot in the past :lol:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#48 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

If they really need to clear a roster spot they can always invent an injury for Barch the way they have had phantom injuries for goons when they needed a roster spot in the past :lol:

Upper body injury for a goon...

Defective brain.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

Jokinen still has some step left in him. Loved him in Dallas. He's not a goon and he has some talent. Lou will likely pass on him as a result.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 26 March 2013 - 04:45 PM.

at_midnight_1148.jpg

#50 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Jokinen still has some step left in him. Loved him in Dallas. He's not a goon and he has some talent. Lou will likely pass on him as a result.

I actually think Lou would claim him, but its what everyone else said- he probably won't make it to us. I mean this guy's name at its mere mention has caused me to involuntarily twitch since 2009, so it would figure that the Rags will probably wind up with him lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#51 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I actually think Lou would claim him, but its what everyone else said- he probably won't make it to us. I mean this guy's name at its mere mention has caused me to involuntarily twitch since 2009, so it would figure that the Rags will probably wind up with him lol.

I think I'd have to pull a lead pipe in a stairwell type deal if that happened. I'd have nightmares every night before playing the Rags. I don't think I'll ever remove the last few minutes of that game from my head. Frontal lobotomy, here I come!

Edited by ATLL765, 26 March 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#52 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,279 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I think I'd have to pull a lead pipe in a stairwell type deal if that happened. I'd have nightmares every night before playing the Rags. I don't think I'll ever remove the last few minutes of that game from my head. Frontal lobotomy, here I come!

Games 4 and 7... Been trying to forget 'em for 4 years. I truly wish I could burn that series from my memory, what an utter disaster.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#53 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Lou should pick him up for the simple fact that he's always had our number.

at_midnight_1148.jpg

#54 PacificDevil

PacificDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Lou should pick him up for the simple fact that he's always had our number.

LOL might as well lure Aleksey Morozov from KHL

#55 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

This would be a juicy fit.. and something much needed.. 

#56 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

Canes aren't able to spend up to the cap. They also have about $20 million tied up in Semin and the Staal brothers. To sign Semin to  $7 million deal they may have thought to themselves we can count it as $4 million (plus another contract to replace Jokinen) if we cut Jokinen. Its some kind of creative internal cap maneuvering.

That being said, he is obviously not SO good. But his 5 goals in 30 games are more than our parade of 4th liners have had in 3+ seasons combined.

it didn't affect how much they were paying this year. If he had any value, they would've held onto him for at least a trade possibility this summer or something. He's fallen off 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#57 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

it didn't affect how much they were paying this year. If he had any value, they would've held onto him for at least a trade possibility this summer or something. He's fallen off

and so have the Canes. A few more losses like last night and it will be a good summer.
It's the whiskey talking.

#58 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hey - his birthday is April 1st....  no fooling!

:rofl:  

I'm here for the party

#59 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

not a peep from the fronts, i find it hard to believe that he's not picked up yet.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#60 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

not a peep from the fronts, i find it hard to believe that he's not picked up yet.

They have to wait at 12h pm, he will land to the worst team who claim him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users