36 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

I can see NJ trading one of Gelinas/Urbom for help up front..we have a logjam forming at defense in Albany.

Well, you have to figure one of those guys graduates to full-time duty in the NHL, whether it's Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill.

That makes next year's A-Devs

2 of Gelinas/Urbom/Merrill

Burlon

Scarlett

But there it's a mystery, the Devils re-signed Young but I bet he's moved to forward, Hraberenka and McPherson are on AHL contracts, Kelly's RFA but hasn't impressed (afaik), Leach is probably on the way out, Corrente can't stay healthy - then you've got guys outside the NHL like Helgeson who aren't tearing it up.  And I saw the mystery man Stepan Stepanov got in a game a few weeks ago, so I guess he's in the mix too.

I think they'll bring in a veteran, whether that's keeping Corrente or adding from outside the organization, I don't know, but Albany doesn't look that logjammed to me unless I am forgetting someone.  By the time Severson arrives, Urbom is waiver eligible and would probably be gone or in the NHL.

Edited by Triumph, 27 March 2013 - 12:35 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Really glad to hear this! Thought it would be the case once it went public he was considering going pro.

#23 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Is he just not finishing college then? Seems kind of odd to stick with the decision to finish school for so long to just change his mind now. 

815631765.gif

#24 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

Is he just not finishing college then? Seems kind of odd to stick with the decision to finish school for so long to just change his mind now. 

He almost had a career ending injury this season so it wouldn't surprise me if people advised him, or he decided, that he needed to guarantee himself a good contract in case he suffered another major injury.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#25 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

He almost had a career ending injury this season so it wouldn't surprise me if people advised him, or he decided, that he needed to guarantee himself a good contract in case he suffered another major injury.

Yeah, he gets a contract, ELC or not, tomorrow he could find out he's got some heart defect and can't play sports, but then he'll at least have the money to settle in somewhere, go finish a degree, get a job. It'd be silly to give up the guarantee of money that would be sufficient to start your life and career with even if plan A goes to hell.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

A lot of hockey players also take summer classes so they can graduate in 3 years.  I think I read somewhere that Merrill is doing this.  In addition, his 'advisor' basically told the media last year that Jon didn't want to play in Albany if it could be avoided - wasn't hard to see the writing on the wall with 6 D already signed through next season and an impending lockout.

In my above post about the A-Devils, I forgot about Curtis Gedig who might be signed this year or next.

Edited by Triumph, 27 March 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#27 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

This is fantastic. Can he play in Albany this year or is he finishing out his year at Michigan?

Also, we've gotta deal one of our d men, it's ridiculous the log jam we have here and at Albany

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#28 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

This is fantastic. Can he play in Albany this year or is he finishing out his year at Michigan?

Also, we've gotta deal one of our d men, it's ridiculous the log jam we have here and at Albany

Read the rest of the thread.

#29 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Does Harrold hold any trde value now?

#30 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

i wouldnt trade Harrold, he seems to have better jumps, better hands and better shot than most of our dmen. We need that. Plus he's younger than most too.

www.SterioDesign.com

#31 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

i wouldnt trade Harrold, he seems to have better jumps, better hands and better shot than most of our dmen. We need that. Plus he's younger than most too.

not to mention a very reasonable price (projecting 2014).  I would think some team would be calling Lou for an inexpensive puck mover .  Assuming Fayne is not for sale I'd view harrold as valuable trade bait   although I too would like to resign him if zid is gone next year

btw why are they doing this to fayne?

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

He has plenty of trade value given his expiring contract and lack of salary, but why would you bother moving a cheap, serviceable defenseman?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#33 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

not to mention a very reasonable price (projecting 2014).  I would think some team would be calling Lou for an inexpensive puck mover .  Assuming Fayne is not for sale I'd view harrold as valuable trade bait   although I too would like to resign him if zid is gone next year

btw why are they doing this to fayne?

i dont know but i dont like it... obviously we have no clue Deboer obviously sat down with him and explained him why.

But again you can be who you want it's frustrating to sit while you see guys playing that shouldnt, they are pros and they won't say a thing but it's certainly hard on you and frustrating.

www.SterioDesign.com

#34 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

I imagine Harrold's Zidlicky's replacement if they can keep him/don't trust Gelinas to do the same job 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#35 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well, you have to figure one of those guys graduates to full-time duty in the NHL, whether it's Gelinas, Urbom, or Merrill.

That makes next year's A-Devs

2 of Gelinas/Urbom/Merrill
Burlon
Scarlett

But there it's a mystery, the Devils re-signed Young but I bet he's moved to forward, Hraberenka and McPherson are on AHL contracts, Kelly's RFA but hasn't impressed (afaik), Leach is probably on the way out, Corrente can't stay healthy - then you've got guys outside the NHL like Helgeson who aren't tearing it up. And I saw the mystery man Stepan Stepanov got in a game a few weeks ago, so I guess he's in the mix too.

I think they'll bring in a veteran, whether that's keeping Corrente or adding from outside the organization, I don't know, but Albany doesn't look that logjammed to me unless I am forgetting someone. By the time Severson arrives, Urbom is waiver eligible and would probably be gone or in the NHL.

Can we really look at it this way...you need your protypical veteran defensmen on the roster then you also need to give development time as well. There are too many quality young defenseman on that roster for next year. I see one getting packaged.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Can we really look at it this way...you need your protypical veteran defensmen on the roster then you also need to give development time as well. There are too many quality young defenseman on that roster for next year. I see one getting packaged.

This strikes me as one of those non-problems.  Throw in 2 veteran D and include Hraberenka and McPherson and that's 8 guys.  The issue is clearing up the NHL depth chart so one of the rookies gets their chance next year.

#37 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Assist in his first AHL game, and more importantly, JANSSEN SCORES!!! Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users