172 replies to this topic

#121 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I thought Iginla wanted a long term deal somewhere. I guess that was a ruse. He just wanted to anchor himself to a definite cup contender.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#122 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

I dont know how any sane person can think we match up well against Pitt come playoff time.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#123 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

id rather see the devils do a mid range long term kind of trade or even nothing than throwing assets for a rental that may not be worth it if we don't make a run.

What i'd really want Lou to do is to get assets without hurting the team too much, and i strongly believe that dealing any of our current older dmen wouldnt hurt that much. they've been in and out and its been the same results, if he could get a second or a prospect for one of them. Go for it Lou, deep draft, deep draft

I dont know how any sane person can think we match up well against Pitt come playoff time.

anything can happen, Fleury can sh!t the bed again, their Dcorp can collapse, they can struggle on offence and panic. Look at last year against Philly it was pathetic.

www.SterioDesign.com

#124 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

No one wants any of the older D players on our squad. They're injury prone and on bad contracts.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#125 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Iginla
Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy
Bennett - Glass - Cooke

I don't know how any sane person can think anyone matches up well to that.

That 1st line is top notch. That 2nd line is better than 90% of 1st lines and arguably better than all of them. Third line makes an argument for among the best 3rd lines in hockey, too.

#126 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

It's more of the type of team Pittsburgh would rather play than who NJ would rather play.     Pittsburgh is 4-5 vs. NJ the last 2 seasons.   Not a matchup they'd be truly looking forward to.

"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#127 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

They don't, but the Devils have tons of depth and I don't think Morrow, Iginla, and Murray are all that good.  And being an underdog to someone would be a nice feeling after 10+ years on this board where it's always temper tantrums when the Devils lose.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#128 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

They don't, but the Devils have tons of depth and I don't think Morrow, Iginla, and Murray are all that good.  And being an underdog to someone would be a nice feeling after 10+ years on this board where it's always temper tantrums when the Devils lose.

we were underdogs last year in the 2-4th rounds (well most people thought we were against the Rangers) and we won so it wouldn't surprise me if people stil through tantrums if we didn't come through this year 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#129 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Iginla
Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy
Bennett - Glass - Cooke

I don't know how any sane person can think anyone matches up well to that.

That 1st line is top notch. That 2nd line is better than 90% of 1st lines and arguably better than all of them. Third line makes an argument for among the best 3rd lines in hockey, too.

Morrow's shot, Kennedy isn't that good, Glass is hot garbage, Bennett's never played checking minutes before, Cooke isn't anything special, Iginla isn't what he once was. They're not that different than they were. Probably a little better maybe just because of depth I guess but they're not the 02 Red Wings now. we knew they had the best 2 centers in hte league and did last year too. They've still got hot garbage in net too 

#130 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I agree. I would enjoy seeing the Devils as an extreme underdog actually as I dont have very high expectations for this team as constituted.

But there is also the risk of this team getting demolished as well which probably raises more questions than answers going forward.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#131 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

It is getting ugly in Calgary.  Charelli in Boston claims they had a verbal agreement at Noon yesterday and all Calgary had to do was confirm with Iginla.   Apparently, Jarome nixed the Bruins deal and Fletcher never told Charelli.   Boston had a much better offer on the table now Flames fans want Fletcher fired.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#132 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

I think what Iginla did to the Flames was kind of messed up

1) Announces a list of a few teams he is willing to go which included Boston

2) Calgary has a deal with Boston they admit they liked more

3) He says he'd rather go to Pittsburgh, forcing Feaster to take an inferior deal

I kind of feel bad for Feaster because his hand was clearly forced and he was never going to win a trade that dealt Iginla. Why create a 'competition' if you aren't going to take the best deal or even close to it. I guess Iginla was trying to do Calgary a favor, but in the end, he just jerked everyone around for a few days. 

#133 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

I'm hoping this ends up like Karl Malone. Talented player wants to anchor himself to a definite champion. Ends up losing to an underdog. Retires without ring.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#134 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm hoping this ends up like Karl Malone. Talented player wants to anchor himself to a definite champion. Ends up losing to an underdog. Retires without ring.

That underdog, is going to be the winnipeg jets. Heard it here folks.

#135 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I think the devils system matches up against the pens system well. I would take a shot at them. It's the same how the rags system is good against the flyers, and the leafs against the pens, and the bruins against us.

#136 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

This trade really seems like an afterthought. I think Iginla wanted to go to the Pens all along and handcuffed Feaster. It was either get something back or nothing and watch me walk. I don't think Shero was all in this. More like the offer was made and Shero gave something and Feaster had to take it. Pitt wasn't exactly in need of a guy like Iginla.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#137 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

This trade really seems like an afterthought. I think Iginla wanted to go to the Pens all along and handcuffed Feaster. It was either get something back or nothing and watch me walk. I don't think Shero was all in this. More like the offer was made and Shero gave something and Feaster had to take it. Pitt wasn't exactly in need of a guy like Iginla.

It sounds like he just wanted to go to Pitt more than Boston but would've gone there if Pitt's offer wasn't acceptable to CGY. If Pitt didn't put anything like the 1st rounder in, why would Calgary have done it? Pittsburgh could've theoretically offered Tanner Glass and Deryk Engelland if Cgy had to take whatever they were gonna offer 

Edited by DH26, 28 March 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#138 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

this is going to make for an interesting pens bruins showdown. obviously I hope we throw a monkey wrench into it but if not it should be fun to watch

#139 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

I feel some hypocrisy here a little... Dumping murray, morrow and iginla on an already awesome team is HUGE. Now some people are downplaying it trying to say its no big deal and that they are not that good.

I mean... Seriously.. Come on... If Lou would have pull that off those deals there would be a lineup to his office to give him flowers and people would build a gold statue of him.

Youre telling me adding iginla and morrow (2 nhl captains who were on the gold canada team 2 years ago) to a team on a 12 games winning streak without 2 of their best players and best players in the world is no big deal and that they are not that good? And turn around and say that for us getting zubrus and ponikarovsky back should put us to the top with a crazy deep team?

Come on. Seriously.

That being said i wouldnt say that the pens will win the cup 100% sure, paper doesnt win cup. But those moves were far from nothing.

www.SterioDesign.com

#140 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

I fully expect when these two teams face each other next Ray´╗┐ Shero to come out before the puck drops and go "IT'S ME BOSTON! IT'S ME BOSTON! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG BOSTON!"

n2eg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users