172 replies to this topic

#141 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:08 PM

I feel some hypocrisy here a little... Dumping murray, morrow and iginla on an already awesome team is HUGE. Now some people are downplaying it trying to say its no big deal and that they are not that good.

I mean... Seriously.. Come on... If Lou would have pull that off those deals there would be a lineup to his office to give him flowers and people would build a gold statue of him.

Youre telling me adding iginla and morrow (2 nhl captains who were on the gold canada team 2 years ago) to a team on a 12 games winning streak without 2 of their best players and best players in the world is no big deal and that they are not that good? And turn around and say that for us getting zubrus and ponikarovsky back should put us to the top with a crazy deep team?

Come on. Seriously.

That being said i wouldnt say that the pens will win the cup 100% sure, paper doesnt win cup. But those moves were far from nothing.

Agreed. No one in the east is going to stop the Pens from reaching the SCF. If the Blackhawks aren't the team they face in the Finals the cup is as good as theirs this season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#142 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Agreed. No one in the east is going to stop the Pens from reaching the SCF. If the Blackhawks aren't the team they face in the Finals the cup is as good as theirs this season.

Guess there's no point in watching, then. Does it make them deeper? Yes. But every time a team makes some moves, the hockey media (and this board) hand them the cup. So far this season, the Rangers, Wild, Blackhawks, and Pittsburgh have all had their names engraved. They are a favorite, but they will have to earn it. They collapsed last season and an 8 seed played a 6 seed for the cup.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#143 PacificDevil

PacificDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

They obviously are huge favorites but so what? As a Devils fan most and foremost I'm focused on wanting Devils to make playoffs, then beating whoever they meet in Round 1 if it happens to be Pitts it's a tough opponent but so is Boston, Montreal or anyone else

#144 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:24 AM

Guess there's no point in watching, then. Does it make them deeper? Yes. But every time a team makes some moves, the hockey media (and this board) hand them the cup. So far this season, the Rangers, Wild, Blackhawks, and Pittsburgh have all had their names engraved. They are a favorite, but they will have to earn it. They collapsed last season and an 8 seed played a 6 seed for the cup.

I get what you're saying. Even with Gretzky and Messier the Rags didn't go anywhere. But here we've got a Pittsburgh club that had won like 12 straight without their new acquisitions, no Malkin and no Letang. Malkin is back, Iginla will start next game probably. Morrow and Murray have already been assimilated. Pittsburgh has proven they can beat MTL and BOS without the newly added talent. PHI is pretty much done so they won't be in   playoffs to beat on Pittsburgh. It would take an historical collapse for the Pens to not make it to the SCF. Odds are they will make it to the SCF.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#145 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I feel some hypocrisy here a little... Dumping murray, morrow and iginla on an already awesome team is HUGE. Now some people are downplaying it trying to say its no big deal and that they are not that good.

I mean... Seriously.. Come on... If Lou would have pull that off those deals there would be a lineup to his office to give him flowers and people would build a gold statue of him.

Youre telling me adding iginla and morrow (2 nhl captains who were on the gold canada team 2 years ago) to a team on a 12 games winning streak without 2 of their best players and best players in the world is no big deal and that they are not that good? And turn around and say that for us getting zubrus and ponikarovsky back should put us to the top with a crazy deep team?

Come on. Seriously.

That being said i wouldnt say that the pens will win the cup 100% sure, paper doesnt win cup. But those moves were far from nothing.

Not saying the pens are bad, cause I really think this is their conference to take now, but they aren't unbeatable. I think the devils match up well systematically against the pens. Idk how much you have watched of the pens/sharks/stars/or flames but really the only move that I think makes the pens better significantly is the iginla trade. If the devils got morrow or Murray I would not be happy. They are just not good players. Iginla on the other hand I would be happy getting. But if you've watched the pens over the course of this season and last season it's apparent that they need an upgrade on D and not offense, and they didnt get that.
So to recap, yes the pens are better now than a week ago but adding morrow and Murray are weak additions, and adding iginla was unnecessary. I think the pens are the best in the conference right now, but they are definitely not a lock by any means to win it all or to even get out of the east.

#146 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

I get what you're saying. Even with Gretzky and Messier the Rags didn't go anywhere. But here we've got a Pittsburgh club that had won like 12 straight without their new acquisitions, no Malkin and no Letang. Malkin is back, Iginla will start next game probably. Morrow and Murray have already been assimilated. Pittsburgh has proven they can beat MTL and BOS without the newly added talent. PHI is pretty much done so they won't be in playoffs to beat on Pittsburgh. It would take an historical collapse for the Pens to not make it to the SCF. Odds are they will make it to the SCF.

The pens have gone on massive streaks like this the last 3 seasons and always peak too early. Not saying they will collapse again this time, but it's definitely a possibility. Also the flyers aren't the only team that can beat the penguins. The leafs own them and the devils play them very well. I have friends that are pens fans that are worried about hitting either team in the playoffs.

#147 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,757 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:40 AM

I wouldnt necessarely pin them as SCF but the moves they made are not move who could screw chemistry or anything, they got 2 incredible guy and leaders who would fit like a glove on ANY teams in the league. Its not like getting... Some kind of one dimensional big time scorer who may not fit in a system or fit well with the guys.

Iginla and morrow are dripping intangibles and will help that team, anyone saying the opposite is either jealous or in denial.

Especially after saying that... Adding zubrus, ponikarovsky to an average team will put them to the top and that loktionov and poni were great great deals for what Lou gave up and then say that the pens giving almost nothing to add 3 players that WILL help a team that was already on top is not that great of a deal. Lol seriously if anyone is thinking that he has to stopkidding himself there. It sucks to give credits to rival teams but gotta face the facts here.

But again they could collapse and a key injury or fleury and vokoun sh!tting the bed could kill them again

Edited by SterioDesign, 29 March 2013 - 12:42 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#148 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:50 AM

I wouldnt necessarely pin them as SCF but the moves they made are not move who could screw chemistry or anything, they got 2 incredible guy and leaders who would fit like a glove on ANY teams in the league. Its not like getting... Some kind of one dimensional big time scorer who may not fit in a system or fit well with the guys.

Iginla and morrow are dripping intangibles and will help that team, anyone saying the opposite is either jealous or in denial.

Especially after saying that... Adding zubrus, ponikarovsky to an average team will put them to the top and that loktionov and poni were great great deals for what Lou gave up and then say that the pens giving almost nothing to add 3 players that WILL help a team that was already on top is not that great of a deal. Lol seriously if anyone is thinking that he has to stopkidding himself there. It sucks to give credits to rival teams but gotta face the facts here.

But again they could collapse and a key injury or fleury and vokoun sh!tting the bed could kill them again

Morrow will bring leadership but that's it really. He's not bill Guerin, where he can still play. He's basically ganna be a 4th liner at this point. Iginla is the only one out of the 3 that I think will make an on ice impact. And I don't think the devils have a shot at a cup unless they made a move for a good forward for their 1st line but poni and zubrus are identity players to this club. Them missing is really affecting our team.
If I'm breaking down the pens and devils into 4 categories (offense, defense, goaltending, and coaching) it would shake out like this:
Offense-pens have the edge by a wide margin.
Defense-slight edge to the devils. Like devils game by committee and systematically much more than the pens. Match up systematically better against Pittsburgh. Don't like pens 3rd d pairing at all
Goaltending-draw. Broduer hasn't been stellar this year but fluery is not that good of a goaltender and not a great clutch goaltender either.
Coaching-Devils. Look at the devils/pens matchup over the last 3-4 seasons and it shows we get the W's more times then not.

Edited by njd3b1ink, 29 March 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#149 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

Morrow will bring leadership but that's it really. He's not bill Guerin, where he can still play. He's basically ganna be a 4th liner at this point. Iginla is the only one out of the 3 that I think will make an on ice impact. And I don't think the devils have a shot at a cup unless they made a move for a good forward for their 1st line but poni and zubrus are identity players to this club. Them missing is really affecting our team.
If I'm breaking down the pens and devils into 4 categories (offense, defense, goaltending, and coaching) it would shake out like this:
Offense-pens have the edge by a wide margin.
Defense-slight edge to the devils. Like devils game by committee and systematically much more than the pens. Match up systematically better against Pittsburgh. Don't like pens 3rd d pairing at all
Goaltending-draw. Broduer hasn't been stellar this year but fluery is not that good of a goaltender and not a great clutch goaltender either.
Coaching-Devils. Look at the devils/pens matchup over the last 3-4 seasons and it shows we get the W's more times then not.

If Brenden Morrow is a 4th liner then this team is stacked solid.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#150 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

If Brenden Morrow is a 4th liner then this team is stacked solid.

Have you watched morrow play lately? He sure as hell isn't breaking the top 2 lines on 90% of the NHL teams. And the pens are really really good on offense. Having amazing offense doesn't mean sh!t if you got only 2 defense lines and sub par goaltending. There's a reason the caps and flyers were never able to score their way to a championship.

#151 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

Have you watched morrow play lately? He sure as hell isn't breaking the top 2 lines on 90% of the NHL teams. And the pens are really really good on offense. Having amazing offense doesn't mean sh!t if you got only 2 defense lines and sub par goaltending. There's a reason the caps and flyers were never able to score their way to a championship.

Look at it this way and maybe you can see my point in my previous post. The Pens are so deep that Morrow will be playing on the 4th line. If we got Morrow he would have been on the 2nd line for sure.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#152 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

Look at it this way and maybe you can see my point in my previous post. The Pens are so deep that Morrow will be playing on the 4th line. If we got Morrow he would have been on the 2nd line for sure.

I don't think so. Bernier and Gionta have comparable stats, arguably better than morrow. With all the injures we have now then yeah he would be on a somewhere in the top 3 lines but when healthy hes a fringe 3rd liner more than likely a 4th. Watch him play, he's done.

#153 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:25 AM

I don't think so. Bernier and Gionta have comparable stats, arguably better than morrow. With all the injures we have now then yeah he would be on a somewhere in the top 3 lines but when healthy hes a fringe 3rd liner more than likely a 4th. Watch him play, he's done.

Morrow's actually got career numbers that are similar to Zubrus rather than Gionta and Bernier. Zubrus is one of our second line guys.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#154 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:28 AM

Morrow's actually got career numbers that are similar to Zubrus rather than Gionta and Bernier. Zubrus is one of our second line guys.

Morrow's career numbers don't mean anything when talking about this season. Hes declines considerably over the last 2-3 seasons and THIS SEASON he's about as affective as our 4th liners.

#155 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Let's wait until the Stanley Cup finals are over before giving Pens the cup. Before that they haven't won sh!t!

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#156 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

And?....Its all apples to oranges.

Morrow and Iginla were not badly needed by the Pens. Lets see how their D and goaltending holds up in the playoffs. Murray was a great pickup.

#157 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,389 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

No one will stop the Pens as long as Crosby is healthy, far too much quality depth in every position.

It will be interesting to see Paul Martin and Oduya in a Hawks/Pens final.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#158 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,982 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I'm glad some of you guys aren't on the team. What a bunch of quitters some of you are. Its pathetic.

#159 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

Well Sterio and friends of that mindset - I think we as fans don't need to get in a panic. As a fan I get to see both sides of the acquisitions - for me there are enough variables to see this at it's VERY BEST is just icing on the cake. That's it. Pens were good enough. So they get stronger - as a fan I'm pretty sure the Devils will end up in the same position whether Iginla is on the Pens of not. It'll make games more fun I think either way - if they screw with the chemistry then epic fails are always a gas to watch. If they improve upon an already strong team then we'll see some nice hockey - some nice moves good pairings sweet aggression be it hits or just powering guys off the puck... EDIT - Marrow was a sort of hmm.. move.  Sort of a throw you a little off balance - "what's going on here?" move. I am always referring just to Iginla because he sealed the deal - he was clarification of a message that really shouldn't have been clarified strategically speaking.  He was the tipping point turning the moves into bluster as far as psychological impact {OR puts a big target on Malkins back} - it may play out well on ice - that remains to be seen so I can't speak to that yet - no one can.

As a team - if I were a devils player - well what you've got to know is that any and every team is that good. You can't take any one for granted. Any little sh!t out there can suddenly prove himself an Iginla (or Crosby or Malkin) on ANY team. It's serious and these guys just upped the anti for every team psychologically. It's getting the whole league ramped up and making the Devils job that much tougher and giving them that much more reason to take things seriously now. No team is easy, and with the Pens making this statement they ratcheted up EVERYONE'S motivation. if playoffs were going to be tough before they just got a whole lot tougher - Pens just made every team that much tougher,   and you dont know where it's coming from, everyone wants you out now more than even before -- so teams have to step up and find the focus and stamina and vision.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 29 March 2013 - 08:29 AM.

I'm here for the party

#160 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

If the Pens play the Bruins in the playoffs the Pens will likely lose two guys to injuries in that series.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users