610 replies to this topic

#521 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,483 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Lol what an awful trade by the Caps. What is McPhee doing. Erat is aging and getting a lot of injuries, Foresberg is one hell of a prospect.

Sometimes GMs have to fight to live another day. Caps can still win the division, and if so, probably have a solid chance against Ottawa or Toronto. Just get in and you have a chance. But they need to get in, and McPhee has to get in to keep his job at the very least.

The question is...couldn't you have gotten more than Erat for Forsberg?

Edited by devilsrule33, 03 April 2013 - 05:18 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#522 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,648 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

I have to admit it's comical that Pominville and freaking Martin Erat went for king's ransom prices while Gaborik basically fetches back a dissapointing center and an injured forward (Dorsett isn't even playing this year) as the centerpieces.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#523 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

I have to admit it's comical that Pominville and freaking Martin Erat went for king's ransom prices while Gaborik basically fetches back a dissapointing center and an injured forward (Dorsett isn't even playing this year) as the centerpieces.

Glen Sather ladies and gentlemen.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#524 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

It's probably a decent example of how important cap hit is to a players value to a team.  Gaborik takes up $2-3 million more than the other guys next season.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#525 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,432 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

what do you mean Dorsett isnt even playing this year? he's averaging around 17min a game and played 24 games?

www.SterioDesign.com

#526 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

How do we now have 5 lines of forwards, not even counting Barch and Popodopolous?  I doubt we see Teddy or Josefson back up this season, which still leaves us with too many forwards.  And it doesn't even begin to take into account the cluster F on defense.

Lou is like those extreme coupon shoppers this season...they will buy anything in bulk so long as it's cheap, regardless of the fact that they can't possibly use 123,000 boxes of Ajax in their lifetime.

Tedenby's not coming back, but this idea that you can have too many players post-trade deadline is absurd.  The Devils a week ago played Tim Sestito and Stephen Gionta as their 3rd and 4th line centers.  Now we pick up one guy and we've got too many forwards?  Depth is critical, and the Devils don't have it at the minor league level.  Kostopoulos can fill in on a 3rd line in a pinch, but he shouldn't go anywhere near the top 2.  

As for the D, I can think of at least 4 years in the last 10 where the Devils rolled with 8 D, and another (last year) where they had 7 + a guy who was injured and returned for the playoffs.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#527 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:35 PM

'I have to admit it's comical that Pominville and freaking Martin Erat went for king's ransom prices while Gaborik basically fetches back a dissapointing center and an injured forward (Dorsett isn't even playing this year) as the centerpieces.
The question is this: are Ranger fans mad about this trade, or are they doing their typical spin job about how awesome the guys they got back are?
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#528 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

what do you mean Dorsett isnt even playing this year? he's averaging around 17min a game and played 24 games?

he's supposedly out for the year, he hasn't played since March 3.  He's actually better than I thought (I confused him with Jared Boll, who is awful).

#529 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Tedenby's not coming back, but this idea that you can have too many players post-trade deadline is absurd.  The Devils a week ago played Tim Sestito and Stephen Gionta as their 3rd and 4th line centers.  Now we pick up one guy and we've got too many forwards?  Depth is critical, and the Devils don't have it at the minor league level.  Kostopoulos can fill in on a 3rd line in a pinch, but he shouldn't go anywhere near the top 2.  

As for the D, I can think of at least 4 years in the last 10 where the Devils rolled with 8 D, and another (last year) where they had 7 + a guy who was injured and returned for the playoffs.

Relax dude.  My point was, with a roster limit of 23, and an ability to dress only 20 per night (including the 2 goalies), how can you have 17 forwards and 8 D?  That's why I don't see Teddy and Josefson coming back up, barring someone else getting sent down and/or released.    

:thumbsup:

Posted Image

#530 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

You don't have a roster limit post-trade deadline.  

#531 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

You don't have a roster limit post-trade deadline.  

And that's all you had to say...rather than your self righteous tirade about an opinion that I didn't even have.

Posted Image

#532 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

The question is this: are Ranger fans mad about this trade, or are they doing their typical spin job about how awesome the guys they got back are?

Oh they mad.  Read a few pages of the thread on hfboards, it's worth it.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#533 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Oh they mad. Read a few pages of the thread on hfboards, it's worth it.

Not to mention that one Ranger board poster thought they could get Zetterberg for Gaborik and Del Zotto.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#534 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,885 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

And that's all you had to say...rather than your self righteous tirade about an opinion that I didn't even have.

You claimed the Devils had too many forwards.  You never made any mention of where you thought any might go, or that you thought that the roster was 23 players.  How am I supposed to know you don't know that?

#535 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,492 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

But, on a slightly different topic, I feel quite bad for Luongo.  The guy just wants to play, seems to value pride over money.  Gave a great and kinda sad presser today.

"My contract sucks, I'd scrap it if I could"

I hope he gets bought out and gets a chance to play somewhere.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 03 April 2013 - 05:59 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#536 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

You claimed the Devils had too many forwards.  You never made any mention of where you thought any might go, or that you thought that the roster was 23 players.  How am I supposed to know you don't know that?

I am going to end it with this...I was commenting on proposed lines of another poster and stated that we had 5 lines without counting 2 players that he had left out.  I then said I didn't think Teddy and Josefson would be called back up because of the # of F's we currently have (not knowing the roster limit can exceed 23 after the deadline). 

If you don't think that's too many forwards, even without a roster limit, that's fine.  It's your opinion, but it doesn't automatically make my statement "absurd."  The reason people jump down your throat all the time is the absolute air of superiority you seem to feel you have when communicating your opinion.   

Posted Image

#537 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Still laughing at Glenn Sather getting garbage back for one of the premier guys in the league (even in a down year! LOL

#538 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Kostopoulos can fill in on a 3rd line in a pinch, but he shouldn't go anywhere near the top 2.  

​He shouldn't go anywhere near a 200 x 85 slab of concrete that has frozen water on it.

#539 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

But, on a slightly different topic, I feel quite bad for Luongo.  The guy just wants to play, seems to value pride over money.  Gave a great and kinda sad presser today.

"My contract sucks, I'd scrap it if I could"

I hope he gets bought out and gets a chance to play somewhere.

My heart goes out to him ...and that remaining 47 million or whatever it is he is gonna make.  Not sure how he gets out of bed in the morning.

#540 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Oh they mad. Read a few pages of the thread on hfboards, it's worth it.

. Word, I will definitely check it out.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users