61 replies to this topic

#21 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think it's only 1% on a 3 month payment plan.

That's 1% too much for any of the plans.  This isnt a mortgage on a house or anything like that.  It's friggin hockey tickets!

#22 devils744

devils744

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Universities and colleges charge interest/finance fees now too if you use a credit card. I'm taking 1 grad class a semester and if i want to pay via credit card i have to pay 2-3% interest/finance fee. Even some restaurants do too now. Welcome to 2013.

Edited by devils744, 29 March 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

The absolute balls on the Devils for charging interest for monthy payments for ticket plans is huge. I wonder how many season or partial ticket holders have been scared off by these.

Not many considering the Devils' increasing number of sth's the past three years.

I get the principle of the thing argument but really 1% of $5000 tickets (a pair in the lower bowl) is $50. That's basically their service charge lol.

But honestly, if an extra $50 is really that big a deal then you probably shouldn't be buying season tickets in the first place.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 29 March 2013 - 10:18 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

Not many considering the Devils' increasing number of sth's the past three years.

I get the principle of the thing argument but really 1% of $5000 tickets (a pair in the lower bowl) is $50. That's basically their service charge lol.

But honestly, if an extra $50 is really that big a deal then you probably shouldn't be buying season tickets in the first place.

Service charge for what though? You still buy every ticket before the game is played. That's not credit. I don't understand what the fee is for besides not having you pay for 9 months worth hockey at once. A fee covers the cost of something and it doesn't cost the Devils anything to charge you monthly. It'd be a totally different story if the plan allowed you to pay at the end of the month, for the tickets you've now already used. That makes sense. This, however, does not.

#25 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

Universities and colleges charge interest/finance fees now too if you use a credit card. I'm taking 1 grad class a semester and if i want to pay via credit card i have to pay 2-3% interest/finance fee. Even some restaurants do too now. Welcome to 2013.

That's the credit card companies service charge that they charge the university who then pass it on to the students.  The Devils interest is even if you pay with cash or check, which makes no sense.

The Devils are just trying to nickel and dime their fans.

#26 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

Service charge for what?  Handling your money that you are giving them?  If it was to process CC's then that's fine, but they charge this no matter what method you pay.  By that logic they should charge 1% "handling" charges when you buy food at the arena because they technically handle your money right before they place it in the register.

Edited by DevsMan84, 29 March 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Service charge for what though? You still buy every ticket before the game is played. That's not credit. I don't understand what the fee is for besides not having you pay for 9 months worth hockey at once. A fee covers the cost of something and it doesn't cost the Devils anything to charge you monthly.

No it doesn't 'cost' them anything except they don't get the interest on your money the extra months they have it if you pay in one lump sum.

I was just comparing it to the service charge in terms of it being a similar amount of money, I wasn't saying it was the service charge itself. Would you guys prefer they raised ticket prices 50 cents each with no interest, just so they're not 'transparent'? That's basically what we're talking about. It'd come out to the same bill anyway.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

No it doesn't 'cost' them anything except they don't get the interest on your money the extra months they have it if you pay in one lump sum.

I was just comparing it to the service charge in terms of it being a similar amount of money, I wasn't saying it was the service charge itself. Would you guys prefer they raised ticket prices 50 cents each with no interest, just so they're not 'transparent'? That's basically what we're talking about. It'd come out to the same bill anyway.

That's again a bunch of nickel and diming that's on the Devils.  How come other teams do not do that while the Devils do?  To put it on the fans for the interest that they may potentally lose if they do not get it all at once is as cheap as it comes.  If that's the way they look at this, then they shouldn't even accept or offer payment plans.

#29 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

What I do to pay in full and avoid these charges (as well as to have a chance to win a Dream Prize, which I was lucky enough to win this year) is I plan it out for the year ahead.. So for 2014 - 2015 I expect my tix could go up to $28 a piece.. That means over the next 12 months I need to save up about $2,500, or $209 a month.. I put that aside, collect my own interest on it, then pay in full next year.. So rather than having to pay off my tix after I renew, I basically pay them off before I renew

FWIW the Rangers don't pay taxes, have fewer team events and STH benefits than the Devils, and charge a sh!t ton more.. They've most likely built in that interest charge for everyone anyway.. Dolan has never been known for his generosity or caring about the little people, especially now with super high demand and a practically new building.. Devils apparently should just charge everyone more, remove the interest, and then create the perception that they don't charge interest

Edited by Colin226, 29 March 2013 - 11:20 AM.

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

What I do to pay in full and avoid these charges (as well as to have a chance to win a Dream Prize, which I was lucky enough to win this year) is I plan it out for the year ahead.. So for 2014 - 2015 I expect my tix could go up to $28 a piece.. That means over the next 12 months I need to save up about $2,500, or $209 a month.. I put that aside, collect my own interest on it, then pay in full next year.. So rather than having to pay off my tix after I renew, I basically pay them off before I renew

FWIW the Rangers don't pay taxes, have fewer events and benefits than the Devils, and charge a sh!t ton more.. They've most likely built in that interest charge for everyone anyway.. Dolan has never been known for his generosity or caring about the little people, especially now with super high demand and a new building.. Devils apparently should just charge everyone more, remove the interest, and then create the perception that they don't charge interest

lol well not everyone plans ahead like you so they choose the monthly payment plan. 

#31 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

The interest is not a big deal at all.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#32 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

lol well not everyone plans ahead like you so they choose the monthly payment plan.

Definitely which is why I was hoping to help some people with my strategy.. I definitely think that they should have 1 plan that doesn't have interest - maybe 3, 6, and 12 month plans with the 3-month not having interest..

I do see it from their side where they would be earning that interest had the tix been paid in full.. They factor that interest money into their budgets, so rather than charging everyone more and not having interest charges for any plan, they instead give you the option to pay interest if you want the plan.. That way people who pay in full aren't paying more
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#33 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

I see a lot of people here subscribe to the theory that sometimes it's better to give nothing than a little something?

Had the team left the STH bonuses from the lockout at that long list (which was in addition to the bonuses we were getting during a full season anyway) I think there wouldn't be all of this complaining.. The fact that they are offering something that some feel doesn't have much value just makes those STH pissed it isn't better.. Couple that with the fact that they had some interesting stuff to start the season and you have a lot of people with high expectations

The way I look at these Tuesday things, they're just little things from the team to remind STH they are thinking of them.. In reality, they already gave us a sufficient amount of perks and I personally don't feel entitled to more from the Devils all because I couldn't watch hockey for a few months

I will tell you why I am pissed off...

1.  I picked the "Early Access to the Equipment Sale/Draft Party" as a perk for LAST SEASON.  They NEVER HELD THE EVENT, AND NEVER GAVE A SUBSTITUTE IN IT'S PLACE!  They said they would, etc etc and NOTHING has been done.  INEXCUSABLE.

2.  All of the cool STH events they usually have is one of the main reasons I signed up for STH's.  Guess how many they had this season?  ZERO.  NONE.  NADA.  Not a single one.  Then they have the balls to send out Renewals AND Playoff Invoices?!?  Is this a joke?  The Devils have to be dead LAST in the NHL as far as fan relations go and doing the right thing.

3.  On top of what I said above, they email me garbage offers every Tuesday and call it a "perk"?!?  Kevin Clark recording my voicemail message?!?  A STH wallpaper for your iPhone or iPad?!?  Sorry but this is laughable at best.  I want the friggin perks we normally get. 

Edited by ThreeCups, 29 March 2013 - 11:52 AM.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#34 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

1.  I picked the "Early Access to the Equipment Sale/Draft Party" as a perk for LAST SEASON.  They NEVER HELD THE EVENT, AND NEVER GAVE A SUBSTITUTE IN IT'S PLACE!  They said they would, etc etc and NOTHING has been done.  INEXCUSABLE.

2.  All of the cool STH events they usually have is one of the main reasons I signed up for STH's.  Guess how many they had this season?  ZERO.  NONE.  NADA.  Not a single one.  Then they have the balls to send out Renewals AND Playoff Invoices?!?  Is this a joke?  The Devils have to be dead LAST in the NHL as far as fan relations go and doing the right thing.

3.  On top of what I said above, they email me garbage offers every Tuesday and call it a "perk"?!?  Kevin Clark recording my voicemail message?!?  A STH wallpaper for your iPhone or iPad?!?  Sorry but this is laughable at best.  I want the friggin perks we normally get. 

Very valid points, especially number 1.  Devils really know how to troll their own fans.

#35 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

But it's not a service charge. A service charge is more acceptable in my mind because it covers an actual service provided. This is just a fee for those who don't pay in total, months in advance. It's ridiculous. If they want to discount the price for early renewals/sign ups, go for it, but to charge more for having the same convenience given to you by every other company that sells a product on the planet, where you pay, then immediately get your product. Why do the Devils deserve to get paid, then you get your product over the next 9 months? That's ridiculous.

Again, I'd totally understand if there was an added benefit from the plan, like paying after getting your product, but there isn't. At least when the bank charges me a fee, it's because I overdrew my acct by 2 cents, so they at least let me borrow 2 cents before charging me $25 for nothing. For the fee the devils charge on the payment plans, you get absolutely no benefit you would not have been afforded while buying any other product, ever.

#36 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

The interest is not a big deal at all.

And like I said before if it is then people shouldn't be buying season tickets anyway.  I pay lump sum, if my only option was to pay on a plan I would definitely not be getting season tickets and just hunting StubHub and discount watching.  But that's just me.

I really don't get the hemming and hawing about it, at least not to the level it seems to offend people here.  Other than the reasoning of 'other teams don't do it'.  Fine.  But it's still not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Not compared to actually raising ticket prices almost 25% in my area anyway :P ($22-27)  

Edited by NJDevs4978, 29 March 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#37 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

That's again a bunch of nickel and diming that's on the Devils.  How come other teams do not do that while the Devils do?  To put it on the fans for the interest that they may potentally lose if they do not get it all at once is as cheap as it comes.  If that's the way they look at this, then they shouldn't even accept or offer payment plans.

When I last had a Yankees tickets plan in 2009, they charged a service/financing fee of 1 or 2% on accounts not paid in full by their specified date.  The Giants and Jets charged a financing % for PSL's not paid in full up front.  I'm not sure what other teams policies are, but this surely isn't unheard of.  I agree that it is probably unnecessary and is not the smartest PR move by the team, but I doubt it will scare away more than 5-10 people (at max) from buying season tickets. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 29 March 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

#38 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

When I last had a Yankees tickets plan in 2009, they charged a service/financing fee of 1 or 2% on accounts not paid in full by their specified date.  The Giants and Jets charged a financing % for PSL's not paid in full up front.  I'm not sure what other teams policies are, but this surely isn't unheard of.  I agree that it is probably unnecessary and is not the smartest PR move by the team, but I doubt it will scare away more than 5-10 people (at max) from buying season tickets. 

You may be right in that last line, but also the teams you mentioned do not exactly have much of an attendance issue and do no thave to rely on a constant stream of discount ticket offers to sell out like the Devils do.

#39 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

I see a lot of people here subscribe to the theory that sometimes it's better to give nothing than a little something?
Had the team left the STH bonuses from the lockout at that long list (which was in addition to the bonuses we were getting during a full season anyway) I think there wouldn't be all of this complaining.. The fact that they are offering something that some feel doesn't have much value just makes those STH pissed it isn't better.. Couple that with the fact that they had some interesting stuff to start the season and you have a lot of people with high expectations
The way I look at these Tuesday things, they're just little things from the team to remind STH they are thinking of them.. In reality, they already gave us a sufficient amount of perks and I personally don't feel entitled to more from the Devils all because I couldn't watch hockey for a few months

1. I picked the "Early Access to the Equipment Sale/Draft Party" as a perk for LAST SEASON. They NEVER HELD THE EVENT, AND NEVER GAVE A SUBSTITUTE IN IT'S PLACE! They said they would, etc etc and NOTHING has been done. INEXCUSABLE.

2. All of the cool STH events they usually have is one of the main reasons I signed up for STH's. Guess how many they had this season? ZERO. NONE. NADA. Not a single one. Then they have the balls to send out Renewals AND Playoff Invoices?!? Is this a joke? The Devils have to be dead LAST in the NHL as far as fan relations go and doing the right thing.

3. On top of what I said above, they email me garbage offers every Tuesday and call it a "perk"?!? Kevin Clark recording my voicemail message?!? A STH wallpaper for your iPhone or iPad?!? Sorry but this is laughable at best. I want the friggin perks we normally get.

1. Totally agree

2. I feel like you use this as partially a business so having these events is especially important to you and yeah I mean they did promise those so we should get them.. But I also realize that in a shortened season it's just tough to plan an event when they really have no idea what the practice schedule will be.. No organization puts fan events before the team's schedule.. Devils are no different.. So I see both sides on this issue

3. Still just do not agree that these Tuesday emails should be something of incredible value every week. They gave us more than enough to make up for - heaven forbid - not being able to watch a sport for several months.. There are bigger problems in life, and at what point do we (and I mean this generally to all NHL fans) stop demanding retributions for that? I am actually genuinely curious about that
Posted Image

#40 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,666 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

Well as for #2 and the 'STH events', they still have time.  I mean they just announced the Hockey 101 thing the other day.  They've still got to finalize the VIP Practice, Team Awards and Owner's Reception.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users