242 replies to this topic

#241 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Gio is terrible. I think it's more that PDB is having Gio play in situations he shouldn't be playing in; PKs and that last minute 6 on 5.

He's bad.  He brings virtually nothing to the table.  There is no sugarcoating it.  The advanced metrics bear this out.  He's terrible at face-offs, and any time he's out on the ice, the Devils are getting out-shot, pinned in their own zone and he just floats around hoping for his wingers to do the dirty work and keep the puck possession in gear.  For anybody who says he should be moved to wing, doesn't realize how awful he is along the boards and the fact that because of his size, he can't win any physical battles.

Deboer can be as stubborn as he wants to be, and maybe a part of it is that he's got no other alternatives.  But his insistence on playing Gionta up on the lines is holding other players down like an anchor, his matching of Gionta against Stamkos tonight was mind-blowing in it's idiocy.  When Josefson gets healthy, Gionta needs to be waived or healthy scratched the rest of the way and he shouldn't be brought back next year either. 

We can do significantly better than having him in the lineup, that's for darn sure.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#242 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

He's bad.  He brings virtually nothing to the table.  There is no sugarcoating it.  The advanced metrics bear this out.  He's terrible at face-offs, and any time he's out on the ice, the Devils are getting out-shot, pinned in their own zone and he just floats around hoping for his wingers to do the dirty work and keep the puck possession in gear.  For anybody who says he should be moved to wing, doesn't realize how awful he is along the boards and the fact that because of his size, he can't win any physical battles.

Deboer can be as stubborn as he wants to be, and maybe a part of it is that he's got no other alternatives.  But his insistence on playing Gionta up on the lines is holding other players down like an anchor, his matching of Gionta against Stamkos tonight was mind-blowing in it's idiocy.  When Josefson gets healthy, Gionta needs to be waived or healthy scratched the rest of the way and he shouldn't be brought back next year either. 

We can do significantly better than having him in the lineup, that's for darn sure.

There's a huge amount of middle ground between being a bad NHL center and being able to match up defensively against Stamkos. Gionta brings good things to the team, hustle and speed, paired with Bernier and Carter it's a very solid line, but not a line that should be sealing a win against the likes of Stamkos and St. Louis.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#243 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

There's a huge amount of middle ground between being a bad NHL center and being able to match up defensively against Stamkos. Gionta brings good things to the team, hustle and speed, paired with Bernier and Carter it's a very solid line, but not a line that should be sealing a win against the likes of Stamkos and St. Louis.

Agreed. With the options we currently have available I don't think Gio is total shiite, but I do think he's pretty one-dimensional. PDB has been misusing him and that's on PDB not Gio.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users