LIVE HARD!

#2 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Zajac over Gio at key times does make you wonder.

I like PDB though, I like his system. Can't help it if his defensemen are incompetent.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#3 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

we are awful in shootouts

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#4 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

That's being nice about it.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#5 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Shootout should have been Elias, Lokti, and Henrique IMO.

#6 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Really on Deboer... No reason to have Gionta out there with 15 seconds left.

#7 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

i'm amazed that they don't practice shootouts all season. in a short season every point counts and shootouts and 4 on 4s should have been practiced every day for grabbing the extra point. we are losing too many points on this stuff.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#8 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:28 PM

i'm amazed that they don't practice shootouts all season. in a short season every point counts and shootouts and 4 on 4s should have been practiced every day for grabbing the extra point. we are losing too many points on this stuff.

Yeah well barely anyone showed up for the optional skate today, so, you know.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#9 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

It's also the 2nd game in 2 days, so ya know. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#10 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

It's also the 2nd game in 2 days, so ya know. 

No you're right. They did spend their days before the Tampa game in FLA practicing. Oh, right! They got sunburnt and went golfing.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#11 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

Only eight Devils players skated this morning.

Forwards: Krys Barch, David Clarkson, Tim Sestito and Harri Pesonen.

Defensemen: Peter Harrold, Anton Volchenkov, Adam Larrson and Henrik Tallinder.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#12 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

i have no problem with them not practicing everyday since the season is densely packed and they need the rest but when they do practice, they should have practiced shootouts and 4on4 overtimes. it's too late now but i guess some practice is better than none to make sure we get any close ones.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#13 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:05 PM

i have no problem with them not practicing everyday since the season is densely packed and they need the rest but when they do practice, they should have practiced shootouts and 4on4 overtimes. it's too late now but i guess some practice is better than none to make sure we get any close ones.

The optional skates aren't like balls to the wall. Plus it's a little disconcerting hearing Marty say last night they need to practice the shootout more. In addition Patty and Zajac's shootout attempts were god-awful.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 30 March 2013 - 05:05 PM.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#14 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,258 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

The optional skates aren't like balls to the wall. Plus it's a little disconcerting hearing Marty say last night they need to practice the shootout more. In addition Patty and Zajac's shootout attempts were god-awful.

pattys shoot out attempt really infuriated me, it was totally pathetic it looked like he didnt know what to do and confused himself so he just drove it right up nice and slow and allowed the poke check... total crap.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#15 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:19 AM

They were obscenely GOOD in shoot outs last year. Losing Parise hurts, but imho shoot outs are all about luck. I'd rather not waste too much time practicing them. 4 on 4 is a different story. We take too many penalties, and never seem to control the 4 on 4 well. Even when we're generating chances and the attack is buzzing, we always seem to yield a good counter.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#16 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

These guys have done breakaway drills their whole life. It's deeper than running a couple of breakaways at the end of practice. They have very little confidence right now. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#17 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

the last 5 minutes of the last 2 games have been nightmares, no possesion, dump and change and sit back and defend, prevent defense NHL style...

how about holding the puck and actually playing offense a bit??

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#18 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

I'm starting to think that PDB is a great X & O coach. He knows his systems, can match up etc etc but in terms of managing personnel, who to put on the ice and what said player is best fitted to...not so sure. Some of his recent lineups just make me wonder what the hell he is thinking/seeing.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

They were obscenely GOOD in shoot outs last year. Losing Parise hurts, but imho shoot outs are all about luck. I'd rather not waste too much time practicing them. 4 on 4 is a different story. We take too many penalties, and never seem to control the 4 on 4 well. Even when we're generating chances and the attack is buzzing, we always seem to yield a good counter.

Anybody who bitches about the Devils' shootout issues needs to realize how incredibly good the Devils been at them since shootouts were implemented.  56-35 all-time, and that INCLUDES this year's 2-6 record.  They've also been blessed with terrific shooting (40.7% lifetime...no other team is above 38.1%).  Going into this season, not one other NHL team was in the Devils' league, as far as shootout prowess goes, save for Pittsburgh (winning% in shootouts is now better than the Devils, but no team has won more shootouts than the Devils).

Much as it sucks, the bounces were going to start to go the other way eventually...having two aging goalies can't help much either. 

But last year, the Devils went 12-4 with a ridiculous 57.1% shooting% in shootouts, and there was still bitching on these boards when the Devils dared to lose a shootout here and there.  Apparently they should've gone 16-0. 

Easy to take the shootout proficiency for granted, but unfortunately, since no one is going to sign good shootout guys for the sake of winning shootouts, you hope that your top players happen to be good at it.  The Devils had some luck in that regard, especially since Kovy improved exponentially at it since coming here.  Looks like the luck is finally changing.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

What 76 said.  Hearing fans complain about shootout choices, both the coaches' decision on who to send out, and the players' decision to shoot, deke, etc. - the worst.  

NJ has also been one of the best 4 on 4 overtime teams.  Basically the reason NJ won divisions and wasn't fighting for playoff spots between 2005-06 and 2011-12 was their prowess at both of these things, and it's hard to attribute that to mere skill.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users