2 replies to this topic

#1 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,446 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

There is an article about great deadline trades thats on ESPN, hopefully no one has talked about it already, but this 1 inpeticular is unreal, how Milbury gets a job as an analyst after this trade is crazy, you'd have to be a moron to make this trade, of course he also traded Luongo & Jokinen to get ythe #1 overall pick to take Dipietro ( did the rangers pay him off to ruin the islanders?)

anyway here is the discussion on the isles horrific trade...

June 23, 2001: The Islanders trade Zdeno Chara to the Senators

What he was before: Chara was a 24-year-old defenseman whose main claim to fame was being the tallest player in NHL history. He’d played parts of four seasons for the Islanders, establishing a reputation as a reasonably solid defensive defenseman (though he’d been a -27 each of the two years before the trade) without any offensive upside (he’d scored just eight goals and 29 points in 231 career games).

The trade: The Islanders sent Chara, Bill Muckalt, and the second-overall pick in the 2001 draft (which the Senators used to select Jason Spezza) to Ottawa for disgruntled center Alexei Yashin.

What he was after: Chara immediately became a star in Ottawa, dominating physically and going a combined +92 in his first three years. More surprisingly, he suddenly developed into an offensive threat, scoring 10 goals the year after the trade. He was named a first-team All-Star in 2004, and went on to win the Norris Trophy in Boston.

What were the Islanders thinking? This was a Mike Milbury deal, so your guess is as good as mine. The Islanders apparently felt like Yashin would be an elite superstar they could build the franchise around (oops). Plenty of experts hated the deal at the time, given that Yashin was inconsistent and moody, and Spezza was considered a potential franchise player. But nobody predicted Chara would develop the way he did.

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#2 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Chara was an enigma to that point - i remember the idea of trading spezza for yashin being seen as craziness. spezza was the crosby of his time.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,653 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

Chara was an enigma to that point - i remember the idea of trading spezza for yashin being seen as craziness. spezza was the crosby of his time.

I recall Spezza was being talked about before the draft roughly to the level that McKinnon is now, or perhaps Nash and Thornton.  Not to the level of Crosby, who everyone correctly believed would be a generational player.   Of course, Kovalchuk turned out being picked ahead of Spezza. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users