253 replies to this topic

#201 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

I dont think Lou had much to do with it it was mostly JVB pulling the strings on that one.

And stop exagerating what im saying and then say that its absurd and silly and wtv plz

I've also always felt the signing was more Vanderbeek than Lou. It doesn't seem at all like Lou to do that.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#202 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I've also always felt the signing was more Vanderbeek than Lou. It doesn't seem at all like Lou to do that.

No. If it were up to Lou our first line would consist of barely qualified 3rd liners.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#203 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

My point is clearly not that Kovy extorded Lou or wtv like buddy is implying, thats exagerating what i said to the extreme lol but its really not as if kovy was simply "offered that contract" and that he signed it ala Gomez who got a crazy ammount of money thrown at him, Kovy cleeeeaaaarrrrllllyyyy wanted to get paid as a top top top player and went for it.

www.SterioDesign.com

#204 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Kovy deserves every bit of his contract.  He's done everything his team has asked of him and then some.  Every time he's out there on the penalty kill the Devils are banking on that contract.  The guy plays nearly half of every game for crying out loud.  He takes so much attention from opposing teams our other lines get more room.  That's not to say that he isn't misused because he is but that's where Deboer's incompetance comes in.

#205 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Im totally convinced Kovy could score damn near a goal per game if hed want too. But he couldnt while playing a tight system like they are.

He really but really bought deboer/lemaire's system and hes playing it from A to Z. But his skills and dangerousness are toned down a bit by it. But almost everytime were trailing late in a game and that Kovy goes on a mission to make something happen, hes always coming really close to make something happen. Obviously you cant do that all game long cause youd get caught probably.

Kinda the same thing with zach, watching him on team USA or with the Wild... Hes A LOT more dominant there that when he was playing here. Its a bit frustrating but in NJ they play hockey the "right way" with a tight system so obviously you dont have as much creativity or freedom on the ice but usually the team success cover for that.

www.SterioDesign.com

#206 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Kovy is, and has always been, a classic sniper. And while his offensive skill set is completely superior to that of any other player on our team both in terms of technical ability and vision, he's not a typical playmaker. If you want him to produce points at his maximum potential, you need to put him a) on left wing b) next to some kind of playmaker. You want Kovy on the side of our PP firing bombs, not playing QB at the back. There's only a handful of players that "produce" anything solo in the entire game of hockey. And even those guys (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovie) usually have more talent on their lines then Kovy does.

Posted Image

#207 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

My point is clearly not that Kovy extorded Lou or wtv like buddy is implying, thats exagerating what i said to the extreme lol but its really not as if kovy was simply "offered that contract" and that he signed it ala Gomez who got a crazy ammount of money thrown at him, Kovy cleeeeaaaarrrrllllyyyy wanted to get paid as a top top top player and went for it.

But that is exactly what you implied. You have a tendency to be over dramatic in a ton of your posts only to backtrack afterwards and say that's not what you meant when you get called out on it. This is a message board and I cannot read your mind except for what you post here. When you insinuate that kovy just short of extorted Lou or forced Lou into paying a reidiculous contract then you are coming off as being ridiculous.

#208 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

But that is exactly what you implied. You have a tendency to be over dramatic in a ton of your posts only to backtrack afterwards and say that's not what you meant when you get called out on it. This is a message board and I cannot read your mind except for what you post here. When you insinuate that kovy just short of extorted Lou or forced Lou into paying a reidiculous contract then you are coming off as being ridiculous.

No its not !! thats the thing you have your idea made already about what i mean cause in your mind im over dramatic. I telling you again youre exagerating.

Like i explained, the Kovy situation is certainly not a situation like Gomez where he was really "offered" that huge contract like the rangers did to take him away from us and then couldnt live up to it.

Now all im saying is that its not the case at all and thats what YOU said, thats its unfair to Kovy cause he was "offered" that contract...

Kovy's agent and Lou/JVB clearly worked together a LOT on that contract off frame works off kovy's demand of what he wanted. Now, thats absolutely NOT saying Kovy had a gun to Lou's head, kovy deserved the right to ask for a lot of money and he did. All i said is that it wasnt true that anything was "unfair to him" cause he was "offered" that big contract, cause clearly it wasnt simply "offered", he was hands on that whole thing the whole time.

On this one sorry but youre over dramatic and assuming stuff.

Edit: better way to put it is that its 2 things for a UFA to have a demand and for GMs to reach it. (Like Kovy, nothing wrong with that) And its another for a UFA to receive a crazy ovepayment offer to really make sure to get him. Like Leino or Gomez for example or a bunch of UFAs every summer.

You made it sound like the 2nd one. And its not by pointing that out that im implying that Kovy extorted Lou or wtv thats a very exagerated way of assuming things.

Edited by SterioDesign, 05 April 2013 - 09:11 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#209 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

Im totally convinced Kovy could score damn near a goal per game if hed want too. But he couldnt while playing a tight system like they are.
He really but really bought deboer/lemaire's system and hes playing it from A to Z. But his skills and dangerousness are toned down a bit by it. But almost everytime were trailing late in a game and that Kovy goes on a mission to make something happen, hes always coming really close to make something happen. Obviously you cant do that all game long cause youd get caught probably.
Kinda the same thing with zach, watching him on team USA or with the Wild... Hes A LOT more dominant there that when he was playing here. Its a bit frustrating but in NJ they play hockey the "right way" with a tight system so obviously you dont have as much creativity or freedom on the ice but usually the team success cover for that.

And just to add, people also have to realize that Kovy came from a team and system built around him.. He's now on the Devils and has bought into the Devils' "team first" system, so his numbers may not be as inflated, but I really don't care as long as his contribution to the overall system makes us a better team
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#210 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

And just to add, people also have to realize that Kovy came from a team and system built around him.. He's now on the Devils and has bought into the Devils' "team first" system, so his numbers may not be as inflated, but I really don't care as long as his contribution to the overall system makes us a better team

Also we have to think that kovy's contract wont be as bad as people think in the future... Think about it in 8 years from now youre gonna have a 6.6m cap 37 years old kovalchuk and a 8.2m cap hit 35 years old getzlaf... Whats better at that point really? Plus the cap will be alot higher so a 6.6m cap hit wont be nothing and kovy can be dangerous simply standing in the zone with his vision and shot / one timer

www.SterioDesign.com

#211 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Dan he clearly has been tentative with his shots this year.. Don't you agree that he should be making moves instead of trying to always set up for the one timers.. The revolving door of line changes ultimately has been the death of the team this year. I know Debor is attempting to find chemistry.. But it just hasn't , the lack of consistency is making it hard for lines to click.. I have to say this has a big affect on his overall points..

I think he's just having a bad year. Guys have years where things just don't work. This is probably one of those seasons. Seems to be that no one can get going this year on this team. There's probably a lot of factors. No Parise, a lot of inconsistencies, the lockout. Its just a strange year. I really am not putting much stock in this season.

He spent half the season in the KHL. Maybe all those games are affecting him.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#212 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think he's just having a bad year. Guys have years where things just don't work. This is probably one of those seasons. Seems to be that no one can get going this year on this team. There's probably a lot of factors. No Parise, a lot of inconsistencies, the lockout. Its just a strange year. I really am not putting much stock in this season.

He spent half the season in the KHL. Maybe all those games are affecting him.

you have to think too, seriously how many goals from Kovy are a question of like... 2-3inches and that from like 40 feets away. PING ! Post in... post down... perfect top corner etc etc.

you don't need a lot of bad luck to screw the datas from year to year seriously. But somehow he's always been consistent... the guy is a beast. My only knock on Kovy is that he's not aggressive enough after guys on the forecheck or when guys are skating by him with the puck, he seems to just glide while trying to hook them and if he can't well too bad. But the guy is playing like 50min a game haha he can't go on all cylinders all game long.

Edited by SterioDesign, 06 April 2013 - 01:45 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#213 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Maybe he should be playing a little less. I would rather see him dominate on less time then say play 90% cause of fatigue.. I would think by mid 3rd period he has to be gassed..

#214 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Maybe he should be playing a little less. I would rather see him dominate on less time then say play 90% cause of fatigue.. I would think by mid 3rd period he has to be gassed..

well maybe, maybe its just not in him too. 

Edited by SterioDesign, 06 April 2013 - 02:52 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#215 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Flyers about to win.. Meltdown continues... I am being so negative.. Negative Nelly

#216 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Winnipeg 4-1 Philly

Edited by CarterforPresident, 06 April 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#217 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

To the all of the reactionaries who missed my point before, which was directed at ONE poster and only one poster:

I don't have a problem with fans criticizing the team.  Clearly all is not well in Devil-land at the moment.  I just don't like when some fans act like they're entitled to never having to experience a downturn, and clearly don't appreciate the fact that it's been 25 years since the Devils had an extended period of irrelevance.  When some fans start acting like the Devils owe them something, after all they've treated to since '87-'88...I'm sorry, that ridiculous.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#218 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Bump.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#219 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Season's over 

#220 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Season's over 

There's still 20 pts on the board and if that other team wasn't the Islanders I'd probably agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users