253 replies to this topic

#221 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Edited by GoArmySports, 06 April 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#222 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

They will finish the season 2-6-2 if they're lucky. This is the most putrid sack of garbage devils team I've seen since the Johnny Maclean disaster

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#223 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,909 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

They will finish the season 2-6-2 if they're lucky. This is the most putrid sack of garbage devils team I've seen since the Johnny Maclean disaster

I hate to say I agree with this, but I agree with this. Tonight was my breaking point. I've tried to stay positive throughout this whole stretch, but I've reached the point where I've seen enough to know what the deal is. As I said after the Boston game- it just isn't our year. Here's to hopefully a top 10 pick and success in 2014.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#224 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

To the all of the reactionaries who missed my point before, which was directed at ONE poster and only one poster:

I don't have a problem with fans criticizing the team.  Clearly all is not well in Devil-land at the moment.  I just don't like when some fans act like they're entitled to never having to experience a downturn, and clearly don't appreciate the fact that it's been 25 years since the Devils had an extended period of irrelevance.  When some fans start acting like the Devils owe them something, after all they've treated to since '87-'88...I'm sorry, that ridiculous.   

i realise this wasn't pointed at me, but in response to something i said a few pages back as well. what i said wasn't purely directed at you, but just in general.

this team doesn't owe me anything. i became a serious fan after all of the stanley cup success. i cheer them on and have spent countless thousands from across the pacific. i love them, hockey is the greatest sport in the world (followed by NFL and MLB).

im just a passionate person who can also see without the rose colored glasses. it's just frustrating after last year's run (which i am sure a lot of people feel exactly the way i do).

regardless of how we end up in 3 weeks time, i will still be here throughout the off-season and the start of the new season. heck, i still want to make another trip over the pond during the 13-14 season since i was in NYC/NJ in October 2012 and the lockout was still on (unfortunately i planned and paid for my trip before it was definite the season was cut). I am also glad i got to see marty in at least one winning game in 2010.

i bleed red, black and white. i never won't.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none."
Posted Image

#225 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

I hate to say I agree with this, but I agree with this. Tonight was my breaking point. I've tried to stay positive throughout this whole stretch, but I've reached the point where I've seen enough to know what the deal is. As I said after the Boston game- it just isn't our year. Here's to hopefully a top 10 pick and success in 2014.

On the upside, this season is short. On the downside, they were a top team after 1/4 of the season. I dunno what's worse. If I was PDB, I'd be mildly concerned about my job.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#226 munichdevil

munichdevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

They're paying the price now for making too many mistakes since last year. Bad contracts to old guys, not replacing or even trying to replace Parise, no fresh blood, old defense with hardly any offensive talent, nobody back there with a decent shot from the point during the PP...

They also should've forfeited their 1st rounder last year. I mean, it was clear it wouldn't get any lower and why did they draft Matteau?!? C'mon. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. Another hard working, non scoring winger. Just forfeiting the pick would have been the right thing to do. No they will do it next year when it will be a top 10 pick or s.th. like that. Boy, would that suck.

With this team, and that is the only positive, you can simply go to bed when the other team scores first. So much extra sleep! Even a 0-1 deficit is too much for the Devils to overcome. There is just no offensive talent. So frustrating.   

#227 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

They're paying the price now for making too many mistakes since last year. Bad contracts to old guys, not replacing or even trying to replace Parise, no fresh blood, old defense with hardly any offensive talent, nobody back there with a decent shot from the point during the PP...

They also should've forfeited their 1st rounder last year. I mean, it was clear it wouldn't get any lower and why did they draft Matteau?!? C'mon. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. Another hard working, non scoring winger. Just forfeiting the pick would have been the right thing to do. No they will do it next year when it will be a top 10 pick or s.th. like that. Boy, would that suck.

With this team, and that is the only positive, you can simply go to bed when the other team scores first. So much extra sleep! Even a 0-1 deficit is too much for the Devils to overcome. There is just no offensive talent. So frustrating.   

Why didn't Lou forfeit last year? It was a late pick in a relatively unskilled draft right?

#228 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Why didn't Lou forfeit last year? It was a late pick in a relatively unskilled draft right?

something i still dont understand, and was expecting. why not give up a 29th 1st round pick? stupid.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none."
Posted Image

#229 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

something i still dont understand, and was expecting. why not give up a 29th 1st round pick? stupid.

The philosophy is that a pick today is worth more than a pick two years from now.  It's a philosophy I don't agree with when you're talking about giving up dramatically different-valued picks in those years though.  If they wind up having to give up a late teens early 20's pick, I'm fine with that.  The difference is negligible at that level.  

If they have to give up a top ten next year on the other hand, it's a disaster.  There was always a lot more chance they have to give up a top ten than a bottom ten with Marty's age and potentially even more gaping holes opening up on our forward core this offseason.

#230 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

You may have been understandably positive about things, but what about all the people who defended this awful hockey the past two months and absolutely lambasted those who dared point out flaws in the game...where are they now?

#231 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

You may have been understandably positive about things, but what about all the people who defended this awful hockey the past two months and absolutely lambasted those who dared point out flaws in the game...where are they now?

Well, the people who were saying, 'trade everyone, we're terrible, wahhh' are still big babies and need to get over it. I'm still here! Buyouts are coming in the offseason, just get over us not going all in on a half season. It wasn't going to happen that way unless the stars aligned. Now just be happy that we have tons of cap space for next year and we'll be in one of the best positions in the NHL to sign bought out talent.

#232 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

They're paying the price for 20 years of top 10 finishes. They lost franchise players that can't just be replaced through free agency. Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Parise... these are guys you either draft early or get lucky in acquiring. 

I agree that last year's pick should have been forfeited but if Matteau can be another Zubrus, he will be very valuable to this team. Part of me thinks they kept the pick in hopes that Subban or Vasilevski would be around at 29th overall. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#233 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

The title of this topic appears to be accurate.  +1.

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 07 April 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#234 munichdevil

munichdevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

They're paying the price for 20 years of top 10 finishes. They lost franchise players that can't just be replaced through free agency. Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski, Parise... these are guys you either draft early or get lucky in acquiring. 

I agree that last year's pick should have been forfeited but if Matteau can be another Zubrus, he will be very valuable to this team. Part of me thinks they kept the pick in hopes that Subban or Vasilevski would be around at 29th overall. 

Sure it's tough to have low draft picks year after year. No doubt you're losing out on the biggest talent that way. However, that is no excuse for handing out long term contracts to already old, slow defensemen or overpaying for Zajac. They NEED to buy out Volchenkov and Salvador in the summer. Of the UFAs, I would try to resign Elias, Zubrus and Clarkson only and let the others walk. Elias and Zubrus should get 2 years max, if they want more than that it has to be good bye. As for Clarkson, I would not overpay to keep him like we did with Zajac. There will be lots of FA available in the summer, we have to go shopping there. We need another goalie too. 

#235 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

I was the guy's biggest fan and I wouldn't put Raf in with those three talent-wise at all.  Plus the Devils 'could' have kept Raf if they really wanted to, Lou was blase about giving him an offer really both times he hit UFA but he didn't want to leave until Detroit got rid of Schnieder and made him a good offer.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#236 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

I was the guy's biggest fan and I wouldn't put Raf in with those three talent-wise at all.  Plus the Devils 'could' have kept Raf if they really wanted to, Lou was blase about giving him an offer really both times he hit UFA but he didn't want to leave until Detroit got rid of Schnieder and made him a good offer.

Yeah, true, he isn't on that Hall of Fame defense level, but I felt he was a real big part of the team post-Stevens and Nieds. He was another loss that wasn't too easy to replace. I think they thought Paul Martin could, but he never turned into a big offensive threat and couldn't wait to escape NJ. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#237 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

if thats true that they we're hoping to get Subban or Vasilevski it's probably bad news that Wedge and Kincaid are not developing like the organization would like them too, would also explain why Deboer didnt even consider giving Kincaid a start. I certainly hope not though.

Edited by SterioDesign, 07 April 2013 - 11:05 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#238 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

if thats true that they we're hoping to get Subban or Vasilevski it's probably bad news that Wedge and Kincaid are not developing like the organization would like them too, would also explain why Deboer didnt even consider giving Kincaid a start. I certainly hope not though.

That was just a guess by me. I don't know if that's why they kept the pick. And I don't think it would have anything to do with they other guys maybe not developing right. Especially not Wedge, as he hadn't even played a full pro season yet. Personally, I just think you can never have too many high end goalie prospects when your team has 2 old goalies, and Subban or Vasilevski would fit that bill.

All just speculation on my part, of course.

#239 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

The future looks bleak right now, but a lot can happen in one offseason.

Lou's a magician, he won't let this team go into the season next year like this.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#240 munichdevil

munichdevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

The future looks bleak right now, but a lot can happen in one offseason.

Lou's a magician, he won't let this team go into the season next year like this.

I really don't think the future looks all that bleak. There will be a lot of movement during the summer, but Lou has to be willing to cut off deserving players. Actually, this summer is a great chance to change the look of the franchise big time. There is a lot of defensive talent in the system, not just in Albany, but also in juniors (Scarlett for example), and he should start dealing some of it for offense. Also, we probably will miss the Playoffs and draft high. This is a great draft. Maybe we can even trade up a little and get somebody real good. The core is not bad and I am confident Lou will change the face of the team and do it well. Heck, we're one year removed from the finals, it can't be all bad.  :thumbsup:

Edited by munichdevil, 07 April 2013 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users