253 replies to this topic

#41 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'm almost always an optimist when it comes to the Devils, but we have such a lackluster roster, it's hard to be. When you watch teams like Chicago or Pittsburgh, for example, or even Montreal at times, it's easy to see we have a very subpar team. Yes, we went to the SCF last year, and yes, I think our roster could still play good hockey without Parise, but it's extremely fragile. If one of, a Zubrus or a Kovalchuk (obviously) or a Brodeur is out injured, we lose; it's become THAT simple.

Lou's philosophy has always been to build the team to win. But it's clear and obvious that we wouldn't be able to beat a Chicago or Boston (can't wait til Wednesday, yay!). We're not built to win. We couldn't beat a completely depressed Rangers side two weeks ago, we couldn't beat Tampa or Florida, and we obviously can't figure out how to get the Islanders this year. Who can we beat??

I think what we are seeing is the result of being too good for too long. A decade or so of not picking until #20-30 can add up. When you get 5 or 6 years of picks in the first half of each round, you have access to better players.

Plus, a lot (A LOT!!!) of the Devils 1st and 2nd rounders didn't pan out. These are supposed to be your top prospects.

According to hockeydb... Since 2000 in the first or second round (with total NHL games)

David Hale (327), Teemu Laine (0), Alexander Suglobov (18), Matt DeMarchi (0), Paul Martin (583), Adrian Foster (0), Igor Pohanka (0), Tuomas Pihlman (15), Victor Uchevatov (0), Anton Kadeykov (0), Barry Tallackson (20), Zach Parise (537), Petr Vrana (16), Travis Zajac (459), Niklas Bergfors (173), Jeff Frazee (1), Matt Corrente (34), Alexander Vasyunov (18), Mike Hoeffel (0), Mattias Tedenby (105), Bandon Burlon (0), Patrice Cormier (39), Jacob Josefson (85), Eric Gelinas (0), Jon Merrill (0), Adam Larsson (93), Stefan Matteau (17), Damon Severson (0),

Now, Gelinas, Merrill, and Severson's zero's mean nothing since they are just getting started in their careers, but there's a lot of picks that didn't pay off. I don't know what percentage of 1st-2nd rounders pay off league wide but of those listed, I'd say we had 3 that became permanent NHLers and a few that should in the future.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

The above also led to Lou dipping into the UFA pool more than he would've liked.  And we've seen that the returns on such moves have been mixed at best (not common for UFAs). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

With those stats above it kinda boggles my mind how David Conte is still looked upon as some scouting genius.

#44 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,099 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

With those stats above it kinda boggles my mind how David Conte is still looked upon as some scouting genius.

My guess would be his later round work.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

My guess would be his later round work.

What later round picks have turned into full time NHL'ers in the last 10 years?

#46 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think we have alot of prospects that need to get some looks, from mattuea, to Boucher to merril, but the big league team is getting old, scratch that this TEAM IS OLD!!

forwards under 28:

D'Agostini

Zajak

Henrique Loktionov

Fowards over 30:

BArch

Elias

Kostopolous

Poni

Zubrus

And Kovy, Clarkson. Gionta & Carter are all 30 next year...

OLD

Dmen under 28:

Fayne

Larsson

Dmen over 30

Greene

Salvador

Talinder

Zidlicky

Volchenkov

and harrold is 30 next year...

OLD

this team needs a MAJOR injection of Youth, you cannot win in the league when the average age of your team is over 29.5!!! and that does not include the goalies, otherwise our average age is over 30!!

This team needs youth!! and lots of it, we look tired in the 3rd period of every game, and we start slow every game,

So yes i'm 100% serious when I say FIRESALE!!! 

Prospects & picks thats what we need, time to rebuild for the future...

we are the OLDEST team in the NHL, average age of an NHL team is 28.2yrs, we are 1.5 years older than that, which is ALOT...

If you are wondering LA is one of the youngest teams

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#47 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

wow when you list it out that way it makes you actually realize that most of the team is 30 years old or older.. atleast i didnt realize that some of these guys were that old

believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#48 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

It's Zajac and not Zajak!

#49 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Wow..yeah, this. I mean, granted, they've all (with the exception of Larsson, Merrill and a few others) been mostly late 1st-2nd round picks, but still that's an awfully bad showing.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 02 April 2013 - 11:03 AM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#50 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

It's Zajac and not Zajak!

Does that make him play better??

Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#51 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Does that make him play better??

Sorry I just have trouble taking your points seriously when you are always misspelling one of our top guys.

#52 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

S, let me understand, because I misspelled his name my points are inacccurate??  check them yourself., this team is OLD!

BTW, I considered spelling Sajak the way he has played lately...

Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#53 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

yeah im not truly encouraged by our future, we cant fool ourselves... we have a good pool of d prospects and thats it.

our stars are aging. we have no depth on offence, were not as attractive as we were for free agents, were not a shoe-in contender year after year anymore. Our only top pick in the last 15 years from what ive seen will likely never be worth a 4th overall pick... most of our first round picks have not pan out or they are projected as 3rd line players, our future in net is absolutely up in the air and Lou only have a few years left.

i mean... seriously? again its not to sound like a downer but am i wrong on anything i just said?

Lou will have to work some magic during the next few summers for sure.

Edited by SterioDesign, 02 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#54 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

S, let me understand, because I misspelled his name my points are inacccurate??  check them yourself., this team is OLD!

You are not very good at insults.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#55 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

You are suggesting a firesale for a team that is technically as of today who are in the playoff picture.  Most players primes are between 24-34 so for the most part we are still in pretty good shape with the age aspect as well.  The only position where age right now is a factor is in goal.

So your point right now is ridiculous and you constantly misspelling Zajac as Zajak just makes it even worse.

And no you didn't consider spelling him Sajak.  Terrible joke trying to cover terrible spelling.

#56 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Over their last 22 gamnes the Devils have 6 wins & 16 loses. thats a winning percantage of 27%, my guess, probably the worst in the NHL, but you love this team!!

We are the OLDEST TEAM in the NHL... do you not understand this??  This is not MLB it is the NHL, you are OLD at 30.. name me 10 players playing right  now that are/were in their prime at 34 not named marty.  a players prime is generally 24 to 29.  At 30 they are on the DOWNSIDE of their careers... if you think the Devils are in their prime you are clueless.

Everything spelled correctly so hopefully you will be able to comprehend....

And BTW, Devils have 6 skaters over the age of 34...and only 3 under the age of 24, not a good ratio.

Edited by redruM, 02 April 2013 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#57 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

Boston will really show what this team is made of, and what they're capable of.

If they get steamrolled..well, maybe it confirms what we're all thinking now.

If they put up a fight and maybe scrape out a win (or a SO loss :lol:) then maybe there's hope for this team yet.  Getting Kovy back will be a huge boost, maybe Lou has an acquisition in the works.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#58 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

yeah im not truly encouraged by our future, we cant fool ourselves... we have a good pool of d prospects and thats it.

our stars are aging. we have no depth on offence, were not as attractive as we were for free agents, were not a shoe-in contender year after year anymore. Our only top pick in the last 15 years from what ive seen will likely never be worth a 4th overall pick... most of our first round picks have not pan out or they are projected as 3rd line players, our future in net is absolutely up in the air and Lou only have a few years left.

i mean... seriously? again its not to sound like a downer but am i wrong on anything i just said?

Lou will have to work some magic during the next few summers for sure.

Yes. You have no idea at all abou Larsson. Defenseman take longer than a year to develop 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#59 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Over their last 22 gamnes the Devils have 6 wins & 16 loses. thats a winning percantage of 27%, my guess, probably the worst in the NHL, but you love this team!!

We are the OLDEST TEAM in the NHL... do you not understand this??  This is not MLB it is the NHL, you are OLD at 30.. name me 10 players playing right  now that are/were in their prime at 34 not named marty.  a players prime is generally 24 to 29.  At 30 they are on the DOWNSIDE of their careers... if you think the Devils are in their prime you are clueless.

And BTW, Devils have 6 skaters over the age of 34...and only 3 under the age of 24, not a good ratio.

The 6 wins and 16 losses thing is really not telling the whole story.  The Devils are 6-10-6 in those 22 games, and 5 of those charity-point losses came in the shootout (they're 2-5 in the shootout in those 22 games).  Say the Devils go 5-2 in those shootouts...suddenly they're 9-10-3...not good, but not 6-10-6 bad.  Going into this season, the Devils were getting that extra point in shootouts 65.1% of the time...funny how not getting that extra point when you're used to it really shows how much it can hurt your team's record. 

I'm not saying they've been great in these past 22 games, just that implying that 6-16 isn't really accurate.  I can't shoehorn SO losses in the "loss" category with regulation and OT losses...they don't feel the same to me and never will.  Unfortunately, the Devils had it so good in the shootout for so long that this is the first time since its inception we've had to deal with their record not being propped up or made better by SO wins.  There's probably no shortage of fans of other teams who have hated the shootout for several seasons for that very reason.  Other than being opposed to the shootout just because we didn't like the way it decided points, we never had any reason to dislike it...our team was never hurt by it, and usually benefitted from...at the very least, they did more than anyone else.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#60 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

These stats are disturbing to say the least.  No wonder why I started this thread..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users