253 replies to this topic

#141 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

I've pointed it out before, but there's a lot of mid-20-something Devils fans (and Yankee fans, for that matter) who've grown up watching their team make the playoffs almost every single year...it's pretty much all they know.  Great way to start off your rooting career, but when they find out that such prosperity doesn't go on forever, they don't know how to handle it, and can't believe that, yes, even the best-run franchises have their leaner years.  The quick-fix, keep-the-team-on-top answers simply aren't there every year. 

The hope is that, as many of them are buying tickets and supporting the team in good times, they'll stick with the team during the bad times (even extended, multi-year ones).  I could be wrong about guys like BigZ, but I can't see guys like him being able to handle not being a top or even decent team for too long.  I can't say for sure that the Devils are heading into a downturn, but there's definitely a LOT of uncertainty as to where this team is going to be in the next few years. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#142 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,934 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

I've pointed it out before, but there's a lot of mid-20-something Devils fans (and Yankee fans, for that matter) who've grown up watching their team make the playoffs almost every single year...it's pretty much all they know.  Great way to start off your rooting career, but when they find out that such prosperity doesn't go on forever, they don't know how to handle it, and can't believe that, yes, even the best-run franchises have their leaner years.  The quick-fix, keep-the-team-on-top answers simply aren't there every year. 

These are the same geniuses that boo'ed the Devils 5-minute pp during the Florida game minutes after Kovy left the ice dangling his should like he was Igor from a Frankenstein movie....the more popular your team gets....the more idiotic the fan base becomes.....it's sad.....

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#143 maniacdevsdude

maniacdevsdude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

My opinion is anyone who is a true fan should appreciate what this team has accomplished since '95 and keep the b*tching to a minimum. There should also be two topics which automatically categorize you as a "fairweather fan" or "complete ignoramus": 1. Trashing or questioning Marty's abilities and/or contributions, 2. Questioning Lou's decision making and performance as a GM.  Both Lou and Marty should be hands-off as far as I'm concerned in any negative discussion having to do with this organization. That's how I see it anyway...

This team played a hell of a game last night and should have won. The puck just didn't bounce our way. I'm confident though that if we keep up the effort, we'll not only make the playoffs, but will make some major noise once in. Once we get Kovy back, this team has what it takes to defeat Boston, NY Rangers, and Pittsburgh. We dominated last night's game against one of the best in the East. That should tell you what we're capable of....

#144 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

The hope is that, as many of them are buying tickets and supporting the team in good times, they'll stick with the team during the bad times (even extended, multi-year ones).  I could be wrong about guys like BigZ, but I can't see guys like him being able to handle not being a top or even decent team for too long.  I can't say for sure that the Devils are heading into a downturn, but there's definitely a LOT of uncertainty as to where this team is going to be in the next few years. 

Problem is this season as well as the past couple of seasons I have seen what an entire generation growing up watching a winning team does.  Every year the Rock becomes less and less enticing to go to because of these types of fans.  While the Rock may be selling out more this year there is a part of me that wished for the more modest and less obnoxious days of CAA.

#145 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

This. The sense of entitlement in this fan base is disgusting at times. If the Devils are indeed in for a rough stretch (multiple years of losing and missing the playoffs) a lot of these 'fans' will drop off. Or worse, stick around to complain on a nightly basis.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#146 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I loathe it. The way some of these morons talk about the players I love is mindblowing. I am confident we'll make the playoffs this year. And, if we don't, I will clap loudly at the draft and remain confident that we'll make the playoffs next year. I'm a fan, someone who loves the team. Self-proclaimed "realists" are crocks of sh!t. They use the phrase "realist" to mask their short tempered and 'what have you done for me lately' attitude. What if you were rangers fans and couldn't remember the last Stanley Cup victory? Leafs fans? Flyers fans? You act like the team does you a PERSONAL injustice because they aren't leading the league in wins. Hrmph, you lose your backbone of the team to free agency, your Hall of Fame goaltender was out the majority of the season, and now your 100 million dollar superstar has missed time? What the flying fvck do you expect?

Being a fan means rooting for your team. The list of people to ignore is getting too great. I love these forums, I spent too many hours arguing and bickering and talking about the Devils here. But I cannot do it any more. It's blood boiling to see the self entitled sons of bitches whine like they're on their period. Not like you will miss me anyway, but I'm done.

Maybe I'll come back when the board doesn't make me want to kick kittens, but for at least the next while I'm outta here.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#147 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

This. The sense of entitlement in this fan base is disgusting at times. If the Devils are indeed in for a rough stretch (multiple years of losing and missing the playoffs) a lot of these 'fans' will drop off. Or worse, stick around to complain on a nightly basis.

Yankee fans are worse...when they actually (gasp!) missed the playoffs in 2008, quite a few of their fans used the word "suffering" to describe how they were feeling that year.  They also think their team should be in on every available star and superstar in the league, and their trade proposals for such players are always "five of our guys nobody really wants for a great player".  My uncle (I think he's 56 or so now) has been a hardcore Yankee fan since he was old enough to take an interest in MLB, and he's locked in whether they're winning 100 games or losing 100 games.  The Stump Merrill days were brutal for him, but damned if he didn't watch almost every game and still go to a few.  I've always respected his Yankee fandom for that reason...he's all in no matter what.

My opinion is anyone who is a true fan should appreciate what this team has accomplished since '95 and keep the b*tching to a minimum. There should also be two topics which automatically categorize you as a "fairweather fan" or "complete ignoramus": 1. Trashing or questioning Marty's abilities and/or contributions, 2. Questioning Lou's decision making and performance as a GM.  Both Lou and Marty should be hands-off as far as I'm concerned in any negative discussion having to do with this organization. That's how I see it anyway...

This team played a hell of a game last night and should have won. The puck just didn't bounce our way. I'm confident though that if we keep up the effort, we'll not only make the playoffs, but will make some major noise once in. Once we get Kovy back, this team has what it takes to defeat Boston, NY Rangers, and Pittsburgh. We dominated last night's game against one of the best in the East. That should tell you what we're capable of....

In fairness, I think it's OK to worry aloud about Marty.  No one except the most clueless of fans will try to take anything away from Marty's career with the Devils.  His numbers say it all, and not just the on-the-ice ones...a guy who accomplished what he did only had one tough contract negotiation, and that had more to do with his agent than him at the time...he was still very young and learning about that side of the business (this was after the Devils won the Cup in 1995).    

All that being said, he's 40 years old (soon to be 41), has played an absurd amount of games at the position, and is finally showing some signs of decline (amazing how long that took).  Even with that, unless it gets really ugly, Marty is going to get the chance to take a victory tour next season, and leave on his own terms.  It means he will probably not be a terribly good, pure puck-stopper through the end of next season, and that will lead to some games that will be tough to watch, where he'll look old, but it's like I said, as long as it doesn't get routinely embarassing, and the Devils can overcome him more often than not (and help him out by keeping shots down, etc), for everything that he's done for the Devils for all these years, I can live with the Devils having to deal with a diminished version of Marty.  Detractors might wish Marty would retire and not make it an uncomfortable situation for the Devils (if he has a rough October and November and even December next season, I can't see Marty giving up on himself...he wouldn't be who he is if he was one to give up), but I think Lou and this organization respect Marty to the absolute hilt.  They're going to let Marty decide how he leaves the game, and I can completely understand why. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 April 2013 - 12:11 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#148 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Yankee fans are worse...when they actually (gasp!) missed the playoffs in 2008, quite a few of their fans used the word "suffering" to describe how they were feeling that year.  They also think their team should be in on every available star and superstar in the league, and their trade proposals for such players are always "five of our guys nobody really wants for a great player".  My uncle (I think he's 56 or so now) has been a hardcore Yankee fan since he was old enough to take an interest in MLB, and he's locked in whether they're winning 100 games or losing 100 games.  The Stump Merrill days were brutal for him, but damned if he didn't watch almost every game and still go to a few.  I've always respected his Yankee fandom for that reason...he's all in no matter what.

In fairness, I think it's OK to worry aloud about Marty.  No one except the most clueless of fans will try to take anything away from Marty's career with the Devils.  His numbers say it all, and not just the on-the-ice ones...a guy who accomplished what he did only had one tough contract negotiation, and that had more to do with his agent than him at the time...he was still very young and learning about that side of the business (this was after the Devils won the Cup in 1995).    

All that being said, he's 40 years old (soon to be 41), has played an absurd amount of games at the position, and is finally showing some signs of decline (amazing how long that took).  Even with that, unless it gets really ugly, Marty is going to get the chance to take a victory tour next season, and leave on his own terms.  It means he will probably not be a terribly good, pure puck-stopper through the end of next season, and that will lead to some games that will be tough to watch, where he'll look old, but it's like I said, as long as it doesn't get routinely embarassing, and the Devils can overcome him more often than not (and help him out by keeping shots down, etc), for everything that he's done for the Devils for all these years, I can live with the Devils having to deal with a diminished version of Marty.  Detractors might wish Marty would retire and not make it an uncomfortable situation for the Devils (if he has a rough October and November and even December next season, I can't see Marty giving up on himself...he wouldn't be who he is if he was one to give up), but I think Lou and this organization respect Marty to the absolute hilt.  They're going to let Marty decide how he leaves the game, and I can completely understand why. 

I've always said this team owes it to Marty to allow him to go on his terms. Whether that means after a solid season next year or after he posts a .001 save %. It doesn't matter. Marty gets a pass.

#149 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

I've always said this team owes it to Marty to allow him to go on his terms. Whether that means after a solid season next year or after he posts a .001 save %. It doesn't matter. Marty gets a pass.

I agree with you to an extent, but you don't want a Mark Messier/Rangers type situation, where a clearly past-his-prime star has too much power and too much say and feels like the organization is indebted to him forever, and his organization doesn't know how to tell him that it's time for them to move on.  Thankfully I don't see Marty ever becoming like this, but at the same time, there's guys like Kovy on this team who are in their prime and deserve a chance to win.  The Devils can't pay Marty (on-ice) for everything he's done forever.  If Marty doesn't have it next year to the point where it's not going to be hard to improve the play at that position with another player, the Devils have to say goodbye on the on-ice part of Marty.  I'm guessing he'll be a part of the organization for as long as he wants to be afterwards. 

#30 FOREVER!

#150 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

on the other hand -- my cousin is kicking butt in the girls nationals out in California.  Alaskan All-Stars!  Woohoo  :rolling:

I'm here for the party

#151 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

I loathe it. The way some of these morons talk about the players I love is mindblowing. I am confident we'll make the playoffs this year. And, if we don't, I will clap loudly at the draft and remain confident that we'll make the playoffs next year. I'm a fan, someone who loves the team. Self-proclaimed "realists" are crocks of sh!t. They use the phrase "realist" to mask their short tempered and 'what have you done for me lately' attitude. What if you were rangers fans and couldn't remember the last Stanley Cup victory? Leafs fans? Flyers fans? You act like the team does you a PERSONAL injustice because they aren't leading the league in wins. Hrmph, you lose your backbone of the team to free agency, your Hall of Fame goaltender was out the majority of the season, and now your 100 million dollar superstar has missed time? What the flying fvck do you expect?

Being a fan means rooting for your team. The list of people to ignore is getting too great. I love these forums, I spent too many hours arguing and bickering and talking about the Devils here. But I cannot do it any more. It's blood boiling to see the self entitled sons of bitches whine like they're on their period. Not like you will miss me anyway, but I'm done.

Maybe I'll come back when the board doesn't make me want to kick kittens, but for at least the next while I'm outta here.

You made some seriously valid points.  I am in my thirties and have been blessed to watch a team that was just down right terrible when I was a young lad to a team that has been in the thick of it from year to year.  Its a great accomplishment with what they have done especially with Marty between the pipes.  As a fan I am forever greatful for all the memories.  But the times are changing and so has this team.. We were so defensively based in those years of success and teams dreamed of our lineups.  But the tide is shifting and most teams today have 3 amazing players on their front line.  My focus as a fan is where are we headed?  What proactive moves will be made in the off season, how are we hedging Marty? So many questions with really no answer set... Its more of a panic on my behalf as a fan of what I see coming down the pipeline..

And the I find myself to be a realist.  Its just owning whats really happening vs sugar coating it with butterflies and rainbows like some people do.  Like saying, " well Kovy is out".. hate to break the bank but he hasnt done anything this year..

There is a realist comment..

#152 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

:hail:

Edited by Zubie#8, 05 April 2013 - 01:52 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#153 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

And the I find myself to be a realist.  Its just owning whats really happening vs sugar coating it with butterflies and rainbows like some people do.  Like saying, " well Kovy is out".. hate to break the bank but he hasnt done anything this year..

How can you call yourself a realist and then make such an ABSURD comment? Kovy has done nothing? He leads the team in both powerplay and shorthanded points (even still after being out the last 5 games), he leads the team in time on ice, and he's still second in scoring by a pretty wide margin. I mean, the powerplay has become absolutely useless, down from it's usual mediocre at best. He's not far off his usual PPG pace, either. But you're right, we're the exact same team without him as we were with him. Unreal. 

oKCiNj.jpg

#154 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

How can you call yourself a realist and then make such an ABSURD comment? Kovy has done nothing? He leads the team in both powerplay and shorthanded points (even still after being out the last 5 games), he leads the team in time on ice, and he's still second in scoring by a pretty wide margin. I mean, the powerplay has become absolutely useless, down from it's usual mediocre at best. He's not far off his usual PPG pace, either. But you're right, we're the exact same team without him as we were with him. Unreal. 

really??? he is 56th in the league in points... he isnt paid to be in 56th... if he was in the 20's I would be happy... You clearly have  man crush... move on.. we need goals..

#155 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

You made some seriously valid points.  I am in my thirties and have been blessed to watch a team that was just down right terrible when I was a young lad to a team that has been in the thick of it from year to year.  Its a great accomplishment with what they have done especially with Marty between the pipes.  As a fan I am forever greatful for all the memories.  But the times are changing and so has this team.. We were so defensively based in those years of success and teams dreamed of our lineups.  But the tide is shifting and most teams today have 3 amazing players on their front line.  My focus as a fan is where are we headed?  What proactive moves will be made in the off season, how are we hedging Marty? So many questions with really no answer set... Its more of a panic on my behalf as a fan of what I see coming down the pipeline..

We have Kovy, Elias, Henrique and Zajac.  That's four pretty damn good players if you ask me lol.

#156 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

If you like paying for things and getting nothing out of it I will send my mortgage bill.  By all means, pay away my friend..

#157 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

We have Kovy, Elias, Henrique and Zajac.  That's four pretty damn good players if you ask me lol.

Nobody said they weren't good.. only solid player so far this year is Elias.. Henrique not living up to his name, bunch of big goals in the right moments.. I say right place right time for him.. Zajac, is solid but hasn't been of lately.  Love him though..  They all need to score!! Thats all that matters..

#158 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

really??? he is 56th in the league in points... he isnt paid to be in 56th... if he was in the 20's I would be happy... You clearly have  man crush... move on.. we need goals..

Sorry, I didn't realize you were paying his contract. No wonder you're so upset. :doh1:  The guy is a point a game player. He is close to his usual production and that's with playing most of the season with rookies and randoms on his other wing. He's not superman. No man crush, just truth.

oKCiNj.jpg

#159 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

56th... not paid to be 56th... go look at the other contracts and their production.. Your gay for him.. just admit it.. You have that gay photo of him..

#160 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Alright then who do you suggest we get and at what price are you willing to get him for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users