#41 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Lou really failed us this deadline...

Here is to hoping we can sneak in the playoffs...

Who did you want, and for what?  I just don't think there was much Lou really should've or could've done here.  I would've been fine with nothing, but this move won't make much difference either way.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#42 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Well, he has to pass a physical so don't get too excited just yet.

#43 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Who did you want, and for what?  I just don't think there was much Lou really should've or could've done here.  I would've been fine with nothing, but this move won't make much difference either way.

Anything that made me believe you were trying to help us out for another push before Marty hangs em up...

We may only have a couple more dances with #30 before he is gone forever...we should be trying to win every season, PERIOD.

Does that mean I want huge names every go around?!?  Of course not, but something more impactful than Sullivan....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#44 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, what we need now is Wade Redden.   We don't have enough of that.    Jokinen was given away for free because he has money due him.

I didn't say get Redden, I would have liked to get Jokinen, but I think they are two examples of how much a 7th can return. When I read we got Steve Sullivan I seriously thought he retired. Guy has virtually disappeared in the past few seasons.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#45 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well, he has to pass a physical so don't get too excited just yet.

Unless he was in a wheelchair last night during his nine minutes of icetime he'll pass a physical lol

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Brodeur (and goaltending in general) is the biggest thing keeping this team from winning.  The idea that the Devils should sell out their future so Marty and his .905 SV% can get one last shot at the Cup is ridiculous.  We still haven't seen the final cost for Pominville but it looks awfully expensive. 

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Brodeur (and goaltending in general) is the biggest thing keeping this team from winning.  The idea that the Devils should sell out their future so Marty and his .905 SV% can get one last shot at the Cup is ridiculous.  We still haven't seen the final cost for Pominville but it looks awfully expensive. 

Going in on Bishop would have been a decent decision.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#48 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

Jokinen passed through waivers recebtly so the whole league of GMs, right or wrong, question his value.

Redden is similar.

I don't see any reason to think a 7th should return more than a depth move or taking on a poor salary to play ratio based on those values.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

Are we officially the oldest team in the league now? We have like 1 first/second line, 2 third lines and one 4th line. Yay!

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#50 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Anything that made me believe you were trying to help us out for another push before Marty hangs em up...

We may only have a couple more dances with #30 before he is gone forever...we should be trying to win every season, PERIOD.

Does that mean I want huge names every go around?!?  Of course not, but something more impactful than Sullivan....

Sorry but we really shouldn't piss the future down the toilet just so Marty can add another cup to his resume.

Marty is a shoe-in for the Hall so no worries about that.

#51 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

What is the problem with this trade? Really? He's a better option for the 2nd line than d'agostini and it gives us depth. Also we didnt pay out the ass for him like so many teams did (3 picks for clowe, two 2nds for Murray) Jokinen went for a 7th also but he's still on the books next year with a 3m cap hit.

#52 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

"Anything"?  Can you name any names?  Both the ones coming here and the ones the Devils were going to give up?  It's easy to say "Lou should've been able to do more" when you don't have to get into specifics. 

Sadly, it looks like #30 really needs a very very good team in front of him to prop him up at this point.  You'll never get me to say a bad word about him, but even I can't ignore the not-so-good save%s Marty has been putting up now for quite some time.  What deadline moves were going to make the Devils so good this season that they were going to be able to overcome the fact that, as a team, the Devils don't stop 90% of the shots they're facing? 

Life is going to go on for the Devils after Marty calls it a career.  They can't blow their wad trying to win Marty another Cup. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#53 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:15 PM

Lou, give Brad Bombardir a call and see if he's willing to come out of retirement for one last go round! Oops. He works for the Minnesota Wild. They've foiled us again.

Edited by slasher72, 03 April 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#54 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

What is the problem with this trade? Really? He's a better option for the 2nd line than d'agostini and it gives us depth. Also we didnt pay out the ass for him like so many teams did (3 picks for clowe, two 2nds for Murray) Jokinen went for a 7th also but he's still on the books next year with a 3m cap hit.

Because Sullivan is washed up. Guy missed pretty much two seasons with a back injury, has only finished a full season twice and is injury prone. We don't need any more injury prone old timers.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#55 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Going in on Bishop would have been a decent decision.

Bishop went for alot.   Either because they thought he was worth it or Yzerman is a moron.

#56 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Better yet, do a quick search and find out if any current Devils have brothers playing in the AHL and sign them, c'mon Lou!

#57 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Good depth move.  

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#58 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Clearly this deal was all about the Devils Alumni team needing another guy against the Legends of Hockey.

#59 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

Because Sullivan is washed up. Guy missed pretty much two seasons with a back injury, has only finished a full season twice and is injury prone. We don't need any more injury prone old timers.

He's going to be here for a whopping 14 games, plus playoffs if the Devils get in.  It's not like he's going to be here long-term.  It's a what-the-hell, didn't-cost-much kind of move.  If it doesn't work out, oh well, it cost all of a 7th-rounder. 

#30 FOREVER!

#60 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

apparently scott stevens was skating today so you never know lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users