159 replies to this topic

#81 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

I would have liked to see Jagr, Iginla, Pominville, etc added....if we could have done so without dealing a 1st....

lol there is no way to get any of those without either dealing a either a blue chip prospect, a top 6 NHL'er or 1st round pick.  Would you be willing to part with any of those for a rental?

#82 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

He looked good because he didn't have to be good.  We forechecked the sh!t out of the Flyers and Rangers in those rounds.  Marty was tested in Round 1 and the Finals and didn't look good at all.

I want whatever you're taking brother, because you live in a delusional world.  Yes, we dominated the Flyers.  If you think we dominated the Rags, then I think you need to go back and watch some film.  Those games were pretty much all extremely close, and hard fought. He was great for most of that series, did everything that was asked of him against Philly (especially in Game 2 where we were down only 1-0 going into the 3rd which allowed for the comeback that changed the series), and was good in games 1, 2, 4 and 5 in the Finals. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 03 April 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Posted Image

#83 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Those are the only type of goalie left really.  Why would anyone under 30 want to have learned any other way?

Bingo.   The position has changed to the point where all the goalies are going to be blimps who are slightly better or worse than each other.   There will be very few Marty style goalies again, likely no Hasek style goalies, and Moose type goalies, butterfly goalies who play small and have to dive/flail around?  Forget about that.

Edited by maxpower, 03 April 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#84 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

lol there is no way to get any of those without either dealing a either a blue chip prospect, a top 6 NHL'er or 1st round pick.  Would you be willing to part with any of those for a rental?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#85 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

I want whatever you're taking brother, because you live in a delusional world.  Yes, we dominated the Flyers.  If you think we dominated the Rags, then I think you need to go back and watch some film.  Those games were pretty much all extremely close, and hard fought. He was great for most of that series, did everything that was asked of him against Philly (especially in Game 2 where we were down only 1-0 going into the 3rd which allowed for the comeback that changed the series), and was good in games 1, 2, 4 and 5 in the Finals. 

The Rangers were actually taking the series away as it went along.   We just kept jumping them early in the games and then we'd get pounded.   He was very good in that series and beat Lundqvist.   Which will amuse me until the end of time.

#86 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,314 posts

I would have moved some prospects and later picks for any of those guys....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#87 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Sometimes I wonder why you root for this team

Marty didn;t have to be spectacular like in 2003 but he was good enough to get a win.  He made some highlight reel saves last year in Rounds 2 and 3 but was not the major reason why we won those.  We man-handled the Flyers and handled the Rangers with our aggressive forecheck that they had no answer for. 

Also only game 1 and 2 of the second round was somewhat close while game 5 and 6 of the 3rd round were somewhat close.  None of these were real nail-biters and the rest of the games were not even close.

#88 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

Marty didn;t have to be spectacular like in 2003 but he was good enough to get a win.  He made some highlight reel saves last year in Rounds 2 and 3 but was not the major reason why we won those.  We man-handled the Flyers and handled the Rangers with our aggressive forecheck that they had no answer for. 

Also only game 1 and 2 of the second round was somewhat close while game 5 and 6 of the 3rd round were somewhat close.  None of these were real nail-biters and the rest of the games were not even close.

The Rangers series was a war....

#89 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

I would have liked to see Jagr, Iginla, Pominville, etc added....if we could have done so without dealing a 1st....

Great.  For who?  And two of players did see a first-rounder go the other way. 

I know you're not alone in wishing Lou would've done something with more pizazz, I just don't think the deal was there to be made. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#90 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Yeah because a couple of prospects (any guy drafted by a team is a "prospect") and later picks are what those teams really want for their top-scorers :rolleyes:

The Rangers series was a war....

It was a war for the fans, but games 1-4 were not that close.

#91 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

Jagr cost a 2nd and 2 prospects.

Iginla cost a 1st and 2 prospects.

Pominville cost a 1st, a 2nd, a top goalie prospect, and a forward prospect.

So, again, how to later picks a prospects get those guys?

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#92 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Great.  For who?  And two of players did see a first-rounder go the other way. 

I know you're not alone in wishing Lou would've done something with more pizazz, I just don't think the deal was there to be made. 

I would have included any combination of Teddy/Josefson/any of our extra d-men/2nd round picks and later

Jagr cost a 2nd and 2 prospects.

Iginla cost a 1st and 2 prospects.

Pominville cost a 1st, a 2nd, a top goalie prospect, and a forward prospect.

So, again, how to later picks a prospects get those guys?

Would have gladly taken JJ for a 2nd and 2 prospects...

Would have tried to substitute something else in place of a 1st in the other deals....if it was not an option, it's understandable.  But I do not think LL even inquired on any of these players.  Even if he did, it is a moot point now.

#93 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

I would have included any combination of Teddy/Josefson/any of our extra d-men/2nd round picks and later

So Teddy, Josefson, Tallinder, a 2nd, and 4th for Jagr?  I'd be pretty upset if the Devils made that move.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#94 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Teddy and Josefson have little to no trade value at this point and the same with our extra d-men.  Also no way they would want a 2nd or later draft pick.  This is NHL 13 video game trading.

So Teddy, Josefson, Tallinder, a 2nd, and 4th for Jagr?  I'd be pretty upset if the Devils made that move.

I wouldn't care for Teddy and Josefson.  I kinda like Tallinder but can part with him.  I would hate to lose a 2nd and 4th for Jagr though and the fact that it would be a rental would make a huge waste.

#95 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Teddy and Josefson have little to no trade value at this point and the same with our extra d-men.  Also no way they would want a 2nd or later draft pick.  This is NHL 13 video game trading.

Neither did the guys that got moved for Jagr lol

But yeah they couldn't afford to give up any more real picks.  Clearly Lou doesn't like odd-round drafting though :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#96 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Not all of that, a combination of some of those parts

#97 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,323 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Neither did the guys that got moved for Jagr lol

But yeah they couldn't afford to give up any more real picks.  Clearly Lou doesn't like odd-round drafting though :P

Yeah I mean losing those players won't break me up but losing a 2nd or 1st round pick this year for a rental would piss me off.

#98 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Those are the only type of goalie left really.  Why would anyone under 30 want to have learned any other way?

Really? Take a look at our goalie prospects.

#99 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think d'agostini ends up on the 4th line by the end of the season.
Lines end up being something like:
Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Sullivan-Loktionov-Poni
D'agostini-Carter-Bernier

That lineup has some players playing on their off-wings but its still a really solid lineup

#100 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,892 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

The Rangers were actually taking the series away as it went along.   We just kept jumping them early in the games and then we'd get pounded.   He was very good in that series and beat Lundqvist.   Which will amuse me until the end of time.

Lundqvist was also not very good, specifically in games 4 and 5.  But yeah, this is pretty much what happened in Games 4, 5, and 6.  Dubinsky coming back was real big for them.

Really? Take a look at our goalie prospects.

Sure, I'll take a look.  Oh wait, none of them are putting up good save percentages really at any level?  Ah.  Good to know.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users