159 replies to this topic

#141 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

Marty does get hurt in save percentage because that doesn't count playing with a low shot counter and doesn't include shots he prevents with his stick handling.  Nor will save percentage include the offense he may help create through his stick handling, although I have no way to know if or how much this might add, but I feel it likely does help.

Not saying Marty is awesome and amazing anymore, but save percentage for Marty isn't the same indicator of overall play as for most goalies.

Marty's save% from '02-'03 to '09-'10:  .9165 (well above his career .9128)

from '10 on:  .9055  (well below)

That's a huge difference, and the biggest case against him...pucks simply get past him at a higher percentage now. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 April 2013 - 07:39 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#142 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:48 AM

Marty's save% from '02-'03 to '09-'10: .9165 (well above his career .9128)

from '10 on: .9055 (well below)

That's a huge difference, and the biggest case against him...pucks simply get past him at a higher percentage now.

Nobody was suggesting Marty is as good a goalie at 40 as he was in his prime.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#143 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Nobody was suggesting Marty is as good a goalie at 40 as he was in his prime.

Agreed, just pointing out the degree of the difference.  It's not like he went from .9165 to .911 or .910.  And I'm as big a supporter as you'll find of Marty, but not being able to stop 91% in today's NHL raises a bit of a red flag.  Luongo's .904 was enough for him to lose his job.  Not saying Marty should lose his...can't make any case for .886 Hedberg to be playing ahead of Marty, especially with Hedberg's blood-pressure spiking puck play.  

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#144 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Agreed, just pointing out the degree of the difference.  It's not like he went from .9165 to .911 or .910.  And I'm as big a supporter as you'll find of Marty, but not being able to stop 91% in today's NHL raises a bit of a red flag.  Luongo's .904 was enough for him to lose his job.  Not saying Marty should lose his...can't make any case for .886 Hedberg to be playing ahead of Marty, especially with Hedberg's blood-pressure spiking puck play.  

difference is Brodeur doesnt have a great young backup that people believe could take over... thats why Luongo lost his job mostly

www.SterioDesign.com

#145 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

difference is Brodeur doesnt have a great young backup that people believe could take over... thats why Luongo lost his job mostly

Re-read my post...that's pretty much what "can't make any case for .886 Hedberg to be playing ahead of Marty, especially with Hedberg's blood-pressure spiking puck play" states.  Marty is the #1 for two reasons right now:  1) his history, and 2) Hedberg isn't pushing him.  If Hedberg had played considerably better, or there was a legit candidate in the system, Marty would be in some trouble, at least from as far as being THE #1 guy goes.  Right now an aging and declining Marty is the Devils' best option...right now almost their only one.  That can't be the case in 2013-14, if the Devils have any designs on contending.

#30 FOREVER!

#146 Devilsrock01

Devilsrock01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

Sullivan: 'Glad to be going back to where it all began'

"That's going to be great," he said. "Obviously, as hockey players,
our goal is to play for the Stanley Cup, and to do so, you have to get
into the playoffs. Getting right back into the thick of things of a
playoff race is definitely going to be refreshing for myself. I just
look forward to hopefully getting another chance at playing for the
Cup."

As of Wednesday afternoon, Sullivan had yet to speak to the Devils
coaching staff about his role, but said he's ready for anything.

"I'm just going to go in with an open mind. Hopefully I can help in
some capacity, and wherever they want me to fill in, I'll be glad to do
so," he said.

Posted Image

#147 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yes, they use big equipment.

Take another look then, because comparatively speaking, Wedgewood and Kinkaid have smaller pads. Frazee isn't oversized either. Clermont is the biggest of them all.

Sure, I'll take a look.  Oh wait, none of them are putting up good save percentages really at any level?  Ah.  Good to know.

What part of my post said anything about their talent levels or how they were doing this year? I mentioned the size of their pads and I wasn't even talking to you. I toned down everything I've said to you since our save % debate, but this is my point about you sounding like a condescending prick.

Also take note that we don't have a Euro goalie either. They're all NA goaltenders. European goalies are the one's that tend to be bigger.

Let me reiterate, I think Lou will never draft/sign an over 6'4" monster sized goalie with big pads, a la Ben Bishop, Lundqvist, Lindback, no one like that. And if you still think our prospect goalies are the same size as that, well, then I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by ATLL765, 04 April 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#148 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,406 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

I was wondering why this got to be 8 pages.

Poor Mr Sullivan thinking everyone cared about him even...

no sir, sosdt :evil:

I'm here for the party

#149 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Take another look then, because comparatively speaking, Wedgewood and Kinkaid have smaller pads. Frazee isn't oversized either. Clermont is the biggest of them all.

What part of my post said anything about their talent levels or how they were doing this year? I mentioned the size of their pads and I wasn't even talking to you. I toned down everything I've said to you since our save % debate, but this is my point about you sounding like a condescending prick.

Also take note that we don't have a Euro goalie either. They're all NA goaltenders. European goalies are the one's that tend to be bigger.

Let me reiterate, I think Lou will never draft/sign an over 6'4" monster sized goalie with big pads, a la Ben Bishop, Lundqvist, Lindback, no one like that. And if you still think our prospect goalies are the same size as that, well, then I don't know what to tell you.

Gun to the head, I think Kinkaid is at least 6 '4

Edit- Wrong. He's 6 '3

Edited by SMantzas, 04 April 2013 - 10:01 AM.

#150 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Are you kidding? No.

assuming you're talking about how fayne might be the odd man out. I agree he's good and probably our 2nd or 3rd best defenseman. it didn't stop deboer from scratching him 10 times this year. he's a very cheap top 4 defenseman with one year of team control left. that can bring a decent amount back in return.

lou is not just gonna role this same team out there next year with maybe different version of sykora/d'agostini/kostopolous/darche/non-roster invite vet. last year's cup run was the reason this team was so similar. had florida won game 7, this team is much different i think - even starting with CBGB and from there out. you can be sure that salvador isn't here - or at least not on that contract.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#151 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

You know the transaction was a tiny one.. .when you aren't talking about the player since Page 3...

The Usual Marty TakeOver !

#152 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

You know the transaction was a tiny one.. .when you aren't talking about the player since Page 3...

I'll talk about Sullivan! lol

He still has very good speed, a nice shot, and he is good on the powerplay. Too bad he is a fossil.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#153 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I'll talk about Sullivan! lol

He still has very good speed, a nice shot, and he is good on the powerplay. Too bad he is a fossil.

Him being a fossil means nothing in the short term...   if we resign him, I'd be far more concerned about age. 

Edited by aylbert, 04 April 2013 - 11:56 AM.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#154 PacificDevil

PacificDevil

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

You know transaction is a tiny one when he will only play in Saturday (meanwhile all the new Rags somehow already played on the same day they got acquired)

#155 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

assuming you're talking about how fayne might be the odd man out. I agree he's good and probably our 2nd or 3rd best defenseman. it didn't stop deboer from scratching him 10 times this year. he's a very cheap top 4 defenseman with one year of team control left. that can bring a decent amount back in return.

lou is not just gonna role this same team out there next year with maybe different version of sykora/d'agostini/kostopolous/darche/non-roster invite vet. last year's cup run was the reason this team was so similar. had florida won game 7, this team is much different i think - even starting with CBGB and from there out. you can be sure that salvador isn't here - or at least not on that contract.

It's amazing to think about what would've happened if Florida won game 7. We'd be an almost entirely different franchise, we'd still be in financial trouble and lack attendance.

Honestly, I think the Rangers could've had a 75% chance at winning the Cup if Florida makes it to round 2 and we don't...

#156 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

hat trick coming up from sullivan versus the leafs. 

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#157 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

You know transaction is a tiny one when he will only play in Saturday (meanwhile all the new Rags somehow already played on the same day they got acquired)

And Jagr played last night for Boston.

What is the hold-up with Sullivan?

Edited by 95Crash, 05 April 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#158 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Paper work issue releasing him for the Old Folks Home

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#159 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's amazing to think about what would've happened if Florida won game 7. We'd be an almost entirely different franchise, we'd still be in financial trouble and lack attendance.

Honestly, I think the Rangers could've had a 75% chance at winning the Cup if Florida makes it to round 2 and we don't...

Getting to the Cup Finals yes (especially since they own the Flyers, who they would have wound up playing in the ECF most likely), but they weren't beating the Kings last year either.  

Supposedly they didn't want to rush him into a game cause he played for Phoenix the night before (all of nine minutes) and were worried about his back so they just sent him to NJ to get the physical and didn't want to shuttle him from Phx-NJ-Bos.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#160 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

He will be 1st line right wing tonight with Elias and Loktionov. I wouldnt be surprised if he impresses. He plays good with talent, just like last season in Pittsburgh. He might do very well with Elias and Lokti.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users