101 replies to this topic

#21 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:23 AM

perspective!  if we were in last place all year and had a hot streak to put us within 2 pts of the playoffs................

#22 maniacdevsdude

maniacdevsdude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

Part of what makes me proud to be a fan of this organisation is the never say die attitude and the fact that everyone is committed to winning. We don’t cheapen the badge on the front by tanking a season to get a good draft pick like the Penguins.[/size]
One of the most exciting times for me as a Devils fan was the 10-11 season where we went on the run and narrowly missed the playoffs. People at the time then were saying " oh but now we are going to have a lousy draft pick" and it was a good feeling when we won it, it was almost like a reward for not throwing in the towel. [/size]
[/size]
I would rather they played hard until the end of the season and narfowly missed out, than just give up and play for the loser prize.[/size]

This. I would rather see them play hard to the end despite the playoffs, than roll over to get the high pick. And i will take that choice every single time. Believe. Just Believe.

Edited by maniacdevsdude, 08 April 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#23 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Last season 12-4 in shoot outs. This year 2-7...

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Hmmm things to do.... Practice shoot out,practice shoot out,god dammit practice the shoot out!!!!!

It is what it is.  Some guys are good at it, some guys aren't...some guys seem to have a knack for it.  Unfortunately right now the Devils' #1 guy is out, and their #2 guy is playing for another team.  We're extremely spoiled when it comes to the shootout because they were so damned good at it until this year.  Some teams have been just the opposite since '05-'06, and sadly, we're finding out how the other half lives.

There's a lot I don't like about the shootout, but one of the things I don't like about it is it's all luck, as far as whether your team is good at it or not.  If you have a team that has defensive or offensive issues, the GM can make a move to find a coach that can improve such issues, or upgrade the personnel to find more qualified and skilled players...same with upgrading the goalie position...the moves may or may not work out, but at least it makes sense to try to address such deficiencies.  No GM is ever bringing in a player to improve on the shootout, and as we've seen, there's players who might be almost useless otherwise, but can do well in the shootout, and vice-versa.  No GM is looking at any given player who might be able to help his team in regulation and OT, and thinking to himself, "But is he any good in the shootout?  If he's not, I might have to pass."  And unfortunately for a team like the Devils, the skills competition comes up just enough in a season like this that you can feel the effects of not being successful in them, but even with that, less than a quarter of the Devils' games have gone to a shootout, so how much time would a coach really want to spend on trying to improve on them?    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 April 2013 - 06:44 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

perspective!  if we were in last place all year and had a hot streak to put us within 2 pts of the playoffs................

Then the team would be playing well, getting the bounces, having positive energy and a positive attitude. I'm pretty sure the dressing room doesn't have that vibe...

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#26 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

I'm assuming this is the annual jump ship thread?

#27 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

No nay never.

Throwing the season to get a good draft pick is the last thing any team should aim to do. We are losing games at the moment but that doesn't mean that pride should go with it.

Twitter: @IceOwl14

#28 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

just keep pace and hope kovie comes back in time. 

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#29 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

Says who?? This team is capable of defeating ANY opponent in the division once healthy and playing at full strength. This quitters mentality is disappointing. They're not giving up on us. We shouldn't give up on them. LGD!!!!!!!

Me, it's my opinion.   I feel the team has played better the last 2-3 games but the results haven't panned out.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that with 9 games remaining they need to win at least 6 of them, probably 7, to keep pace with the others.  

Of course we're still in it. But the odds are getting long.  Maybe the bad luck it at is bottom now...Perhaps when Kovy returns our system dynamics will change enough to throw off the opponents....The best hope is for a Rangers collapse including us beating them twice in the last week, to get in...Hey the Kings qualified on the last game of the season & won the championship.  

But we're still 5-14 in the last 19 games. 

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

Me, it's my opinion.   I feel the team has played better the last 2-3 games but the results haven't panned out.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that with 9 games remaining they need to win at least 6 of them, probably 7, to keep pace with the others.  

Of course we're still in it. But the odds are getting long.  Maybe the bad luck it at is bottom now...Perhaps when Kovy returns our system dynamics will change enough to throw off the opponents....The best hope is for a Rangers collapse including us beating them twice in the last week, to get in...Hey the Kings qualified on the last game of the season & won the championship.  

But we're still 5-14 in the last 19 games. 

Started 8-1-3, then went 2-2-1. 

Since Feb 23, they're 5-11-6.  Three regulation wins in that span.  I'm not giving up by any stretch...all it takes is one decent burst to stay in this thing...but at the same time, 5-11-6 is really not great tonic for optimism. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

Here's a positive: We are chasing the Islanders...the fish sticks. Tavares or not, they are still capable of stinking it up for many games in a stretch as they have for the past twenty years. I think theyll come down from their hot streak soon.

People keep saying that, but at least the Islanders can occasionally win a hockey game.  Just occasionally.  It'd be nice if we did it without Kovy sooner or later.  Not to mention the objects in the rear view mirror are just as close as they appear too.  They may be 'chasing' the Isles now, but one or two more losses and Philly/Buffalo/WPG-Caps will be right with them.

Part of what makes me proud to be a fan of this organisation is the never say die attitude and the fact that everyone is committed to winning. We don’t cheapen the badge on the front by tanking a season to get a good draft pick like the Penguins.

One of the most exciting times for me as a Devils fan was the 10-11 season where we went on the run and narrowly missed the playoffs. People at the time then were saying " oh but now we are going to have a lousy draft pick" and it was a good feeling when we won it, it was almost like a reward for not throwing in the towel.

I would rather they played hard until the end of the season and narfowly missed out, than just give up and play for the loser prize.

Agreed.  Besides, it's not as if we've done a great job developing our 'loser prize' of two seasons ago.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

People keep saying that, but at least the Islanders can occasionally win a hockey game.  Just occasionally.  It'd be nice if we did it without Kovy sooner or later.  Not to mention the objects in the rear view mirror are just as close as they appear too.  They may be 'chasing' the Isles now, but one or two more losses and Philly/Buffalo/WPG-Caps will be right with them.

Agreed.  Besides, it's not as if we've done a great job developing our 'loser prize' of two seasons ago.

Funny, re:  Larsson, I find myself wondering if he's starting to wonder if he would've been better off with a different organization, even though the one that drafted him went to the SCF in his rookie year.  Clearly still very young, and not too many NHL players have 94 NHL games under their belts at his age...but with the young guys, confidence can be so fragile...just hope his head will be OK as he heads into his real developmental years. 

#30 FOREVER!

#33 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:30 AM

Funny, re: Larsson, I find myself wondering if he's starting to wonder if he would've been better off with a different organization, even though the one that drafted him went to the SCF in his rookie year. Clearly still very young, and not too many NHL players have 94 NHL games under their belts at his age...but with the young guys, confidence can be so fragile...just hope his head will be OK as he heads into his real developmental years.

Larsson is gonna be fine. How many 20 year olds can hang in the NHL?

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,940 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

By his own admission it's not good for his confidence continually being scratched.  Or being told you can only play defensively and not develop offensively at all.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#35 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to get a higher draft pick.  They seem to be snake bit this year.  Just played 3 games in a row where they dominated the other guys and lost all 3. Well, 2 1/2 anyway.

#36 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

I can't say I'm filled with worry about his situation...like I said, even if he hasn't taken the league by storm, he's got almost 100 GP at the NHL level, and he's only 20.  He's getting experience, and he hasn't been a disaster.  It's more wondering what he's thinking...the team isn't playing well this season, he's been scratched...some guys can take this stuff, realize it's part of the growing pains/development process, and get past it and even be stronger for it in the long run...for others, it can start messing with their heads and confidence, and have them questioning everything. 

Let us not forget that he was being talked about as a possible #1 overall, and that he's just a kid...I'm speculating of course, nothing more, but youth isn't known for their patience...and these two seasons haven't been easy for him...I just hope he's OK mentally.  It probably hasn't gone quite like he thought it would.

#30 FOREVER!

#37 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,797 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Clearly you can't really waive the white flag when you're only 2 down to the 7th and 8th seeds with 9 games to go...however this season is a huge reversal of the good luck we enjoyed last season and playoffs (and no we didn't win solely on luck...but we got it when we needed it)

this year we have zero luck, and the games are all the same. We play well, they get a bullcrap goal 5 minutes in, we continue to outplay they, get robbed by the goalie or hit posts, they get a soft backbreaker on brodeur late in the 2nd...we get a goal to tease...they win. 

That is literally every game. The Boston game will be the same. 

The little points they pick up here and there just prolong the misery

We need the Rags to lose tonight and in regulation. Do you guys honestly think the luck Toronto got against us will be there against the Rags? Not a chance

Though I can see NYI losing to Philly on Tuesday...but that will only draw Philly 1 point behind us.

And how the hell are we beating Boston? We have no prayer of getting even 1 past Rask. NO SHOT

Edited by '7', 08 April 2013 - 08:08 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#38 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

Last year was a lucky year in that Marty was inspired to get us to the finals.

Without Zach we don't have the horses to do anything.   

I don't want to suggest we roll over, because they have played in a very spirited manner regardless of the loses, but I can't see us going very far, even if we make it.   I am happy with a higher draft pick if we dont'. 

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#39 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

It may be a stupid question, but with the luck we are having, and with the results recently, maybe we should play for the better draft pick. Hate or not, this looks like a pretty deep draft, so maybe getting a star player at #5 would be better for the team in the future.

Thoughts?

Tank now??  If that is the thought process LL should have traded everything possible before the deasdline and added picks & prospects!!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

You never raise a white flag -- just embrace your role as spoiler... yeesh.  you newbie fans  ;)

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users