101 replies to this topic

#61 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

And with a 10-year deal, LA is pretty much tied to Quick...so even if Bernier outplays him, Quick would be hard to move. He had a terrible March BTW...an .881 save% in 13 GP, which usually gets you benched for a bit...unless on you're on a 10-year deal.

Could it be that he also brings other intangibles to the table? He can handle the puck better than average (minus the ZP blunder in the finals), and from what I know, he's a good leader.

I'd take either one but hard to imagine it ever happening lol

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#62 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Marty has zero lateral movement anymore. This was evident last year with his increased flopping. It's what led to the second Sabres goal last night. No lateral movement.

That save attempt i have seen my son do 1000 times in NHL '13, but I was stunned to see it in a game. I called my wife into the room to watch the replay.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#63 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Could it be that he also brings other intangibles to the table? He can handle the puck better than average (minus the ZP blunder in the finals), and from what I know, he's a good leader.

I'd take either one but hard to imagine it ever happening lol

I know there's more to goaltending than just stopping the puck, I'm just saying that .881 over a month and .898 over a full season in today's NHL is pretty bad...if he has another season like that next year, he's going to start to get criticized...LA didn't sign him up long-term to see him put up roughly .900 save%s, or rank 40th in the save% category. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#64 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I know there's more to goaltending than just stopping the puck, I'm just saying that .881 over a month and .898 over a full season in today's NHL is pretty bad...if he has another season like that next year, he's going to start to get criticized...LA didn't sign him up long-term to see him put up roughly .900 save%s, or rank 40th in the save% category.

Oh I wasn't questioning you at all, I was really asking if you think that could be a reason he keeps getting the nod over Bernier. I know Bernier was out for a week or two due to his grandmother passing away and he just wasn't there mentally because of it.

Quick needs to level his game back out because Conn Smythe or not, he's not going to be absolved of a poor save %, especially in the LA market

#65 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Bernier isn't all that awesome IMO. He's probably average to slightly above.

#66 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Get off this "trade for a goalie" thing. We can't score as is. You think that will get better losing an asset? No

Edited by Devils Pride 26, 08 April 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#67 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

Get of this "trade for a goalie" thing. We can't score as is. You think that will get better losing an asset? No

I think the Devils are hoping the goalie(s) of the future are coming from within anyway.  I agree in that I think they want to hang onto their assets.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Oh I wasn't questioning you at all, I was really asking if you think that could be a reason he keeps getting the nod over Bernier. I know Bernier was out for a week or two due to his grandmother passing away and he just wasn't there mentally because of it.

Quick needs to level his game back out because Conn Smythe or not, he's not going to be absolved of a poor save %, especially in the LA market

I'd say 10 years is the biggest reason...would be a disaster to bury a guy on the first year of a mega-deal...I'm sure they don't want to kill his confidence, especially when he showed he can flourish in the playoffs.  They're hoping this is just a half-season little speedbump that will soon be forgotten. 

#30 FOREVER!

#69 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

The organization will never push him out... I think that is understood..  I think Bernier is 24... I want someone who we can have for a long time... But that person has some serious shoes to fill... No pressure!! 

#70 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Colorado... Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

someone actually said this... blahhhhhh ..now thats priceless

#71 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

The organization will never push him out... I think that is understood.. I think Bernier is 24... I want someone who we can have for a long time... But that person has some serious shoes to fill... No pressure!!

Tri always makes a great point in regards to the heir to the Brodeur throne: as long as he plays better than or equal to Marty of the twilight years, he'll be fine.

What I don't want to see is a goalie tandem in a few years of keepers like Dan Ellis and Chris Mason (just an example) to hold us over while we wait on Kinkaid/Wedgewood.

#72 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

When quick is on his game their ain't a better goalie in the league. Dudes got the flexibility of a teenage cheerleader

Edited by CarterforPresident, 08 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#73 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Colorado... Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Yeah...guy calling himself MacDevil posted that back in 2005 (actually he started a thread with that question)...his reasoning was that Clemmensen had gotten a full AHL season of shootout play under his belt, and that since Marty hadn't, Marty apparently wasn't capable of playing in a shootout.  He wasn't joking btw...he was quite deadly serious.  He also posted how Lou should be fired and many other gems...it was only a matter of time before he was chased off the board.  He was pretty much history by 2006.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 April 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#74 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

It's hard to get better at a skills competition. Either the players have the skill to be successful at it or they don't. I don't think there is a lot to be taught there by the coaches, other than the weaknesses of the goalie you are facing, or tendencies of the shooters, which is usually done through film sessions.
Posted Image

#75 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

You sure are a cocky newbie. :rolleyes:

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#76 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I don't think you're reading that correctly.  The op was just c/p'ing a quote from 1976's sig and was asking if anyone really said that (and not in jest) lol

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#77 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

I remember the original.  :)

You give the op that poster the benefit of the doubt.  lol  I see it as double entendre...never ending no matter the topic.. 

Edited by StarDew, 08 April 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#78 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

when we lose marty we lose his puck play too, devils will have a steep learning curve playing in front of a butterfly.

imo was a lot of why moose had a rough go at it, they wernt scoring for him either or any offensive pressure.

edit: oh and no waving of white flags please.

Edited by lazer, 09 April 2013 - 03:26 PM.

Posted Image

#79 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

I get the idea Quick is a bit of a cack.  I think he's a good hockey player and has hockey character on ice.  But he's a real sh!t off ice now.  I'll give him time to adjust and I didn't write about him sooner - but he's not very down to earth.  I like players who stay down to earth at least in some area.  To not -- it means you're not grounded - then you're not prepared to deal with adversity as well as you should be.  It's just weak.  He'll be OK and I wouldn't mind him on the Devils. But I think he's a cack :evil:

(hey -- he's from my home town in case you all forgot so I'm not totally talking out of my ass this time, like I do about everyone else :giggle:  )

Edited by Pepperkorn, 09 April 2013 - 07:50 PM.

I'm here for the party

#80 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Never give up we are devils.... you win nothing when you put the white flag on!

We dont give up just dont

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users