139 replies to this topic

#21 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

You guys are CRAZY... Or maybe I'm crazy, but I see a LOT of potential in Larsson. I love his vision and poise, and mainly his patience. He hiccups and causes a stupid play just as often as every other veteran on our team, if not less.

#22 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Maybe the problem is that he's meant to have a game like Lidstrom, but unfortunately no one is that good. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#23 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,046 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

Maybe the problem is that he's meant to have a game like Lidstrom, but unfortunately no one is that good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If Larsson turns out to be half of what Lidstrom was, no one will be complaining, trust me.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#24 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Larsson is pretty decent, I just think he's too soft. He seems to take a big hit like the Subban one and it fvcks with him the rest of the season.

#25 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

This thread again? Although I'll give Daniel more credit, he's not just trolling the older thread's creator was.

Pros:
- Great Passer
- Great awareness
- 19 years young, good size

Cons:
- Sub-par skating
- Plays scared/tends to panic

He shouldn't be gifted minutes over veterans like Tallinder, Greene, Zidlicky, Fayne and Volchenkov. He needs to earn his keep.

But when PBD dresses AHL fodder like Harrold over him it blows my mind and pisses me right off.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#26 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Larsson is pretty decent, I just think he's too soft. He seems to take a big hit like the Subban one and it fvcks with him the rest of the season.

I think that's the case with any young rookie, thus the whole "keep yer head up, kid" phrase. He takes some big hits, but at his age, who doesn't? Every opposition player knows he's the young kid and knows to finish their hits when Larsson's on the ice. It's less a commentary on his style of play and more what we should expect from the oppositions' scouting with a high profile high draft pick on our starting lineup. If Urbom or Gelinas were our "young defensive star", they'd have to absorb much of the same. It's not like he can't learn how to avoid or get by players who finish their check, he absolutely can.

Edited by DJ Eco, 08 April 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#27 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

He's in his 20 year old year.    There's the rebuke to your argument.    It's entirely possible he doesn't hit his peak until after his obligations to the Devils are over.

My biggest concern with him.... does he have the right guy around the organization to learn from?   The guy who was the best fit for him is in SJ now.

#28 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Maybe the problem is that he's meant to have a game like Lidstrom, but unfortunately no one is that good. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

we dont need to re-hash where Lidstrom was at Larsson's age again do we?

You guys - furious he's scratched. Then when he plays you want him shipped as a clear bust.

I have nothing to say -- it's grumping me out - because you see the start of a path for correction and vets sort of almost kind of pick it up -- I have trouble trusting our players.  Which sort of blows my mind.  I think our players dont trust themselves is the whole thing. 

I'm nto writing about.  I don't know what I'm writing about...  :noclue:  no one here does in case anyone wanted to get all wise on me  :evil:

I'm here for the party

#29 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Have to admit I don't see the panic so far. I actually think is fairly patient with the puck. He doesn't have the offensive upside I was expecting. He is also not very physical, but the few times he is you can tell he is a strong guy. He also is good at getting his shots through which is useful in our system.

He doesn't like an elite player right now, so maybe he's a bust by that standard... but I think he will be a very good defenceman  capable of playing in any situation. The Victor Hedman comparison is a good one, and if Larsson turns into that I can live with it.

Posted Image

#30 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Have to admit I don't see the panic so far. I actually think is fairly patient with the puck. He doesn't have the offensive upside I was expecting. He is also not very physical, but the few times he is you can tell he is a strong guy. He also is good at getting his shots through which is useful in our system.

He doesn't like an elite player right now, so maybe he's a bust by that standard... but I think he will be a very good defenceman  capable of playing in any situation. The Victor Hedman comparison is a good one, and if Larsson turns into that I can live with it.

Especially when he had his chances on the PK earlier in the season. Anytime there was a loose puck in the slot and Larsson was near, I had nothing but confidence he'd get the clear. More times than not, I felt that was the case.

Sure, there will be bumps in the road, but who honestly expected him to be an NHL-ready, top pair defender out of the gate?

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#31 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Sure, there will be bumps in the road, but who honestly expected him to be an NHL-ready, top pair defender out of the gate?

Half of this board, apparently.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#32 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

People who don't follow the rest of the league and haven't watched a guy this young play D in 20 years (if ever), I imagine.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#33 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

Especially when he had his chances on the PK earlier in the season. Anytime there was a loose puck in the slot and Larsson was near, I had nothing but confidence he'd get the clear. More times than not, I felt that was the case.

Larsson has well above average stick skills. Passing, defending with the stick; think about that 2 on 1, can't remember what game, went down one knee, put the stick out in front of him, took away the pass beautifully. I don't think he panics, I just I feel like sometimes he thinks he's got more time and then doesn't. I think this will improve as time goes on and he adjusts to the speed of the game.

#34 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

put it this way, i would love to see larsson whenever zid is holding the point on a pp. with larsson, the cycle continues, with zid there is a breakaway and a possible shorty.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#35 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

If I don't see Larsson come in with better footwork and agility next season then I'm going to start to worry.  If his footwork and agility don't improve then he'll never be better than a bottom tier defenseman.  It's really poor how often he can't get to pucks but it looks like he's skating mud while average skaters are exploding to get to pucks before him or skating around him, while he twirls and stumbles.

If Larsson gets better footwork and agility worked out then I think he become a top level defenseman, at least a guy you can count on in the defensive end who can make good passes.  I'm not sure big offense will ever be his thing but his passing is good enough if his defensive shortcomings are worked out.

put it this way, i would love to see larsson whenever zid is holding the point on a pp. with larsson, the cycle continues, with zid there is a breakaway and a possible shorty.

For me, you're asking to take the Devils best PP defenseman off the PP to put maybe the 5th best guy on it.  If I had to guess who would give up more SH goals if left on an island during the PP, it would definitely be Larsson.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#36 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Larsson hasn't been the same since Subban killed him

#37 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

His skating really does need work. How hard is it to improve on your speed though?

#38 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

He should of stayed in Sweden last year and played this year and next in Albany.  The Devils used to do it right with young kids.

#39 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

He should of stayed in Sweden last year and played this year and next in Albany.  The Devils used to do it right with young kids.

They played Gomez and Nieds as teens.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#40 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

They played Gomez and Nieds as teens.

They also sent both back to juniors.