139 replies to this topic

#101 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

The operative words being "in hindsight". 

That's totally asinine considering these guys weren't even picked two years ago. I believe Larsson has played more games than anyone else in his draft class. Landeskog and RNH may be close though

#102 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Couturier is going to be a Selke-level forward who drives play a ridiculous amount.  RNH - he'll be a PP wizard, but it remains unclear if he will drive play, plus his goal scoring numbers weren't great in junior either - I'd be concerned about that long term.  31 goals in his draft year is not a whole lot.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#103 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

That's totally asinine considering these guys weren't even picked two years ago. I believe Larsson has played more games than anyone else in his draft class. Landeskog and RNH may be close though

Courturier has played more games on what is arguably a deeper team.  And the other players I've mentioned, especially Hamilton that plays at the same position, do not have the regular f-ups that Larsson seems to have every game.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#104 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Courturier has played more games on what is arguably a deeper team.  And the other players I've mentioned, especially Hamilton that plays at the same position, do not have the regular f-ups that Larsson seems to have every game.

Perhaps, but Hamilton plays with Chara and Brodin plays with Suter. I love Andy Greene, but he is nowhere near as good as these guys.  It's easier to hide a forward on the fourth line than hide a dman, Daniel

#105 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

The Flyers aren't a deeper team at forward than NJ is at defense.

I'm sure you're watching all Hamilton's games like you are Larsson's.  BTW, Hamilton's territorial stats have come to earth since the beginning of the year - I think he like a lot of guys who were playing hockey elsewhere this year got a little bump.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#106 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

RNH is also only 19. He'll fill out. If he doesn't, I can see credence in your argument, but just on the massive potential, I'd take him. If you'd honestly take Zibanejad or Couturier over him, you're insane I think. If you're scared of the shoulder injuries, that's your prerogative, but I'd take the chance. 

They probably should've sent him back down to Red Deer last year to fill out and not get beat up, but that's hindsight now. 

RNH does not have "massive" potential.  Hell, he didn't even make the Canadian world junior team during his draft year.  That isn't necessarily an indiciation of his future potential, but he was far from being a can't miss kind of talent on draft day like Tavares, or even Yakupov. 

Absent a healthy dose of steroids, he won't fill out all that much more.  If you've seen him in person like I have, you'd think he was the type of guy who got wedgies in high school.

RNH is not and probably will not be a bust.  At worst, he'll be seen as an unspectactular, but adequate number 1 pick in a draft that didn't have that any future superstars. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#107 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

Since we're talking that past draft, I'm still flabbergasted at Couturier's free fall.  Defensively responsible, big body, not a bad skater, and huge juniors numbers across 2 seasons.

One of my Islander fan friends said the Islanders took Strome because they were worried Couturier would give them a player too similar in style to Tavares.....Oh no, too many Tavares type players on my team.  

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#108 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Since we're talking that past draft, I'm still flabbergasted at Couturier's free fall.  Defensively responsible, big body, not a bad skater, and huge juniors numbers across 2 seasons.

One of my Islander fan friends said the Islanders took Strome because they were worried Couturier would give them a player too similar in style to Tavares.....Oh no, too many Tavares type players on my team.  

I can't believe the Islanders, Sens and Jets passed on this guy. I was so pissed when I realized the Flyers would either get Couturier or Hamilton

#109 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

The best about Larson is people were talking like he was some Scott Stevens remake... Why because he is on the bigger side?? Sometimes the kid looks like a deer in headlights.. But lets compare him to our captain.. Captain Salvador Hook.. Oh wait he sucks...

#110 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I can't believe the Islanders, Sens and Jets passed on this guy. I was so pissed when I realized the Flyers would either get Couturier or Hamilton

Yeah couldn't believe he fell that low. Although, Zibanejad is turning out to be a great pick.

#111 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

In a few years I am going to look back at this post and laugh.    This sound almost exactly the complaints about Nieds his first few seasons.

Defensemen take more time to develop.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#112 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

RNH does not have "massive" potential.  Hell, he didn't even make the Canadian world junior team during his draft year.  That isn't necessarily an indiciation of his future potential, but he was far from being a can't miss kind of talent on draft day like Tavares, or even Yakupov. 

Absent a healthy dose of steroids, he won't fill out all that much more.  If you've seen him in person like I have, you'd think he was the type of guy who got wedgies in high school.

RNH is not and probably will not be a bust.  At worst, he'll be seen as an unspectactular, but adequate number 1 pick in a draft that didn't have that any future superstars. 

RNH was the clearcut #1 that year. There was no debate about him going #1 by January IIRC. He's a shrimp now, you think he won't become normal human size? Crosby filled out after his first year and there's no reason the smaller for his frame RNH won't either. He's not like 5'7" or something. He may not ever learn to play defense esp on that eternally cruddy Oilers team, but to say he wasn't in the same league as Yakupov is asinine and 100% making stuff up. If he stays the size he is now, you're right, but don't act like nobody's ever gained weight and he's such a shrimp there's no way for him not to. He's not exactly 35 and on the downside here 

It's not like the Oilers couldn't find anyone and just settled on RNH. Hell they probably would've been better taking Larsson since they needed a defenseman or Couturier in hindsight since he better fits their needs now but he was the clear cut #1 that year. 

Edited by DH26, 09 April 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#113 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,529 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

RNH was the clearcut #1 that year. There was no debate about him going #1 by January IIRC. He's a shrimp now, you think he won't become normal human size? Crosby filled out after his first year and there's no reason the smaller for his frame RNH won't either. He's not like 5'7" or something. He may not ever learn to play defense esp on that eternally cruddy Oilers team, but to say he wasn't in the same league as Yakupov is asinine and 100% making stuff up. If he stays the size he is now, you're right, but don't act like nobody's ever gained weight and he's such a shrimp there's no way for him not to. He's not exactly 35 and on the downside here 

It's not like the Oilers couldn't find anyone and just settled on RNH. Hell they probably would've been better taking Larsson since they needed a defenseman or Couturier in hindsight since he better fits their needs now but he was the clear cut #1 that year. 

If the Oilers could do it all over again, I bet they would take Landeskog. 

I recall it was a little later than January before RNH was the generally thought of as the Number 1 prospect.  For a while it was actually Courturier.  So far as the "experts" predictions, they were all over the map.  Some had Larsson number 1 up until the day of the draft, and I think a few might have even had Huberdeau going number 1.  Yakupov was number 1 in virtually everyone's mock, except for a few that thought that the Oilers would draft a defenseman out of need.  The point isn't so much to say that the experts always know what they're talking about.  It's just that there was no one in the draft that was a can't miss superstar, which is what you're always hoping for with a number 1 pick. 

Posted Image

#114 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

If we were lower I wish we woulda took dumba. Both defense and offense. A leader and a hard hiter like Stevens which is something we need.

#115 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

The best about Larson is people were talking like he was some Scott Stevens remake... Why because he is on the bigger side?? Sometimes the kid looks like a deer in headlights.. But lets compare him to our captain.. Captain Salvador Hook.. Oh wait he sucks...

They did? I don't remember that at all. I remember hearing, Lidstrom like 1000 times, not like Stevens though. He was said to be not much of a hitter, defends with stick well, excellent passer and decently mobile with a good sized frame.

Edited by ATLL765, 09 April 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#116 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

They did? I don't remember that at all. I remember hearing, Lidstrom like 1000 times, not like Stevens though. He was said to be not much of a hitter, defends with stick well, excellent passer and decently mobile with a good sized frame.

I think he was referring to the amount of people calling Larsson soft for not making big hits.

Seriously, this thread has become hilarious with some of the posts. It's like some expected him to be the most versatile, HOF defender just because we took him 4th.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#117 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,388 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

No one said that.  At least i read that no where.  Just the Lidstrom comparison.  what's his face -- the fat kid...Phaneuf, he was compared to Stevens. 

every thred is just inventing somethign to talk about.  It's almost like off season except we have fresh hockey material - just not fresh or new Devils material.

I'm here for the party

#118 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I remember TSN said his best comp was Sami Salo I had a LOLgasm when I saw that

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#119 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Tough crowd around here these days. Labeling a 2nd year player a bust because he hasn't lit the world on fire at 20 years old? Wow.

It takes years for these guys to develop. Also there seems to be a weird thing on this board where people assume every player not in NJ plays perfectly every game.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#120 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

Tough crowd around here these days. Labeling a 2nd year player a bust because he hasn't lit the world on fire at 20 years old? Wow.

It takes years for these guys to develop. Also there seems to be a weird thing on this board where people assume every player not in NJ plays perfectly every game.

If you don't see them play, it's safe to assume that they are amazing and probably exactly the kind of player the Devils need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users