#121 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Let's talk about Salvador!

Seriously i think I'll watch his little video blurbs to see what insight I glean.

I miss Scott Stevens something awful.  :(  I knew I would... but I hoped it'd work out.  I dont miss his hits at all.  There was so much more.  It was the way he just saw everything.  and he could forecast the play seamlessly to the other guys.  You know - it's no wonder Rafalski loved Jeopardy.  He loved remembering things and he knew how to read Stevens.   

I dont know how to teach that.  I'm trying to think about it.  I have a zillion dopey acting exercises and trust crap -- but that's just not hockey.  It's that unspoken communication.  I can do it I can read it... I have no clue how to teach it. It's art.  I'm sorry but it is.   I think maybe I should watch old Lidstrom tape too... just to see how he hears and communicates - aside from being stand-alone perfect.

Stevens captured the team perfection - he wasn't a stand-alone guy.  That's what I like.  You dont need that on a team but the Devils organization thinks that way - parts of a whole and stuff - listening communicating trusting.  They have a particular style of winning.  When the style doesn't click -- blah... and as I suspected he doesn't have a handle on teaching that quite yet. He's pretty relentless so he will I have no doubt. 

I can't guess what he's up to now.  It's very possible that he's got a mixed hand - sometimes a little heavy but then he'll pull back because he's not sure - then maybe it gets confusing. Part of me says I want him to play a scrimmage with these guys so they get it in something closer to a gameline setting -- but --- Rafalski proved you can understand it completely and not recreate it.  ---    so how do you teach it?  and I just KNOW Scott gets a huge part I dont about manipulating the skills a guy does have...

ok... so is this enough?  Have I killed the thread or do I need to start sharing fantasies I have about Stevens as coach... my day dream about talking to him over a tavern table.. I WILL go there if you all don't let this stupid thread die...  :evil:

I'm here for the party

#122 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Lets not get hasty

#123 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

Tough crowd around here these days. Labeling a 2nd year player a bust because he hasn't lit the world on fire at 20 years old? Wow.

It takes years for these guys to develop. Also there seems to be a weird thing on this board where people assume every player not in NJ plays perfectly every game.

based on people like Pierre McGuire and other people who value big tough Canadians over "soft" Euros, there are probably some people who wish we took Hamilton when it would've been asinine at the time. I'm sure if Larsson had Zdeno Chara next to him he'd be doing ok too  :P

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#124 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Tough crowd around here these days. Labeling a 2nd year player a bust because he hasn't lit the world on fire at 20 years old? Wow.
It takes years for these guys to develop. Also there seems to be a weird thing on this board where people assume every player not in NJ plays perfectly every game.

based on people like Pierre McGuire and other people who value big tough Canadians over "soft" Euros, there are probably some people who wish we took Hamilton when it would've been asinine at the time. I'm sure if Larsson had Zdeno Chara next to him he'd be doing ok too :P

Funny because McGuire absolutely gushed over Larsson at the draft and during the NBC broadcasts. I think you have Don Cherry in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#125 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

Funny because McGuire absolutely gushed over Larsson at the draft and during the NBC broadcasts. I think you have Don Cherry in mind. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I mean McGuire this year when NBC has the Bruins games. I dunno if you've seen him then, but I think he'd propose to Dougie if he possibly could. He might Larsson just as much I dunno but I know for a fact he loves his Dougie and I'm sure Cherry does too  :P

#126 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I mean McGuire this year when NBC has the Bruins games. I dunno if you've seen him then, but I think he'd propose to Dougie if he possibly could. He might Larsson just as much I dunno but I know for a fact he loves his Dougie and I'm sure Cherry does too :P

McGuire is like Ron Jaworski, who never met a QB prospect he didn't like.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#127 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

McGuire is like Ron Jaworski, who never met a QB prospect he didn't like.

except the Robert Nilsson pick in 03 over Parise. Still doesn't let that go 

#128 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

except the Robert Nilsson pick in 03 over Parise. Still doesn't let that go 

The only other pick I remember him blasting was Carey Price.

Posted Image

#129 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,682 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Worth bumping because Larsson had a 'really' good game, probably our only bright spot last night.  Probably not-so-coincidentally when he didn't have to worry about the guillotine falling on his head with Volch sitting another week and Sal hurt.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#130 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

Worth bumping because Larsson had a 'really' good game, probably our only bright spot last night.  Probably not-so-coincidentally when he didn't have to worry about the guillotine falling on his head with Volch sitting another week and Sal hurt.

I'd like to see him on the PP. God knows the rotation of Elias, Henrique and Sullivan isn't working there

#131 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'd like to see him on the PP. God knows the rotation of Elias, Henrique and Sullivan isn't working there

they tried this last year to disastrous results, but if they lose again, i would give it a shot to see what's there and see if it allows for zidlicky to be let go. i also want josefson playing every game the rest of the season.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#132 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,682 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

they tried this last year to disastrous results, but if they lose again, i would give it a shot to see what's there and see if it allows for zidlicky to be let go. i also want josefson playing every game the rest of the season.

Larsson wasn't disasterous on the PP, not like the aformentioned guys above have been.  He just got overwhelmed being played into the ground and exposed.  But it's time to take the Huggies off.  Or if you're not going to do that, play Zajac at the point he'd at least be more competent than anyone else we've had there post-Kovy.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#133 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

They had him on the PP a few games back. Can't remember which game, might have been buffalo. He's been in and out so many times its hard to keep track. But I thought he looked pretty good. He's a great passer and always seemed to make a crisp tape to tape pass to the player on the side boards. He gets in trouble when he tries to make slick Passes across the blue line to kovy. I remember alot of them getting picked off. But I really think he will be a solid PP QB in the coming years. His vision, passing ability, and poise are way to good for him not to be imo

#134 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

larsson's biggest issue on the PP is that it takes him eons to get his shot off.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#135 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,897 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

Larsson was way worse than Sullivan or Zidlicky could ever hope to be.  If they want to try him there, fine, but his shot doesn't appear to have improved at all - seems like he is afraid to shoot, if anything.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#136 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

What? I recall three shots from last night that were on the net and one resulted in a great scoring opportunity. 

I'm usually very hard on him, but he had a great game.

#137 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

What? I recall three shots from last night that were on the net and one resulted in a great scoring opportunity. 

I didn't watch the game, I heard it on the radio, but I was thinking he was having a decent game. Can anyone tell me what the 2 on 1 he broke up looked like? I think it was early in the game. He seems to be good at doing that and that's a good sign to me.

#138 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

His shot and his ability to pass the puck are the only thing he has going for himself right now.

#139 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

This. I think he is pretty good at getting his shot on net unlike some of our defensemen.

#140 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

I thought he had a great game last night. Got some shots, made some plays (I recall a particularly nice play on a 2-1 early), and made some hits.

He better play every game for the rest of this season.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users