29 replies to this topic

#21 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

are you serious??????????????????? would cost us 2 good prospect and likely a 1 round pick... and i dont think that with jagr we would win more right now...

But Derek Roy was cheap and we should get him

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

I see the return for Jagr, Jokinen (not to compare Jussi with Jagr) and my imminent thought process is..."We didn't have THOSE assets? There was nothing given in return."

There is no reason that we couldn't have landed one of those two.

I don't know, I don't think the Devils are really in the position to give up second-rounders for rentals.  We may not like the statement made by Lou, but I think what he said by getting Sullivan for a seventh was "I brought in a guy who may help who basically cost me nothing in a 'what-the-hell' kind of way, but I'm not mortaging anything of major value for this team, because based off what I've seen, it's not going to happen this season, so why blow any assets to try?"  He won't say it, but I think he's already thinking 2013-14.  Doesn't mean he won't be happy if the Devils make the playoffs this season...I just think he wasn't going to invest too heavily in improving the 2013 Devils when he saw what we've seen. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 April 2013 - 11:57 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Agree... It's becoming more and more apparent with each passing game that 85% of our roster would just about break any other team's 3rd line, probably 4th...

#24 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

I don't know, I don't think the Devils are really in the position to give up second-rounders for rentals.  We may not like the statement made by Lou, but I think what he said by getting Sullivan for a seventh was "I brought in a guy who may help who basically cost me nothing in a 'what-the-hell' kind of way, but I'm not mortaging anything of major value for this team, because based off what I've seen, it's not going to happen this season, so why blow any assets to try?"  He won't say it, but I think he's already thinking 2013-14.  Doesn't mean he won't be happy if the Devils make the playoffs this season...I just think he wasn't going to invest too heavily in improving the 2013 Devils when he saw what we've seen. 

A 2nd rounder wouldn't have really mortgaged the future of the team. I'm not asking to give up what Minny did to give Pominville here. If Jagr was in our lineup I have no doubt in my mind we'd be in 7th or 8th right now. Also we are a game behind the Islanders. This team can still make the playoffs. Lou has no excuse to not improve this team IMO.

Edited by TheMazz, 08 April 2013 - 12:11 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#25 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Lou probably looked into Jokinen, but when he heard that Jokinen wanted #36 he was like no way.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#26 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

I think JVB would have a bone to pick with Lou if he had that sort of mentality (re: already thinking about next season).

Even if they get swept in the first round, that's an additional two sellouts that pad JVB's pocket.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#27 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

You are so right 100000000% right this is the mindset

#28 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

I'm telling you, he's been thinking 13-14 all year. He knew prices would be high at the deadline like always, but with the cap coming down and buyouts coming, he thinks to himself, why waste picks and talent now when I could get a top 6 forward in the offseason without trading assets. I just have this gut feeling that none of the guys coming off a buyout are going to go balls to the wall for a huge contract again. I have a sense that they will sign for reasonable $$ and it'll be a little UFA coup for us.

I have 0 complaints about what Lou has done since the season started. He made A blunder in signing Sal. I disagreed with that and I think I was right, but not the worst thing that could have happened. He'll probably buy out Volch(fingers crossed) and then we're going to have some serious cap space.

Edited by ATLL765, 08 April 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#29 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I'm telling you, he's been thinking 13-14 all year. He knew prices would be high at the deadline like always, but with the cap coming down and buyouts coming, he thinks to himself, why waste picks and talent now when I could get a top 6 forward in the offseason without trading assets. I just have this gut feeling that none of the guys coming off a buyout are going to go balls to the wall for a huge contract again. I have a sense that they will sign for reasonable $$ and it'll be a little UFA coup for us.

I love the optimism, I really do. I'm more of a pessimist at the moment though, so it balances it all out.

I honestly fear us getting slower or pulling a high-risk signing for a less than favorable contract.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#30 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

I love the optimism, I really do. I'm more of a pessimist at the moment though, so it balances it all out.

I honestly fear us getting slower or pulling a high-risk signing for a less than favorable contract.

That's how I felt this season would go. That Lou would see if we could run through an unprepared field, as we did in the first bunch of games, but once the league caught up to us, we fell behind.

I don't particularly care about age, so long as we don't sign an over 35 guy, but if we can grab a top 6 forward for less than $5M cap hit coming off a buy out, I'd take it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users