343 replies to this topic

#321 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

The only thing close to Parise was Semin, and even he was no guarantee, especially at $7 million.

But yeah, let's keep beating the hell out of the dead horse, the meat is not quite ready for the dog food plant yet.

This. 

"You don't just replace a Zach Parise." - Lou. Assuming all he had to do is sign Semin and it would go seamlessly is ridiculous. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#322 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

well it could be worse. We could be Calgary 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#323 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

This. 

"You don't just replace a Zach Parise." - Lou. Assuming all he had to do is sign Semin and it would go seamlessly is ridiculous. 

Seriously, I'm depressed as anyone that we're on the verge of not making it, but enough of the Parise BS. Holy god.

Are the Sabres sh!tting bricks over Pominville? Nope, and their best scorer is now Vanek.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#324 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Devils are 1-9-2 against Boston in their last 12 games with that one win coming in the last game of the season where Boston rested all of their stars...good lord. :ph34r:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#325 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

What a terrible way to start the day. Just...sad.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#326 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,488 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

Meh, it's just a bad season. It happens. Nothing's going right, and changes will have to be made. People throwing fits about it are being ridiculous. Have some perspective. All teams have bad years. Up until now, ours didn't do it often.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#327 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

this team is simply finding ways to lose, there's no way around.

If the team scores 4... the goalies will let in 5+. If the goalie manage to let it only one goal the team won't score at all. It's been like that all season.

www.SterioDesign.com

#328 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

the sad thing about last night is.. they had such a bad first period there was no coming back from it, it was close i thought they were going to come back a few times the ship was just sunk too deep... if they didnt look like such crap in that 1st then theres no doubt we should have won that one.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#329 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

luckily boston has trouble playing with a lead, that first 10 mins of the first was ug-ly.

the PP is beyond horrible and the bruins are a very good PK team (not a good combo). they were super agressive and smelled blood on the kill

cant kill petey the effort is still there, although having clarkson on the ice 4 v 4 is ridiculous. that = 4 v 3

really want a butterfly goalie who covers the ice with a pad, not a skate blade

#330 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

Meh, it's just a bad season. It happens. Nothing's going right, and changes will have to be made. People throwing fits about it are being ridiculous. Have some perspective. All teams have bad years. Up until now, ours didn't do it often.

Yep...nothing lasts forever, and as we saw with 2010-11 and 2011-12, one bad season doesn't necessarily mean an extended bad run.  But clearly the Devils are heading into a period of uncertainty...the end of the road is coming for the old guard.  To think that we had a goalie who held down the number #1 spot from 1994 to 2013...and stayed healthy for most of that time...incredible.  But all one has to do is look in the teams in the Devils' division in that '94-'13 time frame...almost all of them had extended downturns.  The Flyers, like the Devils, made the playoffs in almost every season from '94-'13, but never won the Cup. 

Some fans simply can't grasp that prosperity for their hockey team isn't a bottomless well.  Eventually we'll have to deal with irrelevance as well...such is the cycle.  But at least it's been decades since we had to deal with season after season of that, and most of the fans doing most of the bitching aren't even old enough to remember the '82-'87 Devils, so it's not like they even know what that's like. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#331 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

Yep...nothing lasts forever, and as we saw with 2010-11 and 2011-12, one bad season doesn't necessarily mean an extended bad run.  But clearly the Devils are heading into a period of uncertainty...the end of the road is coming for the old guard.  To think that we had a goalie who held down the number #1 spot from 1994 to 2013...and stayed healthy for most of that time...incredible.  But all one has to do is look in the teams in the Devils' division in that '94-'13 time frame...almost all of them had extended downturns.  The Flyers, like the Devils, made the playoffs in almost every season from '94-'13, but never won the Cup. 

Some fans simply can't grasp that prosperity for their hockey team isn't a bottomless well.  Eventually we'll have to deal with irrelevance as well...such is the cycle.  But at least it's been decades since we had to deal with season after season of that, and most of the fans doing most of the bitching aren't even old enough to remember the '82-'87 Devils, so it's not like they even know what that's like. 

Two things:

1) case and point for the bold faced selection are the Detroit Red Wings. Yes, they currently occupy the 8th and final spot out West, but there are a handful of teams in striking distance, including Dallas who cannot figure out if their season is over yet or not even after trading Jagr and Roy.

2) I agree we're in for some troubling times and also agree it wont be as bad as when the franchise first arrived in NJ. It'll be a season or two of scraping for the 8th spot until we can find our identity beyond the old guard.

#332 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm more bummed with the prospect that there may be only 8 more Devils games on TV. I guess I'll have to go outside.
It's the whiskey talking.

#333 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Agree with DR33 and CR1976

Devils have been so good during my time as a fan that it almost doesn't matter to me if they have a couple of bad years.  That's why I've been more positive than 95% of the board.  They give you an honest effort pretty much every night, seem to be well prepared and never give up.  Look at the second half of 10-11 and even during this losing streak.  They could easily have folded in the tent but they scrap their asses off.  Would you like to score more goals? No kidding. But what do you think happens when you lose Parise and Kovalchuk, Zubrus, Henrique and Poni all miss significant time? Anyway, I truly believe in this team, the coaching staff and the management and you should too. Yeah, things aren't looking good this year and maybe the future does seem kind of hazy but there is a culture of excellence that cannot be lost easily. I'd rather lose with the Devils than win with anyone else

#334 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

Two things:

1) case and point for the bold faced selection are the Detroit Red Wings. Yes, they currently occupy the 8th and final spot out West, but there are a handful of teams in striking distance, including Dallas who cannot figure out if their season is over yet or not even after trading Jagr and Roy.

2) I agree we're in for some troubling times and also agree it wont be as bad as when the franchise first arrived in NJ. It'll be a season or two of scraping for the 8th spot until we can find our identity beyond the old guard.

I honestly don't know what the future brings, good or bad.  There's just so many questions, starting with how much longer does Lou want to be the GM?  I don't think the Devils will miss the playoffs for five straight seasons either, but it's not like anyone ever sees these things coming, especially when the team has been competitive for so long.  Obviously a lot of it will come down to drafting and the moves that have yet to be made...clearly, there were many times in the last 20 or so years we knew that, at the very least, for the next three or four years, the Devils were going to be an upper-echelon team that would make the playoffs, and possibly contend for a Cup.  Now I have no idea what this team will be in the next three or four years.  I'm not saying the future is bleak...more just cloudy.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 April 2013 - 08:17 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#335 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

I honestly don't know what the future brings, good or bad.  There's just so many questions, starting with how much longer does Lou want to be the GM?  I don't think the Devils will miss the playoffs for five straight seasons either, but it's not like anyone ever sees these things coming, especially when the team has been competitive for so long.  Obviously a lot of it will come down to drafting and the moves that have yet to be made...clearly, there were many times in the last 20 or so years we knew that, at the very least, for the next three or four years, the Devils were going to be an upper-echelon team that would make the playoffs, and possibly contend for a Cup.  Now I have no idea what this team will be in the next three or four years.  I'm not saying the future is bleak...more just cloudy.   

Again, agreed. I still do not believe we'll ever fall back to the, for lack of a better word, "expansion" years when we first arrived in Jersey.

I'm extremely curious to see what moves we will make this summer, and I have to imagine us using one if not both of our buyouts. That'd be an insane amount of cap space we'll have when the good majority of the league will not.

The problem then becomes who will hit the market.

That being said, if somehow a bona fide  #1 winger his the market along with a notable center, and we do not make any attempt to sign them, then I'll start to fear the worst, because this piecemealing from other teams bottom 6 castoffs crap needs to end.

#336 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:34 AM

I'd rather lose with the Devils than win with anyone else

That's a great way to look at it. Bravo.

:clap2:

#337 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

The worst part is the team outside the net is fine - not great, but certainly good enough to make the playoffs.  Lou made a bunch of mistakes because the team won last year, but none of them catastrophic.  It's a shortened season, the Devils haven't gotten any bounces, and they're going to miss the playoffs as a result.  Maybe it's hockey karma for all the luck they got in the 95 playoffs.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#338 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

Again, agreed. I still do not believe we'll ever fall back to the, for lack of a better word, "expansion" years when we first arrived in Jersey.

I'm extremely curious to see what moves we will make this summer, and I have to imagine us using one if not both of our buyouts. That'd be an insane amount of cap space we'll have when the good majority of the league will not.

The problem then becomes who will hit the market.

That being said, if somehow a bona fide  #1 winger his the market along with a notable center, and we do not make any attempt to sign them, then I'll start to fear the worst, because this piecemealing from other teams bottom 6 castoffs crap needs to end.

There are some pretty decent plays on the market, considering they don't resign. Raymond I hope we take a look at. Karlsson obviously won't be let on the market, he'll be resigned long term I'd think

http://m.nbcsports.c...t-tomorrow’

To make it they have us needing these to get in:

Sports Club Stats’ numbers indicate that the Devils would have to put the following type of run together to have better than a coin flip’s chance of making the 2013 playoffs:*

6-2-0 finish: 56.5 percent chance.
5-0-3 finish: 75.1 percent chance
6-1-1 finish: 80.3 percent chance

Edited by CarterforPresident, 11 April 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#339 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

There are some pretty decent plays on the market, considering they don't resign. Raymond I hope we take a look at. Karlsson obviously won't be let on the market, he'll be resigned long term I'd think

The only thing about Raymond that would concern me is his spinal compression from the Finals 2 years ago.

#340 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Antropov and Horton are up if their not resigned either they would be great additions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users