339 replies to this topic

#141 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

You have a team of all kids, and you never get out of the abyss.  Just ask the Oilers.  They keep trying to build around kids, and they don't get it either.  Youth is only good if you have vets around to help them grow and set an example.  Unless you get lucky enough to draft Crosby and Malkin in back-to-back years, but not every draft year can have someone like 'that' who's attainable.

It's possible to incorporate youth while still having a vet presence.  The 2000 Devils had four rookies in the starting lineup, but they still had a good group of vets around them.  They need to have some more youth in this lineup, but it's not the be-all end-all it's made out to be by you and others.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 April 2013 - 03:49 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#142 Default

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have to agree, bite the bullet and rebuild, no more retooling.

#143 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

is there a link to patty's interview i didnt see it; seems disconcerting.

Posted Image

#144 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

How does it help?? It starts the rebuuilding process, this team is awful right now,  ( 6-20 in the last 26???) it could not be any worse!!!!

Lets the Kids learn on the fly, yeah they will; make mistakes, but they will gain a ton of expeience that will help in years to come, and if Tedenby does not cut it next year then he done... Oh well...

Just throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff and hoping they figure it out is not management. It's useless. More than likely, you destroy a bunch of careers with no veterans to lead. The Islanders have done this for a decade, and this year, they MIGHT make the playoffs. The Oilers try it and they are near last every season.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#145 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'm less concerned about the UFAs then I am the players we have signed, 11Mil committed to Talinder, Vol & Sal???  thats awful, what was LL thinking??  He gone a bit crazy with some of these contracts!! 

At least Bermier, Carter & Gionta have 1 more year on the cheap!!

Hopefully LL buys out Sal & Vol, can trade talinder and DOESNOT resign any of the older players, Elias, Zubrus, Sullivan, Barch, Zid or Poni, Tine for Lou to get this team younger!!

Resign, calrky, Harold & Dag & Play Josephson, Tedenby, Henrique, Loktionov, Boucher, Mattuea & Merrill, Pesonen, etc...

lol what a horrendous post.

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#146 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Just throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff and hoping they figure it out is not management. It's useless. More than likely, you destroy a bunch of careers with no veterans to lead. The Islanders have done this for a decade, and this year, they MIGHT make the playoffs. The Oilers try it and they are near last every season.

im half joking here... but the team we're playing have been "throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff" with a bunch of kids they indeed "figured it out" somehow... i still don't get it really but it indeed happened haha

www.SterioDesign.com

#147 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

im half joking here... but the team we're playing have been "throwing a bunch of kids off a cliff" with a bunch of kids they indeed "figured it out" somehow... i still don't get it really but it indeed happened haha

True, but I watched a bunch of those kids win a championship a couple years back in hockey's second best league.  That team is very under rated and very well coached.

#148 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Bottom line is when your team fails to make the playoffs after making the SCF TWICE under the same GM, when your players publicly admit they aren't thrilled with the way the GM handles free agents, something is seriously wrong. I just don't understand why the owner of this franchise refuses to do or say anything about it.

Edited by Marv4Life, 12 April 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#149 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Bottom line is when your team fails to make the playoffs after making the SCF TWICE under the same GM, when your players publicly admit they aren't thrilled with the way the GM handles free agents, something is seriously wrong. I just don't understand why the owner of this franchise refuses to do or say anything about it.

how many other teams even have the opportunity to miss the playoffs after teh SCF finals? You really want Vanderbeek running the team instead of one of if not the best GMs in the sport? 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#150 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

how many other teams even have the opportunity to miss the playoffs after teh SCF finals? You really want Vanderbeek running the team instead of one of if not the best GMs in the sport? 

JVB was the prime force behind the Kovy signing. Lou would have never done that.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#151 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Take out elias is dumb sorry and zubrus is a for checking force. Those two stay. You have a young team no veterans is dumb look at Edmonton they have all that offense and no veteran like elias. You need that presence amongst your young dudes. Elias and zubs stay. Rest don't matter

#152 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Why isn't John MacLean then?

ATLL - I'm not sure what you thought I was writing.  I used the word loyal once.  I suppose you just pointed out how I'm not really "loyal" more a fan of consistency.  I'd find it consistent of Lou to not negotiate and I'd accept that.  Many people have told me recently that I am bizarrely confident though.  Maybe you can tell me that I am not actually confident rather just complacent though  :uni:

Everyone says only Marty got a contract prior to becoming a free agent - but so has Stevens, White, Madden... :noclue:  so I guess I woudl wonder what they did to get contracts during the season.  :noclue:  I dont know -- I just know it doesn't and wouldn't bother me. I have better things to do that worry about my own monetary value.  I dont think I'd want to name my own years to start off anyhow.  Look at what a position Marty is in.  I dont knwo why he'd want to keep on playing if it was sub-par

I dont know -= who cares?

It wasn't anything to do with. Just how I feel the team and it's players shouldn't be loyal to each other because I feel that loyalty is a detriment to the greater good.

#153 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

It wasn't anything to do with. Just how I feel the team and it's players shouldn't be loyal to each other because I feel that loyalty is a detriment to the greater good.

Loyalty is where the passion comes from.  Talent alone doesn't get you to where need to go.  Take life in war for the best example.  If you don't give a sh!t about the guy next to you eventually you both die.  Dysfunction leads to calamity.  The Devils are good at covering up dysfunction.  Check that, Lou is good at covering up dysfunction. (no twitter)  Before this season started there were signs that Elias wasn't thrilled with everything in Devilland. It's not going to be a huge shocker if he leaves.

#154 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:41 PM

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#155 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Loyalty is where the passion comes from.  Talent alone doesn't get you to where need to go.  Take life in war for the best example.  If you don't give a sh!t about the guy next to you eventually you both die.  Dysfunction leads to calamity.  The Devils are good at covering up dysfunction.  Check that, Lou is good at covering up dysfunction. (no twitter)  Before this season started there were signs that Elias wasn't thrilled with everything in Devilland. It's not going to be a huge shocker if he leaves.

if Elias leave we'll go through the same thing... Lou will be a major reason that we lost him, yet folks here will deny it and bash the people pointing it out as if Lou sh!ts gold.

www.SterioDesign.com

#156 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

if Elias leave we'll go through the same thing... Lou will be a major reason that we lost him, yet folks here will deny it and bash the people pointing it out as if Lou sh!ts gold.

If Elias wants to be a devil, he will be. Lou wants players that want to be here. If Elias decides to leave basically out of spite, that's on him.

Lou isn't the kind of GM to pander to players. Good thing, too, because Elias and Clarkson's values were much higher a few months ago.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 13 April 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#157 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Lou got him to stay once even when he was in much higher demand than he will be this summer. If he leaves, it's because the Devils don't give him as much as another team, and if that's the case, we probably don't need that money on the books 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#158 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

I don't understand why everyone is getting so worked up about this.  This is an organizational philosophy and always has been.  Despite losing some quality names, we always seem to be able to restock and WIN.  I don't give a damn about all the big name the Rags sign.  How many times have they won?  At least with the Devils, we as fans, can expect a quality team on the ice year after year. 

#159 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

look - elias is my favorite devil ever but to think that he stayed on his last contract out of loyalty is missing the point. He got offered 7/42 from NJ. He got offered 6/42 from the Rangers. The Devils gave him the NMC that the Rangers wouldn't. He stayed.

when his career is over in 3-4 years, he'll go back to Czech. This is not someone who will be in the US for years after retirement. i think that it means something to be in NJ for his entire career and that's absolutely his preference. i don't expect him to get more than a 2 year offer from other teams but he most certainly will get those.

in the end, i think lou gives him 3/15 and he stays.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#160 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

If Elias wants to be a devil, he will be. Lou wants players that want to be here. If Elias decides to leave basically out of spite, that's on him.

Lou isn't the kind of GM to pander to players. Good thing, too, because Elias and Clarkson's values were much higher a few months ago.

lol come on. "Lou wants players that want to be here" are you gonna sing kumbaya next? 

it's a business and you can't let go your assets just cause "oh well he didnt want to be here" thats absolutely ridiculous. You have to make them want to stay and the way he's handling things is certainly not the way to do it. I know Lou is that way but it's a dumb way to deal with stuff. 

Edited by SterioDesign, 13 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users