47 replies to this topic

#21 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

If we are building for the future, Marty needs to make it official:  2013-14 Season is his last year.   I would hate to see him tarnish his records by staying beyond his better years.  

That being said, unless there is a real stud in the Draft get Bernier. Have him play 60% of the season with Marty in the 40% range.

Moose is done.  There is no one else that you can build with on the UFA/RFA list.

And what exactly would you give up for Bernier?

#22 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Bernier is a restricted free agent after this season. I don't know if he can hack a starter position though. If we brought Bernier on then Moose would have to be bought out. I also don't know if Marty would be cool playing 40% of games.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

I would not be surprised if he tried playing for another season......at all.  Especially if he doesn't hit 700 wins next season

If he plays at the level he's playing at now next year that will be his last.  He is not going to keep sucking.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

I would not be surprised if he tried playing for another season......at all. Especially if he doesn't hit 700 wins next season

I would be upset if he did and enraged if the Devils let him do it at the expense of the team. The thought of it makes me cringe. He is close to being done.

Edited by coldply123, 11 April 2013 - 03:20 PM.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#25 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

I would be upset if he did and enraged if the Devils let him do it at the expense of the team. The thought of it makes me cringe. He is close to being done.

i just can't see that happening. as has been said, he's already been close to retirement twice. last year's playoff run is what likely brought him back this year. if not for the lockout this year, this would've been a one year deal and likely the end. while he's got pride, i think he would take 40 games next year and acknowledge it's a fairwell tour.

he can see what rivera is getting in MLB and he could get similar - well certainly in MTL. nowhere else, of course but still. i think he'd appreciate that way to go out.

what would make me more upset is if lou keeps hedberg as the backup. that is what cannot happen.

edit: and as for the 700 wins, it's just a round number. he is so far out ahead of everyone one else that it doesn't matter. i don't think there is anyone currently playing in the league that will challenge his longevity totals (wins, losses, shutouts, minutes, games started, etc).

Edited by sundstrom, 11 April 2013 - 03:26 PM.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#26 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I really hope the Devils don't go after Luongo.  Lou seems exactly the kind of old school guy that would do something like that too.

I'd consider trading for Neuvirth 

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#27 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Marty has said he was considering retiring last season. He's also said he doesn't want to hang on too long. I think he is well aware that his time is coming to an end. Whether he decides to publicly announce that next season or not is up to him, but unless he is adamant about playing in 2014-15, I'd say he's done after next season.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#28 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

I am not so sure the market will be that big for him.   The Kings most likely will be in salary cap cutting mode with roster reductions.  LA would probably be looking more at draft picks for him.   There will be a glut of Goalies on the market.  

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#29 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

I am not so sure the market will be that big for him.   The Kings most likely will be in salary cap cutting mode with roster reductions.  LA would probably be looking more at draft picks for him.   There will be a glut of Goalies on the market.  

He's RFA. I think that means you don't have to give up picks for him.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#30 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

He's RFA. I think that means you don't have to give up picks for him.

That means we can sign him to an offer sheet if we want.  Kings can match it or let him walk.  I'm surprised that didn't try unloading him at the deadline.  The Kings can get draft picks depending on the size of contract we give him.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#31 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Luongo we can't Lou won't hand over what Vancouver wants in return which is why Toronto still hasn't gotten him. They want a lot and that's a hefty contract

#32 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

I would like to see Halak here.

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#33 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

Just so tired of seeing tip goals go in on us and not in on goaltenders playing us.

THIS!!! its so easy to cover the ice these days, why in the world wouldnt you want that

and the longer the pads the better, the hieght is also huge in covering the corner with the clavical & shoulder pads when you're butterflied.

if we had a real butterfly goalie we beat boston weds!

#34 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

THIS!!! its so easy to cover the ice these days, why in the world wouldnt you want that
and the longer the pads the better, the hieght is also huge in covering the corner with the clavical & shoulder pads when you're butterflied.

if we had a real butterfly goalie we beat boston weds!

Nevermind butterfly goalies, shooters will adjust, just not ours, apparently. How about both of our goalies protect their 5 holes with the stick on the ice. Such a simple concept which seems to be eluding both of them lately.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#35 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Bernier is worth a shot as long as the price to get him isn't too steep.  I think Smith will be looking for a big $ long term deal in FA this offseason, and who knows about Luongo.  The VAN GM is crazy if he thinks he will get anyone to take on that contract without giving up a bag of pucks in return.  If they buy Luongo out, it might not be a bad stop gap for 2-3 years while the young kids like Wedgewood get a chance to develop.

Posted Image

#36 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

If he plays at the level he's playing at now next year that will be his last.  He is not going to keep sucking.

Time will tell...

Maybe another team will allow him to do it?

i just can't see that happening. as has been said, he's already been close to retirement twice. last year's playoff run is what likely brought him back this year. if not for the lockout this year, this would've been a one year deal and likely the end. while he's got pride, i think he would take 40 games next year and acknowledge it's a fairwell tour.

he can see what rivera is getting in MLB and he could get similar - well certainly in MTL. nowhere else, of course but still. i think he'd appreciate that way to go out.

what would make me more upset is if lou keeps hedberg as the backup. that is what cannot happen.

edit: and as for the 700 wins, it's just a round number. he is so far out ahead of everyone one else that it doesn't matter. i don't think there is anyone currently playing in the league that will challenge his longevity totals (wins, losses, shutouts, minutes, games started, etc).

700 wins just sounds so much better than 691....

Bernier is worth a shot as long as the price to get him isn't too steep.  I think Smith will be looking for a big $ long term deal in FA this offseason, and who knows about Luongo.  The VAN GM is crazy if he thinks he will get anyone to take on that contract without giving up a bag of pucks in return.  If they buy Luongo out, it might not be a bad stop gap for 2-3 years while the young kids like Wedgewood get a chance to develop.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bernier become our starter....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#37 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

I believe LAs asking price at the deadline was along the lines of a first, a prospect and another pick/prospect. Smith asking something upwards of 6 million on a multi-year deal. I wouldn't want him without also getting Tippett and Sean Burke...

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#38 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

pretty sad to see brodeurs time coming to an end here, ive been watching this guy since i was about 5 years old and hes been like a hero to me since, but all good things come to an end i guess, we all know we have atleast one more season of marty although as much as i love him i do not want to see this team struggle with sh!t goal tending. .. i wouldnt mind having miller i dont think :)
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#39 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

I believe LAs asking price at the deadline was along the lines of a first, a prospect and another pick/prospect. Smith asking something upwards of 6 million on a multi-year deal. I wouldn't want him without also getting Tippett and Sean Burke...

If that's what LA wants, then they can keep him.  Smith is going to be too expensive, so I don't think he's an option.  I can see Luongo being an option if he is bought out as part of VAN's amnesty this summer.   Miller would be nice, but BUF likes to rape teams in deals and I doubt we could get him with the prospects/picks we have or would be willing to offer (assuming we keep this years pick and give up next years as part of the Kovy penalty).   All in all, we don't have the greatest options here.

Posted Image

#40 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

just read something about hedberg possibly being bought out of his contract for next season, so maybe it will be kinkaid as martys back up.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users