185 replies to this topic

#161 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

1/23 for the power play in the month so far.... why is matt shaw still employed here?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#162 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

1/23 for the power play in the month so far.... why is matt shaw still employed here?

This team's power play has been subpar for several seasons. The players are pretty attached to their bad habits of overpassing and not taking shots. Same thing goes for Stevens. Guys like Sal and Volch are pretty set in their habits. It's hard to unbreak those things.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#163 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

We also are just very stagnant right now on the PP.. 4 guys can block the passing and shooting lanes of 5 players if they know exactly where the 5 are on the ice.. The only time someone moves is when they have the puck, but what are they doing when they move? Looking for a pass, not a shot, and the defenders know exactly where to block to prevent that pass from happening
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#164 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

The fact this team has not won without Kovy suggests that there is a problem with the rest of the roster not being capable, regardless of puck luck and out-shooting the opposition.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#165 BigZ

BigZ

Albany Devil

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

I think Debour even knows be should be fired.

I miss Parise. 

#166 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

[quote name="Colin226" post="1186211" timestamp="1365819562"]
We also are just very stagnant right now on the PP.. 4 guys can block the passing and shooting lanes of 5 players if they know exactly where the 5 are on the ice.. The only time someone moves is when they have the puck, but what are they doing when they move? Looking for a pass, not a shot, and the defenders know exactly where to block to prevent that pass from happening[/quote

Bingo about the PP.

As for our 33 shots, none really seemed to cause Anderson any concern. I think he barely broke a sweat today.

#167 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

Here we go with dumb bs again from big z not even worth reading his posts. Like Єklund (2.3% accurate). Not accurate or credible

Edited by CarterforPresident, 12 April 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#168 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Just as a fan I'd like to see a player visibly pissed off and not just depressed and saying they don't now wtf the problem is.

815631765.gif

#169 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

We also are just very stagnant right now on the PP.. 4 guys can block the passing and shooting lanes of 5 players if they know exactly where the 5 are on the ice.. The only time someone moves is when they have the puck, but what are they doing when they move? Looking for a pass, not a shot, and the defenders know exactly where to block to prevent that pass from happening

well there. That's absolutely true. Anyone saying our PP is good is seriously not looking at the game. i'm convinced.

as i was explaining in the chat the other night, one of the best advice i learned from coaches playing soccer (but it works at hockey too) is that when the puck is coming to you. You have to know what you're gonna do with it, so that way you put yourself in a position to handle it by anticipating. You'll have that extra step and body position and win seconds and can beat guys easily like that.

for example if youre on a the point with a guy square to you ready to block a shot from where you stand and you want to go around him on your good side for a shot. As the puck is coming to you, you take an angle and you start skating to the puck or let him go further and get it while skating away to go around it, it may sound silly but it makes SUCH a big difference.

what the guys are doing, they are standing... they get the puck.. settle it on their stick... then look around to what they could do with it. You obviously can't go around the guy now you don't have that extra step anymore. 

The dmen also ALWAYS wait that extra second holding to the puck and by the time they do something with the puck the opportunity is gone. And again eventhough it doesnt sound like a lot, anyone who played sports knows that when you see an opportunity/opening and call for the puck/ball wtv... if the guy wait even just a second or 2 it's often to late for that opportunity.

Edited by SterioDesign, 12 April 2013 - 09:53 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#170 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

Just as a fan I'd like to see a player visibly pissed off and not just depressed and saying they don't now wtf the problem is.

What else are they going to say?  It's got to be as demoralizing for them as it is to watch.  I've never seen such a prolonged stretch of outshooting the opponent over basically two straight weeks and having zip, zilch and nada to show for it.  I'm impressed they didn't crumble after allowing the two goals in the second period, although I did half-kiddingly say to my friend during the first period, this is going to be one of those games where we outshoot them 35-10 and lose 2-1.  I was close enough, outshot them 33-11, lose 2-0.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#171 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

It has nothing to do with "luck", a cop out that's like scratching the blackboard. Luck has nothing to do with being unable to get half way decent opportunities on 2 man advantages for more than a minute. A good team scores on 80 percent of those.

What all if the stat geeks have some bizarre inability to admit is that the team desperately misses Kocalchuk. To anyone with common sense they notice the Devils have won one game since he got hurt. Salvador or Stephen Gionta is not what ails the team.

Actually I think a lot of people recognize Kovy going down was crippling.  People just don't want to admit losing Zach started this slide downhill.

And yes the power play's a joke and I've been saying it since the beginning of the season when people were going ga-ga over shot totals (which were nonexistent anyway, they're averaging basically half a shot more per sixty-minute game than last year) and a percentage over-inflated by the 5-on-3 success with Kovy early.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#172 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Lol, another game where I cant even get mad at them. So frustrating.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#173 BigZ

BigZ

Albany Devil

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Here we go with dumb bs again from big z not even worth reading his posts. Like Єklund (2.3% accurate). Not accurate or credible

He basically said it in his interview man.
It's not even an opinion anymore.
He knows he's failing.
Starts with coaching.
The team can't be this bad.

I miss Parise. 

#174 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

He basically said it in his interview man.
It's not even an opinion anymore.
He knows he's failing.
Starts with coaching.
The team can't be this bad.

Yes, Babcock, Hitchcock, Queneville, Maclean, Tippet, Trotz, or any fvcking coach will make our forward group finish more...get off your high horse. The fact that Deboer has this team put 100% effort on the ice night in and night out speak volumes of how good of a coach he is. He doesn't have the finishing ability on offense right now and that's whats killing us. That falls on the players.

Edited by Zubie#8, 12 April 2013 - 10:26 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#175 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:26 PM

Dude your a blind bat think before you speak.

#176 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

Of course Pete took the blame himself, that's what a good coach does when the team is trying and not having any success.  This whole last thirty games wasn't luck, but the last two weeks have been one of the longest prolonged stretches of this kind of offensive futility I've ever seen.

#177 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

On special teams, this is a team that has not adapted without Kovy (and it's a power play that never plays without Kovy). And even for such an average power play team as is, you see how much the threat of Kovy helps them. The 5 on 3s have been dreadful, and the teams have taken everything away down low and dared the point men to shoot bombs. Do the Devils have anyone with a great shot besides Kovy? 

As for the rest of this....48 games is just not enough time to get a read on the state of the team in my opinion. Lou has one heck of an off-season in front of him. But as bad as things feel right now, the team is still playing very well and doing it without one of the best players in the league. I'd be seriously worried if this was the result with Kovalchuk in the lineup. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#178 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Firing Pete, would be worse than firing Julien and having Lou behind the bench! PDB is a coach we need here for a long term he is not a Johnny Mac. We would have never made it to the finals last year without him. Losing Robinson hurt. Don't judge Pete he is not our problem!

#179 BigZ

BigZ

Albany Devil

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

Ok fine keep Debour but if this team is able to magically make the acquisitions to fill the numerous holes it has next year and a healthy Kovalchuk and they still don't win games then he has to go.
I wanted him fired last year too.
The Devils went far into the playoffs because they pulled a fourth line out of their ass, lets not get it twisted.
Debour had that team blowing leads and losing because of bad third periods all year.

I miss Parise. 

#180 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:30 AM

whoa whoa whoa.. we are 1 for 23 on the PP this month?? are you fvcking kidding me??  how i did not realize this is unbelievable.  

That is unacceptable. You gotta fire shaw at least just to light a fire. PDB has gotta stay but somebody has gotta be the scapegoat. 

cmon boys, unacceptable. lets go Kovy, hurry back (safely back of course)

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users