119 replies to this topic

#21 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

If we won the lottery, I would probably just take whoever the scouting staffs likes the most, regardless of position. If that's Seth Jones, then I'm okay with that. I don't think you want to be short sighted when picking #1. 

That said, if we did have the top pick, I wouldn't be adverse to trading down a few spots either. It depends on the return though. In 2002, the return was the option to swap positions in the first round the following year. We would obviously have no interest in that since there wouldn't be a pick to swap.

I also don't see us trading a #1 pick away when the draft is in our home building though. I am sure management is aware that they just had a great fan response this season in terms of turn out and ticket sales, and wouldn't want to lose that excitement following a heartbreaking turn for the worse this season. Then again, this team usually does what's best for the team and not the fans, so....

#22 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:13 AM

If we won the lottery, I would probably just take whoever the scouting staffs likes the most, regardless of position. If that's Seth Jones, then I'm okay with that. I don't think you want to be short sighted when picking #1. 

That said, if we did have the top pick, I wouldn't be adverse to trading down a few spots either. It depends on the return though. In 2002, the return was the option to swap positions in the first round the following year. We would obviously have no interest in that since there wouldn't be a pick to swap.

I also don't see us trading a #1 pick away when the draft is in our home building though. I am sure management is aware that they just had a great fan response this season in terms of turn out and ticket sales, and wouldn't want to lose that excitement following a heartbreaking turn for the worse this season. Then again, this team usually does what's best for the team and not the fans, so....

Maybe we can trick a team like that. Hey, we'll trade you #1 pick now if we swap our first picks next year? Totally would work, right?

#23 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

the sabres just jumped over us so at this moment we'd have the 8th pick or 1st... unless someone behind us wins the lottery.

www.SterioDesign.com

#24 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

Did we ever find out why Lou didn't forfeit our first round pick last year? Seemed like a no-brainer with having the second highest pick.

I think it had something to do (theoretically) with a first rounder in 2012 being worth more than one in 2014 even if it was a higher pick just becasue you have the asset longer. Not defending it, but I think that's what it was. And I heard the draft next year isn't good but I'm not exactly qualified to answer that 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#25 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

It's getting pretty evident, at least on the Eastern side of things, it's gonna take a pretty big effort to move down the standings.   These teams just will not even compete.   Of course the team that finally catches us has to be the one we have the tiebreakers on.

#26 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

I think it had something to do (theoretically) with a first rounder in 2012 being worth more than one in 2014 even if it was a higher pick just becasue you have the asset longer. Not defending it, but I think that's what it was. And I heard the draft next year isn't good but I'm not exactly qualified to answer that

it was stupid move...shouldnt have chanced it and what if we're a bottom ten or worse next year
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#27 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Buffalo winning today, that'll kick us to 9th, but pretty tenuous with two games in hand and games coming up against the Flyers and Panthers.   Nashville will tie us with a win today, but again, two games in hand.   That, and they probably won't win.

Edited by maxpower, 14 April 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#28 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Buffalo winning today, that'll kick us to 9th, but pretty tenuous with two games in hand and games coming up against the Flyers and Panthers.   Nashville will tie us with a win today, but again, two games in hand.   That, and they probably won't win.

BELIEVE IN FILIP FORSBERG 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#29 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

BELIEVE IN FILIP FORSBERG 

Bobby Butler's penalty shot stylings did them in.

#30 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

1. Florida - 32 Pts 7 GR
2. Colorado - 35 Pts 5 GR
3. Calgary - 36 Pts 6 GR
4. Carolina - 36 Pts 7 GR
5. Tampa Bay - 37 Pts 6 GR
6. Nashville - 38 Pts 4 GR
7. Philadelphia - 39 Pts 6 GR
8. Edmonton - 39 Pts 7 GR
9. New Jersey - 40 Pts 6 GR

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Philadelphia and Edmonton both have tiebreakers on NJ - I think the highest we could draft is 7th, barring a lottery win which is of course extremely unlikely.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

I swear, knowing this Devils team, they'll win out here and end up drafting a relatively insignificant player at like 15th overall.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#33 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm not really up to date on the specifics on how the lottery works.. How high could we theoretically draft if we win the lottery? (Assuming we end up on a "natural" 7th.)

Posted Image

#34 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I'm not really up to date on the specifics on how the lottery works.. How high could we theoretically draft if we win the lottery? (Assuming we end up on a "natural" 7th.)

Now if you win the Draft Lottery, instead of moving up four spots, you automatically jump to 1st.

Edited by Brandon, 16 April 2013 - 12:54 PM.

25smul5.png

#35 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Oh I see. That's new from this year? How do they do the lottery? I assume the worst team still has the best odds of drafting first.. Anyone know the specifics of the odds? I guess this is probably info available on some nhl website.. :o

Posted Image

#36 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

Oh I see. That's new from this year? How do they do the lottery? I assume the worst team still has the best odds of drafting first.. Anyone know the specifics of the odds? I guess this is probably info available on some nhl website.. :o

here's the breakdown

Team 1 –  25.0%
Team 2 — 18.8%
Team 3 — 14.2%
Team 4 — 10.7%
Team 5 — 8.1%
Team 6 — 6.2%
Team 7 — 4.7%
Team 8 — 3.6%
Team 9 — 2.7%
Team 10 — 2.1%
Team 11 — 1.5%
Team 12 — 1.1%
Team 13 — 0.8%
Team 14 — 0.5%

www.SterioDesign.com

#37 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

Aha. Thanks a lot. :D

Posted Image

#38 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

The Flyers win tonight bumped us to 8th.  Any Oilers points will send us to 7th.   But Minny just scored to make it 2-1.

Tampa is also heading to the SO, if they win, they go to 39 points.   So, who knows.

Edited by maxpower, 16 April 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#39 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

I swear, knowing this Devils team, they'll win out here and end up drafting a relatively insignificant player at like 15th overall.

Yeah, you know Matteau is pretty insignificant, since he's a 29th overall..... :doh1:

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#40 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

Yeah, you know Matteau is pretty insignificant, since he's a 29th overall..... :doh1:

In all fairness im not sure what to think of Matteau... I know he'll be a good role player for the team probably... In a way he couldnt get a spot on a stacked u18 team... But got a spot as an 18 years old on an NHL team with bad depth... He's projected to be a 3rd line winger and will likely always have to live with the fact we picked him when we should have forfeit the pick so if hes not doing enough, we'll hear about how a bad decision it was... All depending on what pick we'll have to give up next season

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users