189 replies to this topic

#21 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

I agree that it's a retool as we have a good roster, but just ran into tough injuries and luck. We do need to beef up on the offensive depth tho. But, you can't over analyze a lockout season where there's virtually no practice time. No need to blow up the roster at all.

#22 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Matteau may not be around here much longer. He got benched for taking a bad penalty and rode home on the fan bus, instead of the team one. Idiot

what the hell.. what was the penalty? this dumb ass really rode home on the wrong bus or is this a total joke? has got to be a joke.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#23 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

What scares me about the division next year is the addition of Washington and Columbus on top of the step forward the Islanders took this short season..  You already were dealing with a division with big spenders (NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) but now you also have to deal with a Columbus organization that's finally grown a brain, Ovie's out of his 2 year hangover in DC.  You can argue perhaps the Flyers are in worse shape than the Devils but they also try to spend themselves out plus own 2 giant "get out of jail free" buyout cards that they'll use on Bryz and maybe Briere to buy themselves cap room.

If I'm Lou and the Devils strike a good spot in the lottery I trade down and try to grab more picks.  Say trade a Top-10 #1 for a 2014 #1 and lower #1 in 2013.

#24 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

What scares me about the division next year is the addition of Washington and Columbus on top of the step forward the Islanders took this short season..  You already were dealing with a division with big spenders (NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) but now you also have to deal with a Columbus organization that's finally grown a brain, Ovie's out of his 2 year hangover in DC.  You can argue perhaps the Flyers are in worse shape than the Devils but they also try to spend themselves out plus own 2 giant "get out of jail free" buyout cards that they'll use on Bryz and maybe Briere to buy themselves cap room.

If I'm Lou and the Devils strike a good spot in the lottery I trade down and try to grab more picks.  Say trade a Top-10 #1 for a 2014 #1 and lower #1 in 2013.

love that idea, problem is is there a prospect on the list that anyone above us HAS TO HAVE that badly that they'd part with 2 1sts?

Even trying to add a current player on both the NJ/Albany roster I doubt we could get it done...

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#25 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

what the hell.. what was the penalty? this dumb ass really rode home on the wrong bus or is this a total joke? has got to be a joke.

Its true. He got benched and got mad.

http://www.rds.ca/ho...armada-1.612232

#26 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Big picture it's not a huge deal, they just better tell him not to come here for the week.    He shouldn't draw a game check for that

#27 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Eh Matteau's a kid, he didn't pull a Cormier and nearly kill someone.  I'm sure Lou will be forgiving of an 18 y/o losing his cool.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#28 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Matteau may not be around here much longer. He got benched for taking a bad penalty and rode home on the fan bus, instead of the team one. Idiot

He chose to ride home on a different bus, is this true?!? Are you kidding me?? What a pansy

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#29 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

Big picture it's not a huge deal, they just better tell him not to come here for the week.    He shouldn't draw a game check for that

I don't think he could come anyway if he walked off the team, until his former junior team's season ends.

Good grief, this guy better not bust if we're giving up a high pick next year just to have him in the organization now.

Eh Matteau's a kid, he didn't pull a Cormier and nearly kill someone.  I'm sure Lou will be forgiving of an 18 y/o losing his cool.

I'd almost rather have a moment of temporary insanity on ice than diva behavior off it.  And Matteau's fully capable of temporary insanity on the ice himself.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#30 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

He rode with his father..this much more interesting
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#31 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

I don't think he could come anyway if he walked off the team, until his former junior team's season ends.

Good grief, this guy better not bust if we're giving up a high pick next year just to have him in the organization now.

I'd almost rather have a moment of temporary insanity on ice than diva behavior off it.  And Matteau's fully capable of temporary insanity on the ice himself.

It could be over by Thursday

#32 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

He rode with his father..this much more interesting

his father is coaching the armada as an assistant coach... it a non issues

no big deal

#33 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

i don't want a kid who thinks he can quit cos he played a few nhl games. he thinks he's the sh!t.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#34 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

my biggest question is "who do we get to line with kovy?"  what player/type of player? which top 3 talent will leverage kovys sniper abilities and get the most out of him 5 v 5, and score a bunch of goals himself

#35 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,470 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Oh come on.  How old is he?  Where is his ego right now exactly?    You don't dump a kid for trying the role of Prima Donna on for size. 

The lesson is obvious and it's amusing.  I mean if he really WANTS to play in a beer league and feel like a god that's fine.  He has a fragile ego right now - it's to be expected. It needed bolstering on the fan bus because he didn't hold a position of superiority with his team mates.  We could go on with such amusing humilating excuses for his behavior.... it's not a shipping offense and who cares really?

anyhow.... it's funny and it's how a person learns why being sensitive isn't really productive.   Relax even.

EDIT

Ohh - I didn't finish reading - you all have it covered.  non issue.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 22 April 2013 - 08:07 AM.

I'm here for the party

#36 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

You guys are overreacting to the Matteau story. Most of the young stars in the game today have some funny and embarrassing news headlines in their past: Patrick Kane, especially Evander Kane, Richards, Carter, etc., the list goes on...

Not saying he's gonna be a Top-10 player, but how this translates to = "bust" is just amusing. Once again, glad you all aren't the Devils' GM...

#37 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm not saying we will get him, but I do think Lou will be poking around Buffalo's camp in the offseason for Thomas Vanek, the guy is supposedly going to be available in the offseason (along with Miller) and he's an elite goal scorer which is what this team needs, the problem with this team this year was the lack of top-line talent outside of Kovy, then when Kovy went down we had zero top line talent and, well, you can see how the team performed with that. I'm not saying throw the kitchen sink at Vanek, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility to send some sort of package involving Josefson and Urbom Buffalo's way for an asset that we desperately need, then let Boucher and the kid we draft this year battle it out for that last roster spot up front.
25smul5.png

#38 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm not saying we will get him, but I do think Lou will be poking around Buffalo's camp in the offseason for Thomas Vanek, the guy is supposedly going to be available in the offseason (along with Miller) and he's an elite goal scorer which is what this team needs, the problem with this team this year was the lack of top-line talent outside of Kovy, then when Kovy went down we had zero top line talent and, well, you can see how the team performed with that. I'm not saying throw the kitchen sink at Vanek, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility to send some sort of package involving Josefson and Urbom Buffalo's way for an asset that we desperately need, then let Boucher and the kid we draft this year battle it out for that last roster spot up front.

Not bad. And having Josefson play the last stretch here will help our cause. He's actually looked really good, AND FAST.

The only thing is Vanek will be worth more than that, especially with the PPG year he's had. I think there'll be similar level players available via UFA considering the cap drop situation that's gonna hit a lot of teams this offseason. I'm thinking we can land a few very good players for cheaper or free.

#39 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Josefson's trade value is pretty minimal at this point...he has yet to stick in the NHL and is injury-prone to boot.  He's got some strengths, but not enough. 

It actually would be cool to see a deal involving Vanek AND Miller (Miller has only two years left on his deal, so it's not crippling at all...he would be a more-than-solid stopgap goalie), but the Devils don't have the pieces for such a deal...the Sabres are going to want "ready now" players who could help them, and in a significant way.  It would've been nice if Josefson and/or Tedenby could've pulled a Bergfors and shown just enough that a team would be willing to take a shot at them making an immediate impact, but they didn't...oh well... 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#40 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I may be in the minority but I would package in Larsson for Vanek, I would do that in a heartbeat.

EDIT: eh I thought Vanek was more in his mid 20s so I dont know...

Edited by Zubie#8, 22 April 2013 - 11:24 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users