189 replies to this topic

#41 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

I may be in the minority but I would package in Larsson for Vanek, I would do that in a heartbeat.

EDIT: eh I thought Vanek was more in his mid 20s so I dont know...

too old... i'd do Larsson for Eberle for example in a heartbeat though. (or a similar kind of player)

www.SterioDesign.com

#42 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Merrill, Matteau, Volch, and Teddy for Vanek.

#43 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

I may be in the minority but I would package in Larsson for Vanek, I would do that in a heartbeat.

EDIT: eh I thought Vanek was more in his mid 20s so I dont know...

lunacy

too old... i'd do Larsson for Eberle for example in a heartbeat though. (or a similar kind of player)

not lunacy but that's a tough pill to swallow. let's see where they end up in the draft. if they are able to get seth jones by winning the lottery, i would consider dealing larsson. eberle is also signed for $6MM/year for a long time. that's a big contract this early in the game.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#44 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Be careful what you wish for. My Oilers friends haven't liked Eberle's game this year at all... One of my friends referred to his play this year recently as: "Every play seems to die with him." His cap hit is 600K less than Kovalchuk's and he's signed through 2019, I don't know if that's a risk Lou takes.

#45 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:42 PM

Merrill, Matteau, Volch, and Teddy for Vanek.

Typical fan proposal trade...the kind Yankee fans call into the WFAN with constantly.  "Duuuuuuuuhhh, I'm gonna list 5 or 6 playes we don't want for a very good play-a."   

Unknown, unknown, and two unwanted players for a guy who can help immediately.  Why wouldn't Buffalo want to jump all over that?

Start with Henrique (who won't be nearly enough, but at least he has some upside) and give them at least one or two more players who they'd actually want (players that can help them either right now or very soon) that aren't on bad contracts (like Volchenkov) and maybe the Sabres pick up the phone. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#46 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Larsson for a forward is lunacy.  You don't get franchise defensemen anywhere except at the draft.  The Devils haven't had a defensive prospect with the upside of Larsson in AGES (and he's already proven he can play).

In short - stop it.  We've had at least three Larsson threads this year and they were all as stupid as the last.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#47 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:00 PM

Larsson for a forward is lunacy.  You don't get franchise defensemen anywhere except at the draft.  The Devils haven't had a defensive prospect with the upside of Larsson in AGES (and he's already proven he can play).

In short - stop it.  We've had at least three Larsson threads this year and they were all as stupid as the last.

Yes! Agree!

#48 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Typical fan proposal trade...the kind Yankee fans call into the WFAN with constantly.  "Duuuuuuuuhhh, I'm gonna list 5 or 6 playes we don't want for a very good play-a."   

Unknown, unknown, and two unwanted players for a guy who can help immediately.  Why wouldn't Buffalo want to jump all over that?

Start with Henrique (who won't be nearly enough, but at least he has some upside) and give them at least one or two more players who they'd actually want (players that can help them either right now or very soon) that aren't on bad contracts (like Volchenkov) and maybe the Sabres pick up the phone. 

Kovalchuk trade is the blue print for any deal we make for Vanek.

#49 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

If we could make a trade for Vanek I'd absolutely do it. I'd love to see a first line with Kovalchuk Loktionov Vanek. It would give Loktionov 2 very good options to pass to and it would give that line a presence around the net with a scoring touch. The catch is that you get him for only 1 year after which he'd be an UFA.

Given all of this you're in a similar situation to when we traded to Kovalchuk (although I'm not aware of any real falling out as far as Buffalo attempting to re-sign him long term after this season as happened with Ilya in Atlanta). As such it is not impossible that the trade return for Vanek might not be as high as you might expect since the team would only be getting a 1 year rental.

All in all I'd still be game for this to happen assuming that the pieces moving to Western New York aren't too vital to our future.

You beat me to this.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#50 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Trading Larsson seems pretty silly unless we can land something like RNH or Yakupov for him, which wont happen. :D

Posted Image

#51 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Larsson is 20 years old and has shown flashes of brilliance. Find a 20 year old defenseman who made an immediate impact in recent (last 10) years. It doesn't happen. Anyone who even considers him a bust at this point is a fool. If Larsson is on the table, we better be getting back a massive package and should be for a superstar. I'd only even consider including him if we were getting back a Patrick/Evander Kane-type of player. The fact he's not been played regularly doesn't matter to me at all. He will get his chance soon and likely this next season. There's a reason why the top prospects rarely get moved early in their career. IMO Larsson and Kovy are literally the only untouchables at this point. After this season, even Henrique has fallen from that pedestal. That doesn't mean I don't value Henrique, I just don't think he's necessarily untouchable.

I could see us getting Vanek for Henrique, Urbom, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder. We won't get him for any of the overpaid defensive scrap heap (Volchenkov, Tallinder, Sal, etc). I don't see Lou being able to get the Kovy deal prior to the season beginning. It would be nearer the deadline as its likely the selling price is much higher now than it would be then. Then we'd be in the situation with him that were in with Kovy in that first offseason after the trade.

I also agree that the reaction to Matteau's situation has been borderline. He's a confident kid who felt wronged and went about expressing himself the wrong way. Let the dust settle a bit before castigating everyone involved. Other young players have done a lot worse and turned out fine.

There are going to be changes and I could see massive changes just as I could see little ones. I think the draft could be a very big deal for us this year and not just b/c we're hosting. More to the effect of seeing trades made at the draft with us involved.

#52 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

Miller only has 1 more season on his current contract, '13-14. Personally I think you would need to get an extension out of him (3 years for  something like 9 -10.5 mil?) as part of the deal or pass on him. 

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#53 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

that's a once in 20 years trade that you need a team dumb as Atlanta and a pending UFA to make. 

No thanks. Not trading him for a guy who's going to be a perennial 60 point player at best (no he's not gonna put up 76 again very often and sterio won't wanna know why  :P )

Edited by DH26, 22 April 2013 - 03:34 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#54 snartly

snartly

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

What about Dougie Hamilton? He has had a pretty immediate impact scoring wise.

#55 1Guy3Cups

1Guy3Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Absolutely no way we even sniff the likes of Yakupov. I'd love to see Merrill and Boucher. And if you don't like Gionta, you don't like hockey (words of Stevie Cangialosi.)

Gionta is the man.

#56 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

It's an unrealistic blueprint, especially since you're dealing with Darcy who's the antithesis of Waddell (only will do a deal if he gets $1.20 on the dollar, exhibit A the Pominville deal).

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#57 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

This is a rebuild, not a retool.  

Dealing Larrson is foolish.   GHDI well said.

Lou should play his cards close to the vest, but he has to resign Elias and Clarkson first and foremost.

This off-season is going to be interesting with the cap reduction.  Lou should just sit and wait as the offseason unfolds.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#58 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Well, Yakupov is going to be one of the most dangerous players in the league in a couple years. I don't think there's much the Devils could even string together to get Nail from EDM, even if it involves Larsson.

I agree, though, about there being a lot of work cut out for Lou this offseason. The defense situation really needs to be settled so that we have a consistent group of 6 starting every game. I wouldn't mind Zid coming back for another year. He would be a good mentor for some offensive-minded defensemen that may get a look in the NHL next season for a few games (Merrill, Gelinas).

Obviously the forwards need to be cleaned up a bit. Too many third liners on this team. Sullivan will obviously be gone, and probably one of D'Agostini or Poni.

I'd like to see something like this:

Henrique-Loktionov-Kovalchuk
Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Zubrus-Josefson-D'Agostini
CBGB

Greene-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
Tallinder-Fayne

In the case that Clarkson walks, Zubrus would take his spot, and Matteau may be ready to fill in that last hole.

And I think we all know that nothing is likely to happen with the goalies.

I'm sorry but that won't cut it this just more of the same, they need a top line scorer and bring up some youth from minors

#59 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

The Devils need to retool there defense, trade a player here and call up a player there.  They need to rebuild there offense, They need to replace Parise, which they were unable to do this year.  Hopefully in this years draft they can do that. 

#60 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

What about Dougie Hamilton? He has had a pretty immediate impact scoring wise.

Hamilton is not a perfect comparison IMO. Firstly, he's got more experience than Larsson in terms of playing in North America. He's also playing third pairing on a better Boston team and playing behind a first ballot HOFer in Chara. Neither Hamilton or Larsson has been given a lot of responsibility yet.

Larsson doesn't have that same thing going for him here. I'd also say that Hamilton's impact is somewhat minimal in respect to scoring. He's got 16 points in 41 games in his first season in the NHL. Last season, Larsson had a similar line with 18 in 65. Larsson needs to play more and I think that will come next year.

Hamilton has the luxury of being on a better team with better players at his position. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users