Things I would like to see this offseason from the Devils:
1. Buy out Moose and replace him with a younger goaltender who might be able to grow into the starters position when Marty finally hangs them up.
2. Let Clarkson walk. Someone out there is going to offer him 5 million per season which is too much for a guy that belongs on the 3rd line of any team that has championship asperations. Yes, he does a lot of good things but when he's not on his game but there also few players that can be a bigger black hole and basically render their whole line ineffective when they are off. A 5 year deal for big money, which is what I think he'll get, has the potential to be one of those awful unmovable contracts we see the Rangers always dealing with. I'm also a little sick of Pete putting him in situations that are beyond his capability.
3. Use our draft pick on a forward with scoring line potential. I don't want to see this pick moved for immediate help when we have so many holes to fill. I remain afraid that Lou is in a win now mode for himself and Marty and is going to leave the cupboard bare when he is done. Not that I think a draft pick is going to be the savior but Lou has always said he builds his teams like a college team with a balance of freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Not enough Freshman in this forward group.
4. Go into next season with 7 NHL defenseman. I'm convinced that rotating 8 was a detriment to the team this year. With that said, I really want to see Zidlicky come back because he has a offensive element to his game that none of our other defenders have. I would also like to see one of the AHL defenders work their way into the 3rd pairing so that means
Tallinder and Volchenkov should both be gone IMO. I actually would prefer Volchenkov over Salvador but Lou and Pete have some strange love affair with Bryce, so we know that's not going to happen.
Salvador, Greene, Fayne, Zidlicky, Larrson, one of Urbom/Gelinas/Merrill + Harrold as the 7th.
5. Re-sign Elias, Zubrus, Lokti, Henrique, Josefson and possibly D'Agostini depending on how the rest of the roster shakes out. Lou hasn't replaced Parise yet so there's no way he can let Elias leave.
6. Let Poni go. Loved him last season, hated to see him walk in the summer and was a huge fan of trading for him back this season but the dude has been flat out useless this season.
7. I would like to see Lou get another top 6 forward by taking advantage of the cap coming way down this offseason. It can be signing a guy who was bought out or a trade where the other team is just dumping salary so we're not giving up significant assets. I don't care which way it goes down but i'm convinced our 1st rounder does not need to be part of the equation to fill the hole in our top 6 for next year.