189 replies to this topic

#141 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:29 PM

Lundqvist isn't leaving NY unless there is some sort of massive falling out.  They will have the money, they'll have a good team, and he'll stay.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#142 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

Lundqvist isn't leaving NY unless there is some sort of massive falling out. They will have the money, they'll have a good team, and he'll stay.

Unless there is a coaching change in New York they won't win a cup. That team should be scoring, and it's extremely frustrating to lundqvist that they can't. He will entertain offers if torts is the coach next year

#143 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Unless there is a coaching change in New York they won't win a cup. That team should be scoring, and it's extremely frustrating to lundqvist that they can't. He will entertain offers if torts is the coach next year

It really shouldn't be.  Brad Richards is hugely overrated, Rick Nash is very good but not great, and where is the secondary scoring on that team?  They helped out a bit with Zuccarello, but it was the Rangers' bottom 6 forwards who were the big problem this year.

Hell, I'd be surprised if Lundqvist isn't signed this summer. 

#144 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

I'm not sure how anyone can say he's definitely going to stay in New York for any reason. The Rangers are the prototypical team (talking about results during his years there) where a player at the end of his contract would choose to leave for a better contender.

The clock is ticking and if they can't get past the first and second rounds this year, I don't know how you can assure that Lundqvist would want to stay. There's nothing to suggest that he's incredibly "loyal", as he's never been put in the position of free agency and being super-high demand as he will be next year's offseason.

The Rangers haven't had an all-star caliber player (that they didn't sign/overpay for at the middle of his peak) reach the end of their contract, in a long time. They overpay, they've buried or bought out the big contracts (Gomez, Drury, Redden), they make trades (Gaborik), etc. Lundqvist is the first Ranger of his caliber in a long time whose contract will run out, and it will be a real test on Sather to try to keep him if they don't get far in this year's playoffs. There's absolutely nothing on the Rangers' end to suggest that Lundqvist will definitely stay. On the business end of things, and the possibility of joining a contending team, there will be several teams that will be able to peak his interest and compete with Sather to sign him. I would not at all be surprised if he goes elsewhere.

#145 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

It really shouldn't be.  Brad Richards is hugely overrated, Rick Nash is very good but not great, and where is the secondary scoring on that team?  They helped out a bit with Zuccarello, but it was the Rangers' bottom 6 forwards who were the big problem this year.

Hell, I'd be surprised if Lundqvist isn't signed this summer. 

But for all the reasons you mentioned, why WOULD Lundqvist re-sign? I don't get it. He knows he's the rock of the team and has been for years, and they live or die based on his play any particular game. Why would he pledge the rest of his career to continue to play that role, under that one-person pressure to succeed, in a city and organization that's done very little for him in the grand scale of things? If you're his agent, you keep him unsigned until July 2014 because you know he'll be the most sought-after UFA of the offseason, instant pay-day.

There are at least 4 or 5 teams that would be able to pay him out the ass and already have offensive systems in place that would practically guarantee championship victories with Lundqvist in net. The status quo in New York is unable to provide him that, especially with Tortorella behind the bench. The burden is on his shoulders, every game, and every season, and his confidence has gone downhill the past two seasons...

#146 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm not sure how anyone can say he's definitely going to stay in New York for any reason. The Rangers are the prototypical team (talking about results during his years there) where a player at the end of his contract would choose to leave for a better contender.[/quote]

You speak like this is a thing that happens frequently.  Top players stay with their teams.  Name a franchise-type player from the last 10 years.  Now consider whether he's moved teams in free agency.  Thornton, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Crosby, E. Staal, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Iginla, the Sedins, Luongo, Spezza, Alfredsson, Getzlaf, Perry, and so on and so forth.  Some of these guys may well be traded (Iginla already was, Thornton was a while ago, Luongo probably will be), but they've signed long deals to remain with their current clubs.

You've basically got Parise, Suter, Kovalchuk, B. Richards, and Hossa on the one hand, and all of these guys on the other.

The clock is ticking and if they can't get past the first and second rounds this year, I don't know how you can assure that Lundqvist would want to stay. There's nothing to suggest that he's incredibly "loyal", as he's never been put in the position of free agency and being super-high demand as he will be next year's offseason.

Because the Rangers have missed the playoffs once since he's been in New York, and that was on the last day of the season.  The team is young - Richards is aging, but besides him there really isn't anyone who figures to decline seriously.  It's a good team.  Chicago and Pittsburgh haven't exactly had a picnic the last two years in the 1st round.

The Rangers haven't had an all-star caliber player (that they didn't sign/overpay for at the middle of his peak) reach the end of their contract, in a long time. They overpay, they've buried or bought out the big contracts (Gomez, Drury, Redden), they make trades (Gaborik), etc. Lundqvist is the first Ranger of his caliber in a long time whose contract will run out, and it will be a real test on Sather to try to keep him if they don't get far in this year's playoffs. There's absolutely nothing on the Rangers' end to suggest that Lundqvist will definitely stay. On the business end of things, and the possibility of joining a contending team, there will be several teams that will be able to peak his interest and compete with Sather to sign him. I would not at all be surprised if he goes elsewhere.

I don't think it will be a test at all.  You're assuming that those teams will have money when they have plenty of other problems to deal with before signing an elite goaltender (who, if you go for a short contract, demands $9M per season, and if you go to the 7 year max, demands at least 7.25M per).  New York is a draw in itself.  There's never been any indication that he wants to leave.  The team is good.  This is the same kind of talk that Ranger fans would delude themselves with about Brodeur leaving in the late 90s early 00s.

Edited by Triumph, 06 May 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#147 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

In all honesty, I know I'm probably over-exagerrating the negatives and the possibilities of him leaving, but I think you're also over-exaggerating the positives and reasons he will stay.

I think somewhere along the middle line is how the situation will really play out. He will test free agency, even if for a day or two. It's a very real possibility that he may leave. But I don't think he will sign before free agency, there's really absolutely no reason for him to do that. He will only get more money (even if he intends to stay with the Rangers) the longer he holds out.

#148 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

In all honesty, I know I'm probably over-exagerrating the negatives and the possibilities of him leaving, but I think you're also over-exaggerating the positives and reasons he will stay.

I think somewhere along the middle line is how the situation will really play out. He will test free agency, even if for a day or two. It's a very real possibility that he may leave. But I don't think he will sign before free agency, there's really absolutely no reason for him to do that. He will only get more money (even if he intends to stay with the Rangers) the longer he holds out.

This is not a guarantee at all.  Plenty of players do not test free agency.  There's tons of reasons to sign before free agency - you could have a down year, get hurt, etc.  If the Rangers come offering what Henrik wants, and I don't see why they wouldn't, an early signing is a definite possibility.

#149 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

The real question is...who will be going so that Lundqvist may stay. Callahan and Girardi are becoming UFA's at that time, McDonagh is an RFA after this year, as is Stepan, Hagelin, and Zuccarello

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#150 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

He's swedish. He's not going anywhere unless they want to get rid of him.

We should sign Zucca! :D :D
Posted Image

#151 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

The real question is...who will be going so that Lundqvist may stay. Callahan and Girardi are becoming UFA's at that time, McDonagh is an RFA after this year, as is Stepan, Hagelin, and Zuccarello

Richards obviously and I'd imagine they'd get rid of they'd get rid of Del Zotto before any of those guys. Plus they just got Gaborik off the books too 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#152 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

You can tell lundqvist is a new york kind of player... Hes into fashion, he seem to like the prestige, has a band, chills with justin bieber... The rangers are really young, he has a great group of youn D in front of him. And the rest of the team is pretty young too.

And again... How can we possibly say that its not a good place to resign because he didnt win when until last year weve been years and years not getting out of the first round? Were we saying that our ufa should sign elsewhere back then? Of course not. We were calling ourselves contenders every year. Im sure rangers fans think the same way.

www.SterioDesign.com

#153 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

You can tell lundqvist is a new york kind of player... Hes into fashion, he seem to like the prestige, has a band, chills with justin bieber... The rangers are really young, he has a great group of youn D in front of him. And the rest of the team is pretty young too.

And again... How can we possibly say that its not a good place to resign because he didnt win when until last year weve been years and years not getting out of the first round? Were we saying that our ufa should sign elsewhere back then? Of course not. We were calling ourselves contenders every year. Im sure rangers fans think the same way.

The big difference is that a Martin Brodeur type of elite goalie wasn't 31 years old on the Devils in 1994. Henrik is going to be 32 next contract year. A disappointing finish in this year's playoffs, with one of the most stacked Rangers lineups in years, is enough for me to think that he may at LEAST field some offers on July 1st, 2014. But at the end of the day, it really depends on how they do this year and next.

#154 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

Anyone who thinks there is even a remote chance of Lunqvist leaving New York is just foolish and doesn't really understand the UFA system..Playing in New York or Toronto is considered a players personal Stanley Cup victory.

Players do not ever choose to leave these places, management chooses that for them.   

Lunqvist is the face of THE biggest US market franchise, he isn't considering going anywhere else.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#155 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Anyone who thinks there is even a remote chance of Lunqvist leaving New York is just foolish and doesn't really understand the UFA system..Playing in New York or Toronto is considered a players personal Stanley Cup victory.

Players do not ever choose to leave these places, management chooses that for them.   

Lunqvist is the face of THE biggest US market franchise, he isn't considering going anywhere else.

I think the opposite. I think it's foolish to assume he's just going to stay in New York, just to stay in New York. Professional sports is a business. UFA and the doings of an agent is ALL business. Things like loyalty and tradition go out the window when an agent is debating an $8m a year contract vs. a $6.5m one with his client.

Assuming that players will just want to stay in a New York or a Toronto market, and giving reasons like he's into fashion and the lifestyle, is totally misunderstanding the power of free agency.

It's not a lock that he'll be leaving, but you'd be very naive if you don't think his agent will push him past the July 1st mark to really get what he can out of an undisciplined moneybag like Glen Sather, or go elsewhere.

And just to add, Pittsburgh is the biggest US market for hockey. When you take into account the bandwagon fanbase they have, the media support, and the jerseys they sell all across the United States, the New York Rangers pale in comparison. Hockey's still not that big here, and you can tell by the lack of any sort of coverage in the New York papers about the NHL Playoffs.

Edited by DJ Eco, 07 May 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#156 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

No, it seems you underestimate and don't understand the high profile draw and global cache of the New York Market, 

Lunquvist will lose more in endorsements, and exposure by just taking a measly $1.5 million raise elsewhere.   Granted hockey has to fight for its share of voice, but there are more media outlets in NYC than the rest of the world (I am including non-hockey media that Lunquvist is involved with like Conde Nast publications).   There is no way Lunquvist ever leaves New York, unless Sather trades him. 

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#157 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:31 AM

No, it seems you underestimate and don't understand the high profile draw and global cache of the New York Market,

Lunquvist will lose more in endorsements, and exposure by just taking a measly $1.5 million raise elsewhere. Granted hockey has to fight for its share of voice, but there are more media outlets in NYC than the rest of the world (I am including non-hockey media that Lunquvist is involved with like Conde Nast publications). There is no way Lunquvist ever leaves New York, unless Sather trades him.

The Rangers will likely offer him more money than any other team if they want to keep him around, which I can't imagine they won't, even with a first round exit. Without him, the Rangers are probably not a playoff team. The cap will rise enough after next year that cap space won't be an issue.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#158 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,488 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

No, it seems you underestimate and don't understand the high profile draw and global cache of the New York Market, 

Lunquvist will lose more in endorsements, and exposure by just taking a measly $1.5 million raise elsewhere.   Granted hockey has to fight for its share of voice, but there are more media outlets in NYC than the rest of the world (I am including non-hockey media that Lunquvist is involved with like Conde Nast publications).   There is no way Lunquvist ever leaves New York, unless Sather trades him. 

I don't really see what kind of endorsements we're talking about here, though. I just don't see hockey anywhere near the spotlight in New York, hasn't been for a long time. Aside from that, it's not like we see him on commercials or billboards or anything other than GQ's sports issue.

This theoretical draw of New York as the "big stage" and "city of bright lights" at the "world's most famous arena" is all rendered bullsh!t when a Cup contender team offers Lundqvist's agent a competitive contract offer on July 1 2014. Simple as that, THAT's the nature of free agency.

#159 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I don't really see what kind of endorsements we're talking about here, though. I just don't see hockey anywhere near the spotlight in New York, hasn't been for a long time. Aside from that, it's not like we see him on commercials or billboards or anything other than GQ's sports issue.

This theoretical draw of New York as the "big stage" and "city of bright lights" at the "world's most famous arena" is all rendered bullsh!t when a Cup contender team offers Lundqvist's agent a competitive contract offer on July 1 2014. Simple as that, THAT's the nature of free agency.

He will not get to that point.  He is unlikely to go to free agency.  Do I need to list off more names?  Sure.  J. Staal, E. Staal, Alex Semin (the 2nd time), Ryan Getzlaf, Zdeno Chara, Corey Perry, Travis Zajac.  I can keep going with players who decided that they liked where they were, they liked the offer they got, and they decided to stay put, well in advance of free agency.  

And you are assuming that a Cup contender will have at least 7.5M in cap space to offer Lundqvist, something which is not at all clear.  You are also assuming that the Rangers won't be a Cup contender next year, and I'm not sure I agree with that either.

Edited by Triumph, 07 May 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#160 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

i mean it's the same thing with every big upcoming UFA... lol other fan bases will find every single possible reason that he should / will leave. 

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users