480 replies to this topic

#21 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Madden put Brett fvcking Favre as a Jet on their cover.

#22 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:56 PM

C'mon man, you are getting ridiculous with the hatred.  The worst goalie?  There's guys who have been worse, but that's not the point.  Marty has been one of the elite goalies for a very long time, incredibly consistent and durable, right up to the '09-'10 season.  His save% through that year actually IMPROVED after the lockout...you know, the lockout that was supposed to "expose" him.  No, the last few years haven't been as good, and he's clearly not what he was...even the most ardent Brodeur supporters (like me) won't argue that, and though I know it's probably not going to happen, I really wouldn't mind seeing Brodeur retire after this season.  For one, I don't think he has anything left to prove.  For another, based on the last three years, I don't see how he's going to play much better than he is right now (even factoring in his overall good play in the SCF run last season), and his current level of play simply isn't good enough for a team that sadly looks like it's going to need elite play from that position to compete in the short term.

This is how it tends to go with the big names and the all-time greats...they have a hard time accepting that they're not what they were, but if you're going to blame Marty for that, you can blame Lou too...it was probably a bit of a "lifetime achievement" contract on Lou's part, giving Marty a two-year deal, but when you consider all Marty has done for the organization since his career took off, I don't know how you can grow to blast him with such hatred over and over.  All you have to do is look at a team like the Flyers...look at all of the "Number 1" goalies they've had since Marty became the man for NJ.  You had almost two decades where you knew who your starting goalie was going to be, and you knew that, just about every season, you were going to get good-to-great play from that position.  He had some years that were better than others, but you never had to suffer through a bad Marty season when he was in his prime, and that prime lasted from 1993 to 2010, with almost no injuries to boot.  There isn't a team in the NHL who wouldn't have KILLED to have had a guy like that, a guy who was so friggin' dependable and durable. 

Yeah, sadly, it's starting to get a little ugly, but like I've said in other threads, part of what makes the greats what they are is what probably makes them stubborn towards the end of their careers.  I'm guessing if you were able to ask Marty if he still thought he's got something left and can have a better season in '13-'14, he'd tell you yes, absolutely.  His believing that will probably put Lou and the franchise in an awkward position next year, and if Marty starts slowly next year, the vultures are going to start circling, calling Marty selfish, delusional, washed-up, etc...that would be painful to watch, but just like when perenially good teams tend to crash hard and ugly, the same thing tends to happen with the all-time greats. 

Instead of taking the "What have you done for me lately?" approach, take a step back and realize how lucky you were to have a guy like Marty play for your team for so long.  A guy who gave you everything he had on the ice, and tried to do his best by the organization off it.  No, he wasn't always perfect, but perfection doesn't exist.  Very soon the Devils will be another team that could be living year-to-year with their goalies...maybe we'll get lucky and the Devils will find another long-term goalie they can count on for a while, but good luck finding a guy who's capable of appearing in 70+ games in 12 different seasons, helping his team win multiple Cups, and who was certain skillsets so strong and dominating that the NHL will feel the need to make rule changes to minimize those skills.   

If you're not happy with Marty's current level of play, that's one thing, but to be so flat-out disrespectful and mean-spirited about it...I don't get that at all.   

Very well put. From reading what Marty has said about this team recently I feel he through Lou and the team under the bus. I for one wish he would retire now but I know he won't and his present performance will hurt the team next season. He has been on a steady decline. I do blame Lou for part of this, he should have demanded that Marty not play so many games and had a replacement in place to be the backup until the switch. Too late for that now.

#23 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Don't let Marty's head get any bigger he will want to stay two years beyond this contract.

#24 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Madden put Brett fvcking Favre as a Jet on their cover.

What happened was he retired, they put him on as a Packer, he unretired, got traded, then they made an alt cover with him in a Jet uniform, then he was released, signed with the Vikings and would have won the Super Bowl if the refs had a fvcking spine and didn't let the Saints cheap shot and give them every call in OT and earlier to help them win that game.

#25 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,939 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

I think some of these current Marty haters will be reflecting on how good we had it with Marty if we don't find a stable starting goalie. Just look at the Flyers, they haven't had a legit number one goalie since hextall. If that isn't a reminder to be careful for what you wish for I don't know what is.

I'm a marty lover though, it will be a sad day for me when #30 isn't protecting our crease anymore. He helped bring us 3 cups and to 5 finals. How any Devils fan can't at least respect him for that is a complete joke. You can argue he should retire and be against him playing anymore but you should always respect what he has done for this franchise.

#26 chaos212

chaos212

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

I've been voting 10+ times a day for Brody

#27 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:49 AM

Brodeur on the cover?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#28 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Well he made the round of 16 where they pair off to see who wins over the other. Brodeur is squaring off against Anze Kopitar in must be a troll move by EA. So yeah

#29 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Idea. Addition of suspensions in the game ? No?

#30 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

BUMP!!!

people, you all have a job to do. I have been voting 50+ times a day. If everyone on this forum votes for Marty 10 times a day he can probably beat Kopitar and hopefully end up on the cover. Whether or not you play video games please give me something to cheer about! LGD

#31 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Not to drag the thread back to the Marty is great:

http://blogs.northje...ne_more_season/

Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur, who will turn 41 one week from today, has
said many times already that he will come back next season and play out the
second and final season on his contract. That doesn’t mean that next season will
definitely be Brodeur’s last, though.

“Not at all,” the future Hall of Famer said today. “It’s the last year on my
contract and that’s about it. This year, even though we didn’t make the
playoffs, I had a great time playing the game. I really had a good time
competing at the level I wanted to compete (at) and if it stays like that and
I’m still having fun, who knows that’s going to happen? I’m not putting a
decision in my mind.

“Two, three years ago, it was harder to make that decision, but now, for
whatever reason, I don’t know if it’s the way the game is here, I really enjoy
we have a chance to win every single game and the coaches make it fun to come to
the rink.”

Some of the other comments there dont fill me with confidence.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#32 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

Brodeur is campaigning pretty hard on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MartinBrodeur

I thought Lou didn't allow the Devils to be on Twitter?  looks like marty just started apr 8.  Also I'm trusting twitter and their verification system.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 09 May 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#33 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,470 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Brodeur is campaigning pretty hard on Twitter

https://twitter.com/MartinBrodeur

I thought Lou didn't allow the Devils to be on Twitter?  looks like marty just started apr 8.  Also I'm trusting twitter and their verification system.

A few players have had their own portals onto the Internet.  I think Elias was using a website for awhile.  I think players can have it, I'm guessing they probably just have to vet everything through a Devils employee first so it's too annoying to bother with.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#34 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

for those who want marty gone now, you want him on the SI cover! :smilegah:

#35 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Devils fans are killing it right now in the Cover Vote, #NHL14Brodeur has been the #1 Trend Worldwide on Twitter all day today
25smul5.png

#36 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,972 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

Voted.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#37 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Whatever anyone thinks about Marty now, it be great to honour Brodeur by voting him in the cover of this video game. I haven't played video games in a decade, but it be pretty nice to see Devils fans and hockey fans give Marty's career the appreciation it really deserves.

And so many of us talk about the Devils. their players or their fans never getting the respect or the accolades they deserve, so here's a great opportunity to get some.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#38 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

Wow this really would be something.

Is there a way we can see current percentages of that matchup?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#39 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Well he won the first round match up and now its on to a vote against James Van Riemsdyk.

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Brodeur on the cover?

:wub: LOVE! :wub:

Seriously - our fan base really can't mach the leafs.  Prove me wrong - since I'm so sh!tty I won't even register to vote for this thing. 

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users