1134 replies to this topic

#1061 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

LAKings @LAKings: @penguins you guys wanna grab a drink later?
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1062 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

Ok I hate Claude julien - hate is too strong a word. He's just , just still short of the mark. I think the best thing for HIM would hVe been for the bruins to have completed an epic fail.

LEARNING is what's to be congratulated not getting your name on a Cup not really knowing why. That why I hate all bad bounce, just not going our way, we were doing all the right things crap.

I am of the pinion Julien is just off the mark. Close but not right and I just don't care for his style in the search. Mostly because its not too far off. But off none the less

That said once they were in it. I wanted them to win over anyone else. Now I want the hawks

I'm here for the party

#1063 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,260 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

I actually liked Julian during his tenure here.   Still trying to figure out why he got fired.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1064 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Sorry PK, the guy already won a Stanley Cup and may well win another.  Yes, he's got a talented team but everyone crapped on him here at the time he was canned and history's shown the problems here were not with him but the guys already in the locker room (who needed to be purged over the next three-four years).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 09 June 2013 - 06:36 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1065 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

I actually liked Julian during his tenure here. Still trying to figure out why he got fired.

John Madden.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1066 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

I actually liked Julian during his tenure here.   Still trying to figure out why he got fired.

I still think they were looking for a convenient excuse to can him before chancing a semi-decent playoff run since they finally could get the guy they really wanted (Sutter, bleh).

John Madden. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always believed it was Madden involved in that supposed puck-shooting incident, the only thing that stops me from thinking it 100% is Lou didn't kick Madden to the curb right away after the season.  Then again it doesn't seem like they're anxious to have him around post-career either the way they have many other alums hanging around.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 09 June 2013 - 06:44 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1067 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

To this day I still cannot believe that happened.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#1068 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

I actually liked Julian during his tenure here. Still trying to figure out why he got fired.

I still think they were looking for a convenient excuse to can him before chancing a semi-decent playoff run since they finally could get the guy they really wanted (Sutter, bleh).

John Madden. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've always believed it was Madden involved in that supposed puck-shooting incident, the only thing that stops me from thinking it 100% is Lou didn't kick Madden to the curb right away after the season. Then again it doesn't seem like they're anxious to have him around post-career either the way they have many other alums hanging around.

I remember hearing during the 2010 season after Madden left for Chicago that he was building a house here and that he planned on retiring here, but AFAIK he doesn't live in NJ now. Apparently he's a scout for Montreal, so I guess it's fair to speculate if there was some kind issue or issues behind the scenes maybe. I hope not, Madden is one of my all-time favorite Devs (obviously he was the inspiration for my screen name :P). If there are any hard feelings, I hope they don't last. And seeing as how today is the 10-year anniversary of the 2003 Cup, I think it's appropriate to post this: picture-22.png

Edited by MadDog2020, 09 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1069 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

Why apologize - you didn't give him the Cup. you're not telling me anything I dont know, thus, I repeat, his winning isn't getting him closer to the kind of coach I like. I've written often and specifically what I don't care for in him. I've also more than outlined each player I felt was weak during his tenure. To me his win took him further away from coaching legend, just my opinion. Who cares? No one.

I'm here for the party

#1070 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:01 AM

I liked Julien too. I never understood why Lou canned him after he achived some success but let a guy like Johnny Mac drive this team into the toilet before finally stepping in. I'm assuming it had to do with 1) Lou's ego and 2) JM being a former Devil and Lou has a soft spot for former Devils.

Regardless, Julien got the last laugh. Especially considering Lou was coaching that Devils team that melted down vs. Carolina.   

Edited by slasher72, 10 June 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#1071 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

I liked Julien too. I never understood why Lou canned him after he achived some success but let a guy like Johnny Mac drive this team into the toilet before finally stepping in. I'm assuming it had to do with 1) Lou's ego and 2) JM being a former Devil and Lou has a soft spot for former Devils.

Regardless, Julien got the last laugh. Especially considering Lou was coaching that Devils team that melted down vs. Carolina.

He fired MacLean a little more than two months into the season. That's about as quick as you can go before firing a first year coach.

MacLean had success as an assistant. It wasn't a move that was out of left field like if the Rangers hire Messier to be their coach.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1072 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Me too. According to Lou he didn't have the team "playoff ready". But as to what that really means, who knows. But I did hear about the players not liking him.

Devils.

#1073 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

He fired MacLean a little more than two months into the season. That's about as quick as you can go before firing a first year coach.

MacLean had success as an assistant. It wasn't a move that was out of left field like if the Rangers hire Messier to be their coach.

Well, the Devils had a record of 9–22–2 at the time he was fired. Those 2+ months seemed a lot longer.

#1074 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Plus they had other issues at the time.  It wasn't immediately obvious that MacLean was the entire problem considering Parise was hurt, Kovy was disgruntled, Langenbrunner had quit on the team and they had cap roster headaches early in the season.  The only time he could have been realistically fired before that was after the November loss against the Islanders, but they actually won three other games that week.

I liked Julien too. I never understood why Lou canned him after he achived some success but let a guy like Johnny Mac drive this team into the toilet before finally stepping in. I'm assuming it had to do with 1) Lou's ego and 2) JM being a former Devil and Lou has a soft spot for former Devils.

If you're referring to '06 that was before Julien.  '09 Sutter coached the team.

#1075 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Me too. According to Lou he didn't have the team "playoff ready". But as to what that really means, who knows. But I did hear about the players not liking him.

It was mostly a group that had Madden, Gomez, and I believe White and Langs in there that didn't like him.  Then there was the whole Madden firing the puck at Julien episode that was whispered about.

That really was a locker room full of ego's and sh!t personalities and unforunately Julien got blamed for it.  I think Lou has learned his lesson since then as he has been a little less trigger happy when it comes to firing coaches and takes time now to look at the players are part of the problem as well.

#1076 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

The Julien situation, to me, is the biggest mystery in team history. I have trouble buying that puck shooting situation because that behaviour would never be tolerated by Lou. 

Anyway, here is an article about it from Chere:

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello is a man who never admits to having regrets. If he has them, as he must, he won’t say so.

But with the Boston Bruins reaching the Stanley Cup Finals for the second time in three seasons, you have to wonder whether Lamoriello would like to have a mulligan on his decision to fire Claude Julien as Devils’ coach back on April 2, 2007.

Since Julien took over the Bruins in 2007-08, he has won 256 regular-season games. The Devils have won 250.

More importantly, Julien has guided the Bruins to 48 playoff victories (and counting), winning one Stanley Cup. The Devils have won 19 playoff games over that time without a Cup.

Lamoriello denies he has any regrets about letting Julien go with three games remaining in the 2006-07 season and the Devils tied for first place in the Atlantic Division.

"No, because I made the decision at that time with the information I had in front of me," Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger. "If you could go back and make decisions again, knowing what you know now, things would be different.

"You can’t look back. You’ve got to trust the position you’re in and the information you have. Nobody else has that information."

http://www.nj.com/de...no_regrets.html

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1077 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

It was mostly a group that had Madden, Gomez, and I believe White and Langs in there that didn't like him.  Then there was the whole Madden firing the puck at Julien episode that was whispered about.

That really was a locker room full of ego's and sh!t personalities and unforunately Julien got blamed for it.  I think Lou has learned his lesson since then as he has been a little less trigger happy when it comes to firing coaches and takes time now to look at the players are part of the problem as well.

Lou's only fired two coaches in the last decade, with everyone complaining he didn't fire one fast enough.  And yeah the other firing hasn't worked out well but it's impossible to change the whole team just before the end of the season.  I think the Madden thing was just a symptom of the problem and the whole team really had tuned Julien out.

Had to correct my post, for some reason I forgot to count MacLean.

Edited by NJDevs26, 10 June 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#1078 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Lou can say what he wants to the press, but his actions since then has showed that he has learned his lesson.  He went through a period of 7 years that saw (not counting Lou) Ftorek, Robinson, Constantine, Burns, Robinson again, then Julien.  That's 5 coaching changes where 3 of them were firings, and 2 were due to physical and mental health reasons.  In the 6 years since only 1 coach has been fired, and Lou probably hung on to MacLean about a month longer than he would have in the past just to see if it would work out.

#1079 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,393 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

That group ousting Lemaire pretty much cinched the locker room issues.That's why I gave Julien a fair look when he went to Boston.  It's not his fault -- he's an ineffectual Pat Burns. and he's getting worse down that path IMO.  He's not aware of himself.  He knows hockey and he's got the correct vision -- it's HIM.  Him personally that is just off in his communication, his view of himself.  He's not aware of how he comes off so to me -- he seems a little almost erratic and therefore almost weakly transparent.  As coach you need someone who knows himself.  You can know the GAME and that's really important, it is priority number one.  But thereafter you have to know yourself so you can then know your players.  REALLY know your players.  He still doesn't get that -- he just can't with the way he behaves.  You know -- I feel like he could fix it but he might just be one of those guys.  :noclue:

You guys just don't put thought into this area.  Sometimes you can't work with certain things.  Other people maybe they can -- but for this organization just no way.  Absolutely Lou made no mistake and it's no big mystery.  I don't expect fans to really deeply empathize and intuit - its a hassle and it's very subjective and yet - I click with the organization and I see things -- maybe justify others but that's what's required.  It's a different dimension to the game.  To me keeping Bryce Salvatore is like keeping Julien.  I prefer dumping close but no cigar to the curb.  It's sloppy to me -- it's extraneous.  But maybe what Lou learned was better to have extraneous mental stuff with players rather than coaches.

DeBoer.... sometimes he's a little low key for me.  I also can tell we fans dont see a lot of things - or we can't sense what brews underneath.  but he's very honest while being rather distant and uninformative to the press.  He's lawyerly -- it's a fine line he treads.  He coudl easily get himself to a place where the team second guesses him wrongly. they may build resentment because he just might be low key manipulating.  It's that sense that there is something he's not telling -- it might breed bad second guessing and distrust.  BUT --- if he takes action in timely enough fashion you dont have time to go to far down a second guessing road.  You're on your toes and paying attention - but the picture isn't full enough to risk guessing intent -- and it's just full enough to NOT take you down the wrong road.  I worry he doesn't quite paint enough of the picture to get as rapid forward momentum as is possible with the team.

and no one cares :evil:  so anyhow -- I'd say sure I'm polishing a turd when I say I dont like Julien -- but he KEEPS doing it, even in Boston.  I find him just   If lou did too -- well then he's not going to work -- i dont give a sh!t how many times his name gets on the Cup with Boston - he doesn't belong with the Devils.  :P 

Edited by Pepperkorn, 10 June 2013 - 11:15 AM.

I'm here for the party

#1080 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

Lou's only fired one coach in the last decade.  And yeah that one hasn't worked out well but it's impossible to change the whole team just before the end of the season.  I think the Madden thing was just a symptom of the problem and the whole team really had tuned Julien out.

But why did they tune him out?  If he was ineffective then explain the 107-point season he was able to muster out of them?

I think it was more of the players with their ego's trying to take advantage and Lou took their side.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users