Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

The following quote is from a recent exchange with TheFourthPeriod:

"Let's be honest. I'm not stupid. I know I have a year left and they can
probably deal me for prospects, young guys, whatever else is out
there," Vanek told the Buffalo News this weekend. "Yeah, I've thought
about it. If it looks like it's a long rebuild, then it probably makes
sense for both parties to move on."

http://www.thefourth.../buf130429.html

Get it done Lou.. now is your chance to snag that top six forward we all have been waiting for!

n2eg.jpg

#2 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

A very hard deal to make without 1st round draft picks to give up unless they want it to be this years for Vanek. Unlikely. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#3 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Do not want to trade this years first for anything.  Especially for what will likely amount to one year of Vanek.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#4 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

Vanek and Kovy on both the 1st and 2nd lines would be a huge boost for us.  The question is, what do you give up?

Tallinder? lol

#5 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

We can't afford it.

#6 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Not that I don't think Buffalo wants a 1st round draft pick, but I would imagine they'd prefer a package of 3-4 solid prospects, almost-NHL ready or better. I think Buffalo's GM feels more a sense of urgency than the patience of waiting for like an Islanders-style 5-6 year "rebuild".

It'd be bittersweet. As with any trade for a major player, it'd take some important pieces of the Devils future to land Vanek, not sure how I'll feel if we gave up some of them.

#7 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

It's amazing the kind of negativity and dark cloud that's been over the fanbase and management in Buffalo literally ALL YEAR. What scares me is that both our teams finished at 48 points. Maybe because of 2011-2012 season and our management's track record, we're trained not to think "rebuild" after a season like this.

#8 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Seems as though Miller wants out too.

http://espn.go.com/n...-buffalo-sabres

It's amazing the kind of negativity and dark cloud that's been over the fanbase and management in Buffalo literally ALL YEAR. What scares me is that both our teams finished at 48 points. Maybe because of 2011-2012 season and our management's track record, we're trained not to think "rebuild" after a season like this.

Why is Buffalo ahead of us in the draft when we both have 48 points? Isn't the first tiebreak wins, of which we have fewer?

#9 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

Tallinder + Henrique + Urbom + Tedenby + 2nd/3rd

Wishful thinking? 

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#10 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

We can afford one or two seasons like this. I don't think the Devils will make being out of the playoffs a regular thing. Not to mention the Devils are ovbiously the more successful franchise. We might have both finished at 48 points but it's two different teams really IMO.

I don't think Vanek is going to command such a massive return for a pending FA. We could easily give up a Kovy like return. Josefson/Tallinder/Urbom  = Bergfors/Oydua/Cormier.

And I wouldn't think that'd be giving up too much either.

n2eg.jpg

#11 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,321 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Seems as though Miller wants out too.

http://espn.go.com/n...-buffalo-sabres

Why is Buffalo ahead of us in the draft when we both have 48 points? Isn't the first tiebreak wins, of which we have fewer?

First tie breaker is regulation or overtime wins (basically excludes shootout wins) and unfortunately we have 17 and the Sabres 14.

#12 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Buffalo is in a much worse spot than we are.  They should've been a much worse team than they ended up being, they traded away one of their top players and 2 more look like they're definitely leaving.  They're possibly entering a years-long rebuild.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#13 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

And Petey wants Vanek in Jersey. :thumbsup:

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Before you even consider it, an extension needs to be worked out.  But, the speculation is just for fun.  It isn't happening.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#15 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

a lot of people are assuming they ask for a first rounder.  a lot of times we'll see in a scenario like this (and in other sports) where you end up giving less than you think.  The closer it gets until Vanek's contract runs out, the more urgent Buffalo would be.

Maybe a future first, a couple of 2nds, and a third, Tallinder, and Urbom?  Thats CERTAINLY wishful thinking but if you give up three picks and send basically two NHL ready DMen, its not completely unreasonable.

BUT of course, as Daniel stated, you MUST work out an extension on that contract.

This is exciting, but more likely just hype over something that wont happen

Edited by Onddeck, 29 April 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#16 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Not happening.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#17 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

a lot of people are assuming they ask for a first rounder.  a lot of times we'll see in a scenario like this (and in other sports) where you end up giving less than you think.  The closer it gets until Vanek's contract runs out, the more urgent Buffalo would be.

Maybe a future first, a couple of 2nds, and a third, Tallinder, and Urbom?  Thats CERTAINLY wishful thinking but if you give up three picks and send basically two NHL ready DMen, its not completely unreasonable.

BUT of course, as Daniel stated, you MUST work out an extension on that contract.

This is exciting, but more likely just hype over something that wont happen

I'd think the only way this deal happens is if the Devils work out an extension with Vanek before hand...it's too bad that sign and trades in the NHL aren't allowed. Still I think we have enough tradable assets for a deal to be made. We have the cap room to sign him but we also have other players to sign as well.. so who knows how much cap room will be left over to potentially make such a signing happen.

Edited by TheMazz, 29 April 2013 - 01:35 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

Tallinder + Henrique + Urbom + Tedenby + 2nd/3rd

Wishful thinking? 

Don't think they'll want Tallinder (they've been there and done that, though with only one year left on his deal, he's attractive from a money and years standpoint), and Tedenby is just a throw-in at this point...I don't think they care one way or another if he's a part of this deal...he's a bag of pucks.

Henrique, Urbom, this year's 1st and something else might get them to listen. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

Don't think they'll want Tallinder (they've been there and done that, though with only one year left on his deal, he's attractive from a money and years standpoint), and Tedenby is just a throw-in at this point...I don't think they care one way or another if he's a part of this deal...he's a bag of pucks.

Pointless to include Henrique in any of these potential deals....he is going to be a quality player for us for some time....

The point is to SUPPLEMENT our forwards, not give one away to get another back...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#20 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I think the Sabres do that deal in a second. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users