Photo

Who do you think the Devils will draft?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Devils 2013 draft selection (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think the Devils will select?

1. Sean Monahan (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. Elias Lindholm (8 votes [12.31%])

Percentage of vote: 12.31%

3. Nikita Zaradov (1 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

4. Hunter Shinkaruk (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

5. Bo Horvat (1 votes [1.54%])

6. Curtis Lazar (3 votes [4.62%])

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

7. Valeri Nichushkin (7 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

8. Darnell Nurse (1 votes [1.54%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

TSN's draft preview thing said Shinkaruk has a really nice shot, so let's not pigeonhole him as an elite garbageman just because of some Youtube highlights.

http://lastwordonspo...yer-profile-11/

Not that any website is right or wrong on things, but there are at least a few people touting that Shinkaruk can really shoot well.

This is the video of Craig Button's take:

I wouldn't mind another elite garbageman.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#62 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

im torn between Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk, and even Nichushkin... All of these guys can play the cycle which is huge for us.  

Nichushkin would be fantastic at RW but there's no way he falls to us..

I voted Shinkaruk because he can play the wing, he skates great and is praised for his shot... and well, he may realistically fall.  I would love to draft this guy.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#63 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

What im scared that happen is that the avs select jones... Then that the next 7 teams pickmall forwards not picking ristolainen or nurse ... So mackinon, drouin, barkov, nichushkin, monahan, shinkaruk, and lindholm are all gone by the time we pick... Seems like theres a drop there... We'd look at gauthier.. Mantha etc etc...

www.SterioDesign.com

#64 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

What im scared that happen is that the avs select jones... Then that the next 7 teams pickmall forwards not picking ristolainen or nurse ... So mackinon, drouin, barkov, nichushkin, monahan, shinkaruk, and lindholm are all gone by the time we pick... Seems like theres a drop there... We'd look at gauthier.. Mantha etc etc...

eek. that would be sh!tty.. we literally only need ONE of those 7 teams to not take a forward

Edited by Onddeck, 01 May 2013 - 09:33 PM.

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#65 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:14 AM

Jim Nill said you basically have the top three, then the next drop isn't until 12 and the next one around 25. So basically 4-12 are interchangeable.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#66 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:29 AM

If this draft is as strong as advertised, there are many others on down the line (if indeed Devils really want a fw. Even though we have an overabundance of d men, you almost can't pass on Darnell Nurse or the big Russki. Craig Button early mock draft had us choosing Zadarov.
The only thing I don't like about Shinkaruk (according to Button's assessment) is his lack of physicality

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#67 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

Jim Nill said you basically have the top three, then the next drop isn't until 12 and the next one around 25. So basically 4-12 are interchangeable.

i still see a drop in the forwards after all the guys we've been talking about and Gauthier, Mantha, Domi etc etc

i do really like what i saw of Nurse he seem to be explosive, aggressive and have lots of jumps... which is exactly what larsson is lacking

which bring me to a point... we all looked at videos from all those guys... Nurse for example is a Dman... you can see him carrying the puck and blowing by players and getting in that extra gear and look very dynamic and move aggressively... Thats in him/thats him... we don't have to wait til he's 25 to see that. Same with Larsson, that "way Larsson is playing is going to be the same in 5 years, he's gonna be smarter and better but he won't be faster and more aggressive at all. You come in the league with certain tools and you get better at it. It's not just popping out of the blues suddenly.

www.SterioDesign.com

#68 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

i still see a drop in the forwards after all the guys we've been talking about and Gauthier, Mantha, Domi etc etc

i do really like what i saw of Nurse he seem to be explosive, aggressive and have lots of jumps... which is exactly what larsson is lacking

which bring me to a point... we all looked at videos from all those guys... Nurse for example is a Dman... you can see him carrying the puck and blowing by players and getting in that extra gear and look very dynamic and move aggressively... Thats in him/thats him... we don't have to wait til he's 25 to see that. Same with Larsson, that "way Larsson is playing is going to be the same in 5 years, he's gonna be smarter and better but he won't be faster and more aggressive at all. You come in the league with certain tools and you get better at it. It's not just popping out of the blues suddenly.

Skating is something you can work on. Tavares was pretty weak at skating when he was drafted and he's improved significantly. Ill agree that aggressiveness is more just in a players style and that Larsson might never be that, but to say his skating will never be great isnt correct.

#69 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Every single year we see someone in the top 10 reach for a guy none of us ever expected.  I just hope it's not Lou deciding now is finally the time to use a high pick to try and replace Marty.  Also, I can't see the Oilers passing on a D-man.   

In the end, I think Nichuskin has a real chance to fall a little.  If he's there at 7 and the Oilers really are looking at D, it shouldn't cost us too much to jump up and get him.   

#70 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Skating is something you can work on. Tavares was pretty weak at skating when he was drafted and he's improved significantly. Ill agree that aggressiveness is more just in a players style and that Larsson might never be that, but to say his skating will never be great isnt correct.

well i didnt said anything about Larsson's skating really? its more about strength than skills to have jumps and an extra gear and jumps

www.SterioDesign.com

#71 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

Highlight videos for defensemen show nothing.  The ability to do that is nice, but it shows nothing about Nurse's ability to make the safe play, or how he defends against a 2 on 2, etc., and it's that stuff that wins and loses hockey games.  

Larsson is never going to be a fast defenseman, but there are plenty of Hall of Fame defensemen who aren't fast.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#72 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Every single year we see someone in the top 10 reach for a guy none of us ever expected.  I just hope it's not Lou deciding now is finally the time to use a high pick to try and replace Marty.  Also, I can't see the Oilers passing on a D-man.   

In the end, I think Nichuskin has a real chance to fall a little.  If he's there at 7 and the Oilers really are looking at D, it shouldn't cost us too much to jump up and get him.   

You could definitely make a case for Nichushkin falling to 8-9. There are several teams drafting early this year that probably feel that they could win now. Carolina, Tampa Bay, and posssibly even Edmonton may not be interested in Nichushkin for that reason. Although lately, it seems like every year is that year for Edmonton.

It then just becomes a matter of whether Buffalo and Calgary are more likely to draft defense. Calgary seems to need immediate help on offense and long-term help on defense. I worry that if Nichushkin is available at 8, he's going to Buffalo though.

#73 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

Highlight videos for defensemen show nothing.  The ability to do that is nice, but it shows nothing about Nurse's ability to make the safe play, or how he defends against a 2 on 2, etc., and it's that stuff that wins and loses hockey games.  

Larsson is never going to be a fast defenseman, but there are plenty of Hall of Fame defensemen who aren't fast.

i never said Nurse was going to be better or anything i used him as an example of the kind of players he is and the tools he has, you don't necessarily need it just like a forward doesnt necessarely need the heaviest shot. But it's still a good tool to have and Larsson doesnt have it. Thats all.

why is malking so good? fast, unreal hands, super strong, good skater, good shot, precise, smart etc etc.... he's that good because he has all that. Take away his size, speed and skating... he'd still be good but not as good. 

Edited by SterioDesign, 02 May 2013 - 12:15 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#74 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

nobody likes Lazar? sure hes a year younger but then you realize hes 6' 190 with room to grow, good on the cycle is in his scouting report.

his report reads like devils material. edit: according to the little ive seen, which is why i ask.

Edited by lazer, 02 May 2013 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

#75 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

It's not unfathomable that a couple of Lindholm/Shinkaruk/Monahan/Nichuskin fall to us. We know Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin and Barkov will be taken early. However, a team in front of us could fall in love with a forward like Lazar or Domi then you have dmen like Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, etc. 

#76 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

It's not unfathomable that a couple of Lindholm/Shinkaruk/Monahan/Nichuskin fall to us. We know Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin and Barkov will be taken early. However, a team in front of us could fall in love with a forward like Lazar or Domi then you have dmen like Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, etc. 

like NO ONE expected the Jets to pick Scheifele 7th overall 2 years ago. he was projected to go around 15 

www.SterioDesign.com

#77 yankeesjetsfan

yankeesjetsfan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Don't know who any of these guys are. I would just like to see the Devils go for an offensive type player with their first pick,

Mike

Posted Image
Posted Image

#78 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

nobody likes Lazar? sure hes a year younger but then you realize hes 6' 190 with room to grow, good on the cycle is in his scouting report.

his report reads like devils material. edit: according to the little ive seen, which is why i ask.

I hadn't really looked at Lazar so I just looked at him after you posted this and I gotta say I like what I see. If Monahan and Nichushkin are both gone I'd like to see the Devils go after Lazar.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#79 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

I love what I've seen in him. he has skills like and he's physical. Nichuskin is also signed for 2 more
years in the khl?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#80 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

I love what I've seen in him. he has skills like and he's physical. Nichuskin is also signed for 2 more
years in the khl?

He's got a clause in his KHL contract allowing him to come to North America in 2014 so he'd only be over there one more year as a definite.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users