Photo

Who do you think the Devils will draft?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Devils 2013 draft selection (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think the Devils will select?

1. Sean Monahan (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. Elias Lindholm (8 votes [12.31%])

Percentage of vote: 12.31%

3. Nikita Zaradov (1 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

4. Hunter Shinkaruk (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

5. Bo Horvat (1 votes [1.54%])

6. Curtis Lazar (3 votes [4.62%])

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

7. Valeri Nichushkin (7 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

8. Darnell Nurse (1 votes [1.54%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:35 PM

I think if we get down to the wire or our 1st and 2nd chocies are gone, it'll become more likely that we trade down to something like 15-20 and grab Lazar and hopefully another low 1st rd, early 2nd rd pick or hey, maybe even a forward prospect.

Most folks seem to think the 1st four are studs, and after them there is a bit of a drop in talent?
I disagree, I'm hoping for Mantha and Lazar.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#122 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Most folks seem to think the 1st four are studs, and after them there is a bit of a drop in talent?I disagree, I'm hoping for Mantha and Lazar.

Mantha hes really good but hes not a guy whos gonna play 110% every game or every shift. He seems to be streaky too but when hes on hes really good.

www.SterioDesign.com

#123 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:25 PM

Most folks seem to think the 1st four are studs, and after them there is a bit of a drop in talent?

I dont love Mantha i saw him play a lot here in the QJMHL... He have good attributes but in a lot of game he was not playing at a good level. Sometimes we didnt even notice him on the ice. And in the playoffs he plays average in 2/3 of the games.... He is not the kind of player that you know what he will bring.... I could be wrong and thing could change long term but right now at the 9th spot I see other player in front of him

#124 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

You can't project any of those guys to be as good as the first four picks.  Doesn't mean they won't be good of course.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#125 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

Looking at mock drafts online, some of them have 4 D and a G in the top 8.. Doesn't seem impossible that Monahan or Lindholm could drop as far down as 9th. Some even have Barkov and Nichushkin in the 7-10 region. That would be sick sweet.
Posted Image

#126 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

The more I read up on this draft the more excited I get. Nichushkin is ranked 2nd overall by ISS.. Would be fvcking epic if he dropped to us. We should trade a couple of D to columbus for one of their 50 first round picks. :P
Posted Image

#127 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

The more I read up on this draft the more excited I get. Nichushkin is ranked 2nd overall by ISS.. Would be fvcking epic if he dropped to us. We should trade a couple of D to columbus for one of their 50 first round picks. :P

Honestly, I'm not really high on Nichushkin, he might be one of the best players around, I just hate the "Russian Factor". I would be pissed if we drafted the guy with our top 10 pick and he pulled a Radulov-style move on us. I would rather draft Monahan or Shinkaruk and be sure he wants to play in NA, instead of gambling.

Edited by Devs3cups, 12 May 2013 - 08:54 AM.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#128 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:10 AM

Honestly, I'm not really high on Nichushkin, he might be one of the best players around, I just hate the "Russian Factor". I would be pissed if we drafted the guy with our top 10 pick and he pulled a Radulov-style move on us. I would rather draft Monahan or Shinkaruk and be sure he wants to play in NA, instead of gambling.

Radulov's literally the only guy who's done that. Even Nikita Filatov, who was a bust and was apparently too lazy to go after rebounds, stayed in the US until it was abundantly clear nobody wanted him anymore. You take the best player available no matter where he's from. 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#129 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Honestly, I'm really high on Nichushkin. :P Seems like the ultimate hockey player in the making.

Posted Image

#130 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

Didn't Nichushkin say he will not play in the A or juniors and instead will stay in the KHL for the next 2 years? I think he also said he wanted to play for the Flyers or Rangers.

I say pass on him.

#131 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

Why on earth would he play on a two-way contract when he can make millions in the KHL? That makes perfect sense to me. 

When asked where he wanted to play he mentioned the Flyers or the Rangers then added something like; "Those are good teams, no?" :P  Don't think you should read a whole lot into that. Or are we holding out for Devils fans only now?

Edited by njdevsftw, 12 May 2013 - 07:25 PM.

Posted Image

#132 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Why on earth would he play on a two-way contract when he can make millions in the KHL? That makes perfect sense to me. 

When asked where he wanted to play he mentioned the Flyers or the Rangers then added something like; "Those are good teams, no?" :P  Don't think you should read a whole lot into that. Or are we holding out for Devils fans only now?

What I can tell you is you don't want a player that is dictating terms before he is even drafted. It tells me everything I need to know. 

#133 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

the same goes for any russian player. Why didn't Yakupov go back there full time then for millions? Why did Filatov run through every opportunity to stay here. Why did Bobrovsky stay to ostensibly be Bryz's backup? 

And he'd probably be fine playing with the guy who's gonna be the captain on the 2014 russian olympic team :P

Edited by DH26, 12 May 2013 - 09:14 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#134 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

Nichushkin-Lokti-Kovy

Could be a fun line to watch.

#135 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

I wonder if overall Euro's coming here are so accustomed to playing on a larger ice surface that it takesa couple years to get acclimated if at all. Where No. American skaters play on the same size rink all
their lives. Do guys like JJ/Bergfors/Teddy etc. get wiggy because a smaller ice surface, way more physical. This guy (Nichushkin) scares for that reason. I know things get lost in translation.
I'm sure the Dev's scouts have interviewed him. For this reason hopefully Lou stays away from high
profile Russians. They do have an alternative of playing in the K, where all No American want to play in the NHL

#136 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

http://www.newsobser...ant-impact.html

Interesting quotes from Jim Rutherford:

“We have a chance to get another outstanding player like a Jeff Skinner
this year,” Rutherford said. “What I’m told by our amateur scouting
staff is the top six players are the elite players and the guy we pick
at five could be as good as the guy picked at one.”

Trading up was always a long shot.  If Rutherford's thoughts are in line with other GMs, it's even less possible.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#137 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

I don't think young players make very much money in the KHL.  My understanding is that there is a salary cap on KHL-only players, but that players who get imported from other leagues have no such restriction.  Now Kuznetsov is making good money, but I believe they dangled the 2014 Olympic team in front of him to keep him there - I think he'll be gone after that even though he will make less (at first) in the NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#138 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Generally speaking, in european sports you get payed what you're worth. Your age doesn't really factor into your salary. So, if he's as big a talent as it seems, I'm 100% sure he could make more money in the KHL then the AHL side of a two-way entry level contract.

That said, I think most people would agree that the US/Canada is a better place to live then most parts of Russia. Add the fact that there's still more money to be made in the NHL, and the fact that the NHL is hands down the best league in the world, and there should be plenty of motivation to come over the pond.

I actually wasn't aware they had a salary cap in the KHL untill just now, never heard of that in any european sport before, but it seems they do.. (Some soft of softcap untill this year, where they introduced a hardcap of $36.5M + one player from the NHL outside of the cap.) I guess they are modelling the KHL after the NHL. I'm sure they don't have two-way contracts similar to the NHL though. Frankly I don't even understand why the NHLPA accepts the concept of the two-way contracts.. seems completely retarded to me. And I have no problems accepting the reasoning behind staying in the KHL for a solid paycheck, instead of coming to the NHL on a risky two-way contract. 

Posted Image

#139 JacobPaul1995

JacobPaul1995

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

id like to see us use either a 6th or 7th round pick on Anthony Brodeur, if his numbers stay up high then drafted for skill, if not then for sentimental reasons.

1488744_662845367109224_1470841889_n.jpg

NEVER DOUBT THE DEVILS!!!

#1 Devils Fan. DJ Jersey Devil on 88.3 WSBU

#140 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

id like to see us use either a 6th or 7th round pick on Anthony Brodeur, if his numbers stay up high then drafted for skill, if not then for sentimental reasons.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lou did. And I wouldn't be upset at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users