Photo

Who do you think the Devils will draft?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Devils 2013 draft selection (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think the Devils will select?

1. Sean Monahan (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

2. Elias Lindholm (8 votes [12.31%])

Percentage of vote: 12.31%

3. Nikita Zaradov (1 votes [1.54%])

Percentage of vote: 1.54%

4. Hunter Shinkaruk (22 votes [33.85%])

Percentage of vote: 33.85%

5. Bo Horvat (1 votes [1.54%])

6. Curtis Lazar (3 votes [4.62%])

Percentage of vote: 4.62%

7. Valeri Nichushkin (7 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

8. Darnell Nurse (1 votes [1.54%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Why draft Anthony Brodeur when you can sign him as an undrafted free agent in a few years? It would be a complete waste of a pick. He didn't even own the majority of starts for SSM with the other goalie being a year younger plus Central Scouting didn't even rank him and they ranked 40 NA goalies. The Devils don't have a 7th round pick and though 6th round picks rarely amount to much, they've drafted some intriguing prospects in that round or the next in recent years (6th round: Gavrus in 2012, Scarlett in 2011, 7th round: Gedig in 2009).

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#142 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:53 AM

Agreed. Seems like a total waste to use a pick on him.. The Devils are in no position to throw away picks.
Posted Image

#143 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Well just as I was afraid of the Oilers plan on taking center with their 7th overall pick...

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1434839

Colin Priestner ‏@colinpriestner 28m 
He says from July 1 to July 5 there is a recruitment window for pending UFA's. Also says his priority is A centre with 7 overall pick.

Also had this..

Colin Priestner ‏@colinpriestner 30m 
Lists McKinnon, Barkov and Monahan as the 3 centres he wants. He's had many talks about moving up OR down with fellow GMs

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 24 May 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#144 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

Well just as I was afraid of the Oilers plan on taking center with their 7th overall pick...

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1434839

Also had this..

Guess this leaves Lindholm as the center that might be available. 

I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of trading Larsson and other player(s) for one of top five picks straight up.  Take the forward with the newly acquired pick, and draft Zadorov or Ristolaein, who is supposed to be a Larsson clone. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#145 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm starting to wonder about the possibility of trading Larsson and other player(s) for one of top five picks straight up.  Take the forward with the newly acquired pick, and draft Zadorov or Ristolaein, who is supposed to be a Larsson clone. 

I'm actually a little nervous now. This is how I see it playing out...

1. Avs - Jones

2. Panthers - MacKinnon

3. Tampa - Drouin

4. Preds - Barkov

5. Canes - Nichushkin (recent rumors suggest he wants to play in the NHL next year but no AHL or any minor league) NHL or KHL.

6. Flames - Monahan

7. Oilers - Lindholm

8. Buffalo - Either Zadarov, Nurse, or even Shinkaruk

9. Devs - Gauthier or Domi (or Shinkaruk)?

Doesn't look like anyone above us is going to draft a defender except maybe Buffalo. 

I'd be in favor of trading Larsson to Tampa for 3rd overall too. We might have to add a little bit just because you probably have to overpay to get them to listen. Then take Nurse, Ristolainen, or Zadarov with the 9th. 

I don't really see that happening though.

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 24 May 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#146 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

A defenseman taken 9th probably isn't going to be on the team next year barring them being awesome. So you keep Larsson (who's probably better then they'd be anyway). You don't trade Larsson for one of those picks that's outright stupid. He's too valuable. He's a 20 year old playing major minutes on a good defense. You don't trade him and try to replace him w/ one of hte later guys. There's a reason guys from last year like Rielly, Pouliot and Maata and Maachachek (sp?) didn't come up right away. Unless youre' a top 5 defenseman (and in Rielly's case even then) you don't come up 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#147 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

A defenseman taken 9th probably isn't going to be on the team next year barring them being awesome. So you keep Larsson (who's probably better then they'd be anyway). You don't trade Larsson for one of those picks that's outright stupid. He's too valuable. He's a 20 year old playing major minutes on a good defense. You don't trade him and try to replace him w/ one of hte later guys. There's a reason guys from last year like Rielly, Pouliot and Maata and Maachachek (sp?) didn't come up right away. Unless youre' a top 5 defenseman (and in Rielly's case even then) you don't come up 

You wouldn't be replacing Larsson with only the defenseman you'd be drafting at 9, but also one of the top forwards, who project anyway to be superstars. 

But, besides the fact that you wouldn't find a trading partner, however fair the deal might be in theory, it'll probably make the team a bit weaker in the short term, when there is no first round pick next year. 

It's all just fun speculation.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#148 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

There are few things that could get me to want to run Lou over with my car. Trading Larsson for anyone not named Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith is one of them. But I'm not worried about it, because Lou is smart.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#149 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

There are few things that could get me to want to run Lou over with my car. Trading Larsson for anyone not named Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith is one of them. But I'm not worried about it, because Lou is smart.

For Lou to do something like that would mean he felt so strongly about someone in the top 3 that he HAD to draft. Like if Crosby and Parise had their DNA spliced into one person and he was draft eligible, lol.

If it appears the guys we want are gone by 9 and we're not interested in drafting a d-man, which I'm sure they've looked at them, but offense is a serious organizational need. Anybody think we then trade down to 15-18 and try to draft Lazar and pick up another low 1st rd pick or high 2nd rd?

#150 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Since the Devils do have system depth on defensem, albeit unproven, I would trade Larsson in a heart beat for Barkov, Drouin or MacKinnon.  All three would have been taken ahead of Larsson in any particular draft.  

For Lou to do something like that would mean he felt so strongly about someone in the top 3 that he HAD to draft. Like if Crosby and Parise had their DNA spliced into one person and he was draft eligible, lol.

If it appears the guys we want are gone by 9 and we're not interested in drafting a d-man, which I'm sure they've looked at them, but offense is a serious organizational need. Anybody think we then trade down to 15-18 and try to draft Lazar and pick up another low 1st rd pick or high 2nd rd?

Definitely worth exploring.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened.

Posted Image

#151 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

The draft might be deep enough to be able to draft higher (trade up with maybe Columbus?
for a 2nd rounder.
I disagree on Edmonton. they've taken a forward the last 4 years I think they're going for a D man- and Devils will take a D man regardless of how many we have in the pipeline. they may be really high on
Pulock or Bowie, or Robert Hagg. Even though I think Zadorov will still be around.
Could Curtis Lazar be another Claude Giroux? or maybe Adam Erne? I'm sure they 've done their
homework.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#152 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

Since the Devils do have system depth on defensem, albeit unproven, I would trade Larsson in a heart beat for Barkov, Drouin or MacKinnon.  All three would have been taken ahead of Larsson in any particular draft.  

Definitely worth exploring.  Wouldn't surprise me at all if it happened.

I don't know where you get the idea that Barkov/Drouin are the 2nd coming. They wouldn't necessaraiy have been taken over Larsson I don't know where you're getting that. Larsson's draft was deep at the top w/ RNH before he got hurt, Landeskog and Huberdeau who was probably rated lower than Larsson who was probably equal w/ Landeskog. You know Larsson can play already, one of these guys could bust, you never know. Trading Larsson for any of them would be absolutely stupid. It may help more next year, but Larsson matters for the next 10 

#153 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

regarding reports that edmonton is looking center - don't you think that's out there for teams to try and trade up? it makes all the sense in the world for edmonton to draft a defenseman but because of the prospect rankings, it would be considered a reach to take one at 7. they're trying to drum up interest for someone to trade into that spot (like the devils) who would like to draft a forward over a defenseman if they had their druthers.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#154 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

regarding reports that edmonton is looking center - don't you think that's out there for teams to try and trade up? it makes all the sense in the world for edmonton to draft a defenseman but because of the prospect rankings, it would be considered a reach to take one at 7. they're trying to drum up interest for someone to trade into that spot (like the devils) who would like to draft a forward over a defenseman if they had their druthers.

that makes sense. But Edmonton's also stupid enough to actually take a center. That's what I'm afraid of. If it was like Detroit or Pittsburgh or Boston, I'd think that and be behind you 100% but Edmonton is just stupid enough to actually take Monahan or whoever 

#155 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I don't know where you get the idea that Barkov/Drouin are the 2nd coming. They wouldn't necessaraiy have been taken over Larsson I don't know where you're getting that. Larsson's draft was deep at the top w/ RNH before he got hurt, Landeskog and Huberdeau who was probably rated lower than Larsson who was probably equal w/ Landeskog. You know Larsson can play already, one of these guys could bust, you never know. Trading Larsson for any of them would be absolutely stupid. It may help more next year, but Larsson matters for the next 10 

MacKinnon was actually thought of as the second coming not too long ago, although he appears to have slipped a little in some people's eyes.  Barkov is outstanding.  Playing against men he's nearly a point a game, and has better numbers than the first player from the Finnish league taken last year.  Scouts, including Conte evidently, absolutely rave about him.  (J MacIssac called him a bigger version of Datsyuk).  For Drouin, I'm honestly just using transative logic in that he's ranked either ahead of or around Barkov and MacKinnon.  Admittedly though, I'm not a scout. 

2011 draft looks like it'll turn out to be an okay draft.  RNH is pretty average for a number 1 pick.  I like Landeskog a lot, and Huberdeau looks like he'll be a big time goal scorer.  Hamilton has the look of a star, and Courturier will be a good to very good player.  It's not the 1996 draft, but it's not the 2003 draft either. 

You're right though, all trades for draft picks are gambles.  But a deal for two top ten picks in what is supposed to be a great draft could be a gamble worth taking.

Posted Image

#156 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

What would it take to trade for Calgary's spot?

Drafting 6th nearly guarantees a good player.

#157 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

What would it take to trade for Calgary's spot?

Drafting 6th nearly guarantees a good player.

I'm guessing a least a 3rd. If the Flames like a dman enough, it could work

Edited by SMantzas, 24 May 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#158 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

I'm guessing a least a 3rd. If the Flames like a dman enough, it could work

Trading down from 6 to 9 where the thinking is after 6 or 7 there's a drop off in talent level, it doesn't make much sense to get only a third round pick in return.  I'd venture a guess that only 10 percent of third round picks end up having an NHL career of any note.  In 2003, the Devils had to give up a second round pick to move from 22 to 17. 

Posted Image

#159 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

I'm in the camp that thinks EDM is targeting a D at 7 and the report is likely to try to faciliate a possible trade. As of right now, I assume the top 5 is (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin). I still think 1 of Monahan, Lindholm, or Shinkaruk will be available at 9 but if they aren't I wouldn't be opposed to Bo Horvat. Still waiting for the draft guides to come out before I form any final opinions though.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#160 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Trading down from 6 to 9 where the thinking is after 6 or 7 there's a drop off in talent level, it doesn't make much sense to get only a third round pick in return. I'd venture a guess that only 10 percent of third round picks end up having an NHL career of any note. In 2003, the Devils had to give up a second round pick to move from 22 to 17.

Several reasons why CGY might do it using the 03 package:

I just wrote out a long response and just realized we don't have a 3rd this year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users