49 replies to this topic

#21 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:41 AM

Briere would definitely be an interesting pick-up.  He plays with tenacity, he's skilled, and can score the dirty goal at the side of the net (ala Zach Parise), and New Jersey is NOT that far away from where he lives, so certainly, at the right price, I would do it...

Perhaps a two year, $7m deal would do it?  Let Clarkson walk, pick up Briere.

Are you kidding me? Why in the world would we sign him @ $7M per? He's getting bought out at $6.5M. I don't want him because I think he's a sh!t head, but I wouldn't offer anything more than what he's getting now. I'd say $4-5M, he's OLD. Plus I doubt he puts up more than 50 points in a season here.

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

Are you kidding me? Why in the world would we sign him @ $7M per? He's getting bought out at $6.5M. I don't want him because I think he's a sh!t head, but I wouldn't offer anything more than what he's getting now. I'd say $4-5M, he's OLD. Plus I doubt he puts up more than 50 points in a season here.

I believe he's saying 2 years for a total of $7 million, so that would be 3.5M per season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

I believe he's saying 2 years for a total of $7 million, so that would be 3.5M per season.

I misread that, my mistake. That would be much more in the realm of normal.

#24 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:14 AM

I am also curious about who the Devs might buyout..  i think Vol has to go, he has like 3 years left, at $4+ mil per,

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#25 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Let's look at Volchenkov from a business or sports team owner's perspective and correct my facts if I'm wrong:

Signed to a contract paying him $4.25 Million/year for 3 more years

Play level has fallen to the point where younger cheaper prospects could provide similar if not better level of play

Amnesty Buyout reduces budget line-item to $1.42 Million/year for 6 years while necessitating promoting a younger player getting paid $870k for a total cost of $2.29 Million/year for the first couple years

From looking at those facts I take the Amnesty Buyout almost every time because you're actually saving real dollars (almost $2 million worth) per year for the first 3 years and by the time you're left with the back end of the 3 years you'll have to assume that things won't be as tight otherwise you wouldn't want to be in this business in the first place. This deal gives you real money now in your pocket which is more important than small money being spent down the road.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,077 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

eom

Edited by Triumph, 02 May 2013 - 11:39 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

It's nice to dream but if uncle Lou has the reigns and I believe he does we will be lucky to sign Elias. I don't want to be a downer but I have seen nothing but the same old Lou. I would not be surprised if we lose Patrik and sign Clarkson. Lou may have the money but that does not mean he will spend it. Just hope I'm wrong.

#28 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

i dont know.... i would sure as hell hope so otherwise that beats 7 on the most ridiculous post of the year so far...

NO on Briere.. just NO NO NO

Amnesty Sal.  I can see that Volch hasn't lived up to his contract but he's my boy, i wouldn't want to do it.

I say Sal!! I can dream cant i??

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#29 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:23 AM

i dont know.... i would sure as hell hope so otherwise that beats 7 on the most ridiculous post of the year so far...

NO on Briere.. just NO NO NO

Amnesty Sal.  I can see that Volch hasn't lived up to his contract but he's my boy, i wouldn't want to do it.

I say Sal!! I can dream cant i??

yeah no to Brière, we're already old as fvck enough as it is

www.SterioDesign.com

#30 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

If there's one Flyer/constant I haven't hated, but have a whole lot of respect for in Philly all these years, it's Briere. I'm curious how many rings he would've had in his career if he didn't play for the Sabres and Flyers but on a team like the Blackhawks or Red Wings.

For the right price, I would take him in an instant. It'd be a nice F you to the Flyers too although I can't remember whether or not we've ever signed a player from the Flyers? Is that on Lou's no-fly list?

I think for the most part we don't sign ex-Flyers because they're primarily dirty players, players Lou doesn't want on this team, but I think Briere is actually one of the few players on the Flyers that has some class (him and Timonen i've never had any beef with), so I think his attitude (or lack thereof) is something that Lou wouldn't have a problem bringing onto the team.

I just want some sort of game changer up front; Briere, Heatley, hell even Thomas Vanek through a trade, because I feel like if we just fill that 1st line winger role with any sort of efficiency (no more Poni/Sullivan patch jobs) we'll be back on our way to the Playoffs in 2014.

Edited by Brandon, 07 May 2013 - 09:38 AM.

25smul5.png

#31 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think for the most part we don't sign ex-Flyers because they're primarily dirty players, players Lou doesn't want on this team, but I think Briere is actually one of the few players on the Flyers that has some class (him and Timonen i've never had any beef with), so I think his attitude (or lack thereof) is something that Lou wouldn't have a problem bringing onto the team.

I just want some sort of game changer up front; Briere, Heatley, hell even Thomas Vanek through a trade, because I feel like if we just fill that 1st line winger role with any sort of efficiency (no more Poni/Sullivan patch jobs) we'll be back on our way to the Playoffs in 2014.

the first part of your post is all wrong... first of all... Claude Lemieux? then... Brière is pretty well known for being a cheap shot artist.

www.SterioDesign.com

#32 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I regularly go ice skating at the Flyer's main offices rink in Voorhees, and a Devils Briere jersey would be awesome to wear on their ice LOL.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#33 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

McGillis and Zubrus might want to have a word with you.

#34 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

the first part of your post is all wrong... first of all... Claude Lemieux? then... Brière is pretty well known for being a cheap shot artist.

I've never really thought of Briere as a cheap shot artists, i've left that all in the realm of Giroux

McGillis and Zubrus might want to have a word with you.

Yes they're both ex-Flyers but they were both very far removed from their playing careers as a Flyer, McGillis played for Boston the year before we grabbed him, Zubrus played for Buffalo in '07 before signing with us.
25smul5.png

#35 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,506 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Sorry guys, but of all their players I still would like to have Hartnell or Simmonds. The team culture of the Flyers is "play dirty" so those guys naturally start to play dirty.

#36 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

priority number one will be resigning Elias.  That'll be the excuse for letting Clarkson fvck himself with a payday.

I'm not saying Elias will be re-signed.  I'm just saying nothing will happen until Elias has sh!t or gotten off the pot after July 1st. THAT is Lou's MO -- I make you wait and now you get to make me wait -- oh wait -- you effed me in the a.  Well that wasn't expected wowwy!   Yeah I get sick of the annual ritual myself.

does anyone say wowwie anymore?

I'm here for the party

#37 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Sorry guys, but of all their players I still would like to have Hartnell or Simmonds. The team culture of the Flyers is "play dirty" so those guys naturally start to play dirty.

Agreed, I like both of those guys on the ice. I see a lot of Flyers hockey down here by Cherry Hill because there is no MSG and they both play hard every shift.

priority number one will be resigning Elias.  That'll be the excuse for letting Clarkson fvck himself with a payday.

No, all the cool kids say "zany" :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#38 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

wowwie zowwie :)  okie dokie? ;)

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#39 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

I meant two years, $7 million total.  Excuse my lack of clarity with that.

#40 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I meant two years, $7 million total.  Excuse my lack of clarity with that.

It was definitely my miss there, I re-read your post. I was just too blown away by my lack of reading skills to actually sit and think, hmm, maybe he meant over the two years, lol.

And whoever said Briere is classy, have you seen him play?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users