49 replies to this topic

#41 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

This is an extreme long shot but MA Fleury anyone?

#42 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think for the most part we don't sign ex-Flyers because they're primarily dirty players, players Lou doesn't want on this team, but I think Briere is actually one of the few players on the Flyers that has some class (him and Timonen i've never had any beef with), so I think his attitude (or lack thereof) is something that Lou wouldn't have a problem bringing onto the team.

I just want some sort of game changer up front; Briere, Heatley, hell even Thomas Vanek through a trade, because I feel like if we just fill that 1st line winger role with any sort of efficiency (no more Poni/Sullivan patch jobs) we'll be back on our way to the Playoffs in 2014.

I wouldn't put Briere in the "game-changer" category. At his age, I think he's a very good "patch job" for the right price. I would only advocate getting Briere on a secondary basis, as long as Lou goes after a top-notch "game-changer" first.

Please, no!

#43 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:32 AM

It was definitely my miss there, I re-read your post. I was just too blown away by my lack of reading skills to actually sit and think, hmm, maybe he meant over the two years, lol.

And whoever said Briere is classy, have you seen him play?

Yes, for years, not sure why you'd think he's a dirty player. If anything, he's only victim of playing good offense in a dirty system.

#44 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:56 AM

Yes, for years, not sure why you'd think he's a dirty player. If anything, he's only victim of playing good offense in a dirty system.

Need I say more? I'm pretty sure I recall him trying to spear someone else along the benches last year during our playoff series, was it Carter? Who then ripped his stick out of his hands. Someone had a good gif of it after it happened.

Edited by ATLL765, 22 May 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Briere is as dirty as they come.  He fits in well in Philly.

#46 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

I was thinking about that possibility this morning.  It has to be a serious blow to his relationship with the coach and management that he is sitting with no real propsects of getting back into the lineup at this point.  It might be a situation where he needs a change of scenery because he has a ton of talent and shouldn't be this bad.  Not sure what his contract situation is, but I though they re-signed him to a lengthy, big $ deal a few years back and might look to unload him this offseason.

This would be a high-risk/high reward type of deals, but I doubt this would be something Lou would even look into if it ever became a possibility.

Posted Image

#47 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

After this Boston series, would anyone be shocked if Brad Richards was bought out? He's been in doghouse last 5 games. I wouldn't want him in a Devs sweater. I'll bet Torts lobbied hard to get him to NY.
And, I'll bet he's sorry for it.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

After this Boston series, would anyone be shocked if Brad Richards was bought out? He's been in doghouse last 5 games. I wouldn't want him in a Devs sweater. I'll bet Torts lobbied hard to get him to NY.

I think they'll give it a go for another year.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#49 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

I heard on the radio yesterday that it will cost the Rags approximately $20 million to buy out Richards, and will cost the Flyers the same for Bryzgalov.  I know those teams print money, but that is still a tough to swallow.  Unfortunately, having 2 amnesty buyouts will end up helping the Rags here.

Posted Image

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

I heard on the radio yesterday that it will cost the Rags approximately $20 million to buy out Richards, and will cost the Flyers the same for Bryzgalov.  I know those teams print money, but that is still a tough to swallow.  Unfortunately, having 2 amnesty buyouts will end up helping the Rags here.

But that's the thing, it doesn't really 'cost' them anything.  If they're convinced Brad Richards is a 15 minutes a game/2nd PP unit guy, they can probably replace him with the money they save for the duration of his contract.  Even if Richards had been good, the Rangers likely would've eaten it hard with the Cap Recapture Benefit Formula - had Richards retired in 2017, the Rangers would be on the hook for around $2.8M in dead cap space for 6 years.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users