73 replies to this topic

#41 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

When should we start hearing about negotiations taking place?

When does UFA start this year?  July 5th?

I seriously expect something starting around July 1st or so.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

maybe you can't find someone who does exactly what he does for that price, but you can surely find someone to put up 45 points for $4-5 million a year which he'll be lucky to keep doing 

I don't really think points are the relevant measure with Clarkson.  Goals are what's important there.  

The critical thing about David Clarkson is that he shoots the puck.  Now years ago, this wasn't really something lacking from the Devils' team - in 09, the Devils had a ton of players who I would classify as shoot first players:  Parise, Langenbrunner, Rolston, Gionta, Madden, Holik, etc.  Even Elias shot the puck a bunch.  That was a shooting team.  This team has almost no one who I would classify as shoot first - Ryan Carter maybe?  Stephen Gionta when he manages to get the puck in the offensive zone?   It's Clarkson and really no one else.

Here's NJ's forwards in rank in individual shots on goal at 5 on 5 per 60 minutes on ice (minimum 300 minutes) - 339 forwards qualified, including 12 from NJ:

Clarkson:  3rd

Bernier:  89th

Elias:  101st

Carter:  197th

Kovalchuk:  205th

Loktionov:  221st

Ponikarovsky:  247th

Henrique:  252nd

Sullivan:  254th

D'Agostini:  262nd

Zajac:  284th

Gionta:  297th

This team doesn't have shooters.  If Clarkson goes, they need 2 shooters.

Edited by Triumph, 08 May 2013 - 11:53 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

So long of a wait still.. This no post season sh!t really sucks, all i wana do is go to a dev game.. It's going to be a long off season
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#44 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

So long of a wait still.. This no post season sh!t really sucks, all i wana do is go to a dev game.. It's going to be a long off season

yes and it's exactly why Lou has absolutely NO EXCUSES to fvck around and not approach his players now or wait last minute.

www.SterioDesign.com

#45 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm sure the old man will still wait... Down right annoying
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#46 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

yes and it's exactly why Lou has absolutely NO EXCUSES to fvck around and not approach his players now or wait last minute.

He's not fvcking around. He's never fvcked around, he won't fvck around. We just don't hear about it because Lou runs a tight ship and doesn't let stupid sh!t leak to the media.

#47 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

He's not fvcking around. He's never fvcked around, he won't fvck around. We just don't hear about it because Lou runs a tight ship and doesn't let stupid sh!t leak to the media.

Clearly Lou is napping. Like he did right before Zajac signed.

All 3 will be Devils if they want to be Devils. They won't overpay for Clarkson, but the other 2 will most likely stay unless they get nutty offers. Zubrus will probably be around until they feel Matteau is ready to jump into his 'big guy on the boards' spot.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#48 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Clearly Lou is napping. Like he did right before Zajac signed.

All 3 will be Devils if they want to be Devils. They won't overpay for Clarkson, but the other 2 will most likely stay unless they get nutty offers. Zubrus will probably be around until they feel Matteau is ready to jump into his 'big guy on the boards' spot.

I see absolutely no reason to not make an offer to Zubrus for similar money to what he's making now over 2 more years.

#49 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

I see absolutely no reason to not make an offer to Zubrus for similar money to what he's making now over 2 more years.

It wouldn't surprise me. My guess is Lou can get him to stay for a little less knowing he's made his home in NJ, but we'll see.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#50 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. My guess is Lou can get him to stay for a little less knowing he's made his home in NJ, but we'll see.

I'd be fine with anything from $7.5M/2 years down. If it makes it to $4M per, I'd be a bit unhappy.

#51 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:46 PM

So you're saying players like elias and Zach and all their agents and Lou himself are pure liars who lied to the medias all along. nice. Weird cause what they say is exactly whats happening. There's no secret there.

www.SterioDesign.com

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

He's 35 and posted his lowest shot rate in many years, when he was already a player who didn't shoot the puck very often.  There's no way he should be making what he was - he was a great complement to guys who shoot the puck, but he's getting older and it's about time he get taken off the power play and top offensive lines.

Edited by Triumph, 08 May 2013 - 05:05 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#53 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

He's 35 and posted his lowest shot rate in many years, when he was already a player who didn't shoot the puck very often.  There's no way he should be making what he was - he was a great complement to guys who shoot the puck, but he's getting older and it's about time he get taken off the power play and top offensive lines.

Agree.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#54 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

So you're saying players like elias and Zach and all their agents and Lou himself are pure liars who lied to the medias all along. nice. Weird cause what they say is exactly whats happening. There's no secret there.

Elias was just talking and NONE of them said sh!t about Lou not talking to them until 2 days before July 1st, so no, Lou does NOT fvck around, but he also does not talk to a FA during a playoff run(Parise) and Lou knows Elias well, I'm sure they'll be talking while there's still plenty of time. Are there players Lou could have signed earlier, during a season and had them not leave, maybe, but we also might have had more contracts blow up in our face.

If you don't like Lou's ethos and M.O., then maybe you need to reconsider whether you like the 3 Cups he brought us.

#55 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

its been a decade.. im ready for another cup over here... just sayin
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#56 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

Elias was just talking and NONE of them said sh!t about Lou not talking to them until 2 days before July 1st, so no, Lou does NOT fvck around, but he also does not talk to a FA during a playoff run(Parise) and Lou knows Elias well, I'm sure they'll be talking while there's still plenty of time. Are there players Lou could have signed earlier, during a season and had them not leave, maybe, but we also might have had more contracts blow up in our face.

If you don't like Lou's ethos and M.O., then maybe you need to reconsider whether you like the 3 Cups he brought us.

im not getting in that debate again. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#57 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

im not getting in that debate again. 

It's not a debate though. You have NO idea whether Lou waits until 2 seconds before FA to talk to his players, we DO, however, know that he has talked to them before that and he's managed to not really lose THAT many big names that went to UFA. People here whine about losing this guy, that guy, but it's bullsh!t. Who did we lose? Niedermayer, Parise, Rafalski, maybe you throw Paul Martin in there in the past 10 years? Who of them did we really think we were keeping? Niedermayer wasn't staying, I'm glad we didn't match MIN's contract and Rafalski and Paul Martin were guys we were willing to give up because of the price they would have cost to keep them. I don't see this Lou lost players because he doesn't talk to players before June 30th. I'd love to hear some examples though....

#58 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Were you around here immediately after his signing?  He was the scapegoat, and his contract was 'horrible' for at least a few years.  Only recently, on this forum at least, has he become 'worth it' (probably because the cap has gone up substantially since he was signed),  In his defense, he was apparently supposed to be Gomez's replacement, which he never was.

There's no way he deserves the same money this time around, he's declined and is pretty much a big body who can work the boards (like many other Devils).

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#59 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Were you around here immediately after his signing?  He was the scapegoat, and his contract was 'horrible' for at least a few years.  Only recently, on this forum at least, has he become 'worth it' (probably because the cap has gone up substantially since he was signed),  In his defense, he was apparently supposed to be Gomez's replacement, which he never was.

There's no way he deserves the same money this time around, he's declined and is pretty much a big body who can work the boards (like many other Devils).

Yes, in fact, I was one to say Zubrus wasn't worth that contract. I was wrong, I admit it and I now think he's a very valuable part of the team.

#60 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

It's not a debate though. You have NO idea whether Lou waits until 2 seconds before FA to talk to his players, we DO, however, know that he has talked to them before that and he's managed to not really lose THAT many big names that went to UFA. People here whine about losing this guy, that guy, but it's bullsh!t. Who did we lose? Niedermayer, Parise, Rafalski, maybe you throw Paul Martin in there in the past 10 years? Who of them did we really think we were keeping? Niedermayer wasn't staying, I'm glad we didn't match MIN's contract and Rafalski and Paul Martin were guys we were willing to give up because of the price they would have cost to keep them. I don't see this Lou lost players because he doesn't talk to players before June 30th. I'd love to hear some examples though....

still not getting back into that discussion i already said everything i had to say about it in another discussion and no one here wants to read that ever again.

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users