179 replies to this topic

#21 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Moronic fans wear all colors.  I remember wearing my Devils t-shirt around town before game 1 of last year's SCF and a "Devils" fan stopped me on the street and started talking to me about how the team didn't do very well this season and how Broduer should retire.   When I told them we were in the finals and that Marty was playing great, all he could come up with was:  "really?".

Unfortunately, the loudest Rangers fans are the dumbest least knowledgable (kinda goes for most sports, right?)... Older Rangers fans (40-50+) know their role and know how much time can pass between Championship-winning seasons. Younger Rangers fans only know the Sean Avery "fatso" era and, CONVENIENTLY, anything after the Devils' dominance of this area. That's mostly why last year's ECF win was so sweet, it put the reality check on a whole lot of young Rangers fans that have somehow developed the theory over the past 10 years that somehow they're the superior organization. If you watch MSG summer programming over and over again, you might get as brainwashed of that as they are.

The way they mouth off, you'd think the Rangers were the Yankees and the Devils were the Mets...

I find that I kringe anytime you mention "John MacLean" around younger Devils fans.  3 disasterous months suddenly whipeout a more than solid NHL career full of giant moments for the Devils franchise.  You wonder what Bucky Dent's and Lou Pinella's reputations would be like in NY if social media exhisted when they both managed some of the most god-awful Yankees teams to ever play in the 80's and early 90's.

#22 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Just remember the Devils are golfing and please don't blame the injuries. So the guy screwed up.

Which is part of what me and the cool fan were talking about (and I wasn't talking sh!t), until idiot fan felt the need to butt in. Also, calling Messier a goalie is a pretty big screw up.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#23 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

@ MSG 2011. Rangers Senators game. Two fans behind me...and I sh!t you not.

"yeah yeah, I agree. Dubinsky and Callahan are way more talented than Kovalchuk. He is the biggest bust in the NHL" ...something along those lines.

:kill:

Hell of a game to be at for a Devil fan though, epic collapse. http://video.rangers...2,2,140&lang=en

Edited by Zubie#8, 11 May 2013 - 11:44 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#24 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

We should just make this the official "Rant about Rangers fans" thread so everyone can blow off some steam in one common area, and fellow Devils fans can come enjoy the stories lol

Yesterday my Rags fan buddy was tweeting some other guy and 2 great points came out of that:

1 - The guy he was tweeting claimed to be watching the Islanders game 6 last night at a bar near some Devils fans who were saying that they couldn't understand why it wasn't 4 on 4 and there wasn't a shootout

Right, because after last season's run any Devils fan wouldn't remember the rules of OT

2 - They were joking back and forth as to how "bitter" Devils fans are about the Rangers. Bitter? About what, being the better franchise since 1995? Sure our fan base really hates the Rangers, but "bitter" is chanting Potvin Sucks how many decades later

As a side note, if you ever want a good story about stupid Ranger fans just go to a Ranger game at the Rock.. Those Rags fans only watch live hockey 3 times a year max (in our building of course since MSG couldn't care less about pricing them out) and know only what the MSG Network force-feeds them lol

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#25 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Checklist for a Rangers fan in an argument:

Devils are only good because they have Brodeur, Brodeur is only good because he is on the Devils...mind=blown
Brodeur is fat.
"50-50 brah, sea of blue, MSG west."

Sean Avery
Devils don't sell out a lot. oh darn, gotta cross that one off
Have fun getting shot in Newark, we have a real city.
We have better attendance.
Devils are bankrupt. oh darn, they got their finances in order

Kovalsuck...Kovalchoke

Devil fans have an inferiority complex

Devils fans checklist when needed:

Three cups since 1994.
Only missed playoffs 3 times in the last 22 seasons.
Played in 33% of the Stanley Cups since 1995.

...and yet they feel they are superior.

Edited by Zubie#8, 12 May 2013 - 11:05 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#26 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

I find that I kringe anytime you mention "John MacLean" around younger Devils fans.  3 disasterous months suddenly whipeout a more than solid NHL career full of giant moments for the Devils franchise.  You wonder what Bucky Dent's and Lou Pinella's reputations would be like in NY if social media exhisted when they both managed some of the most god-awful Yankees teams to ever play in the 80's and early 90's.

Stop mentioning his coaching tenure. It hurts me so... Some people who are my age(23), don't recall Johnny Mac as a devil, having departed in 98, so his coaching tenure is all they remember about him, but he was my favorite growing up and the coaching thing doesn't change my opinion of him as Devil.

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

Stop mentioning his coaching tenure. It hurts me so... Some people who are my age(23), don't recall Johnny Mac as a devil, having departed in 98, so his coaching tenure is all they remember about him, but he was my favorite growing up and the coaching thing doesn't change my opinion of him as Devil.

It's too bad you missed his peak...sadly he tore up his ACL during the '91-'92 preseason (he missed that year), and though he had some good offensive years after that (37 goals in '93-'94, 29 goals in '96-'97), he was never quite the same.  He was a terrific player from '88-'89 to '90-'91.  I'll always believe he would've popped in 50 in '91-'92 if he hadn't gotten hurt...he was flying during that preseason.  The Devils delayed his ACL reconstructive surgery because they were hoping he might still be able to play with a brace at some point during '91-'92...I think that screwed up his '92-'93 season...he got off to a terrible start (just 3 goals and 4 assists in his first 30 GP, and he looked like a shell of himself), before he started to play like the old Johnny Mac (21 goals and 20 assists over the next 50 GP). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#28 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

Oh, and back on topic, in regards to dumb Ranger fans (kind of redundant, really)...I remember last season, quite a few were saying things like "Duuuuuuuuuhhhhh, da Devils gotta win da Cup to get dat taste of nine-dee fawr outta der mouts".  Right, because nothing after '94 ever happened...not '95, '00 or '03, not reaching the finals in '01 or '12, not being relevant for almost every season...nope, somehow only '94 counts.

Because everyone involved with the Rangers still seems to be hung up on '94, they assume everyone else is too.  If you dare try to take them to task on that, or rationally say "Yeah, '94 was hard, but the Devils have since won three Cups and been to five Finals.  I think they moved past '94!" they'll retort with, "Duuuuuuuuhhh, keep tellin' yourself dat, you know dat still bodders dem, Matteau Matteau Matteau, duuuuuuuuhhhhhhh..."   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#29 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

Oh, and back on topic, in regards to dumb Ranger fans (kind of redundant, really)...I remember last season, quite a few were saying things like "Duuuuuuuuuhhhhh, da Devils gotta win da Cup to get dat taste of nine-dee fawr outta der mouts".  Right, because nothing after '94 ever happened...not '95, '00 or '03, not reaching the finals in '01 or '12, not being relevant for almost every season...nope, somehow only '94 counts.

Because everyone involved with the Rangers still seems to be hung up on '94, they assume everyone else is too.  If you dare try to take them to task on that, or rationally say "Yeah, '94 was hard, but the Devils have since won three Cups and been to five Finals.  I think they moved past '94!" they'll retort with, "Duuuuuuuuhhh, keep tellin' yourself dat, you know dat still bodders dem, Matteau Matteau Matteau, duuuuuuuuhhhhhhh..."   

One of the things I really wish I could go back in time and do is give every Rangers fan I know a MUCH harder time the summers after the Devils won the cups.  At the time I kinda felt sorry for them especially in 2000 and 2003 since their team was just so pathetic.  Now that these same people suddenly got a burst of cockiness the past few seasons it reminded me of how they truly are.

#30 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

One of the things I really wish I could go back in time and do is give every Rangers fan I know a MUCH harder time the summers after the Devils won the cups.  At the time I kinda felt sorry for them especially in 2000 and 2003 since their team was just so pathetic.  Now that these same people suddenly got a burst of cockiness the past few seasons it reminded me of how they truly are.

precisely the reason why i never take my foot off the pedals with Habs fans.

www.SterioDesign.com

#31 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

precisely the reason why i never take my foot off the pedals with Habs fans.

Yes, I have certainly lived and learned.

Speaking of Habs fans every year they climb higher and higher on my list of worst fans in the NHL.

#32 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

I hate threads like this, not for any other reason than how angry and frustrating it is to think about all the idiotic things our blue friends come up with on a season-by-season basis. Anything they say just cancels out, it doesn't make sense.

• Making fun of our Kovalchuk contract? And yet during the span of 4-5 years, they've bought/buried Drury, Redden, Gomez, etc., then signed Brad Richards the mega-bust to almost the exact same deal ($6.6667M), and Nash to way more (who's been a bust this playoffs). Then they scramble to get rid of Gaborik's contract.
  • Making fun of our attendance? And yet most fans I know don't go to more than 1 or 2 Rangers home games a year, they simply can't afford it. It's usually a birthday treat or in this particular month, I know someone who got tickets as a graduation gift haha... None of that even matters when you look at our average attendance numbers this year and see the Rangers 3 or 4 spots below us. But blueskirts never look at facts and figures before opening their mouths, why start now?
  • Superiority complex? Somehow they came into this 2012-2013 season with memory loss like we didn't just hand them one of the most damaging and embarrassing series losses at the highest possible level, a level which the Rangers haven't reached in a very very long time. Somehow they forgot about it? The ones that came into our building for the first Rangers-Devils game (which we schooled them in by the way) were just as confrontational and idiotic as the ones after Game 1 of the ECF last year. Somehow, next season, they'll have completely blocked it from their memory, because you know, being the team that kicked us out of the playoffs this year is a greater glory, "revenge" the New York papers said...
  • Their biggest hero in the past decade, their biggest crowd-pleaser was... Sean Avery? The amount these Rangers fans exalted this guys is just way too funny. This was probably one of the fanbase's favorite players for years.... and now he's retired at 32, and dating Bravo's TV show host Andy Cohen.

#33 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

It's like I always say, it's just that 99% percent of Rangers fans who ruin it for the rest of them.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#34 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:34 AM

Yes, I have certainly lived and learned.

Speaking of Habs fans every year they climb higher and higher on my list of worst fans in the NHL.

i feel really lucky that i know like 4 Rangers fans and 4 flyers fans in total and none of them are a$$holes or giving me sh!t at any time and being stupid ignorant or at least if they don't know much they wont try to mouth about the Devils or wtv.

Thats the thing with me, you can give me sh!t about the Devils or anything if you bring facts or intelligent points that i can argue with... but when other fan bases just use ridiculous generalization like our fan base or the trap or god knows... "uneducated comments" i like to call it... That's pissing me off.

im sure there's lots of Rangers fan similar to the Habs fans that i have to deal with of course. But i cant imagine them being worst. most Habs fans from Quebec are that dumb because they are Quebecers.. (sorry for the few people from Quebec here, but there's a chance they agree with me) people from that province REALLY think they are the center of the universe and that everything should work the way they want, they'll make a HUGE deal out of anything they think its unfair to them and manifest and all get together against wtv they are unhappy with... they are REALLY like a bunch of dogs that once one is barking the whole bunch barks it away not even knowing what they are barking about lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#35 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

I know they rarely talk hockey but Lupica just blasted Lundqvist on ESPN radio.

#36 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

For what?  Not joining in on the end-of-game scrum when his team was technically "down" a man?  I wondered if that would get brought up. 

Please, Lupica is such a self-important dork, the little nerd who got beat up and abused by the jocks on a daily basis back in the day.  He wishes he had just the most miniscule amount of athletic ability...just a little wannabe.   

#30 FOREVER!

#37 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

For what?  Not joining in on the end-of-game scrum when his team was technically "down" a man?  I wondered if that would get brought up. 

Please, Lupica is such a self-important dork, the little nerd who got beat up and abused by the jocks on a daily basis back in the day.  He wishes he had just the most miniscule amount of athletic ability...just a little wannabe.   

He was actually blasting him because of his lack of success in the playoffs. He was kind of making the comparison of Hank to Ewing.

#38 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:24 AM

About what??? Only reason Rangers are in a Game 7 is Henrik... Or a Game 5 or Game 6 for that matter...

He was actually blasting him because of his lack of success in the playoffs. He was kind of making the comparison of Hank to Ewing.

That's pretty dumb. I don't even think Devils fans would stoop that low. Sure, we mention his lack of success when the average Rag fan calls him "King", but I'd never blame it on him. The team and system around him has been a joke for years..

#39 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:30 AM

About what??? Only reason Rangers are in a Game 7 is Henrik... Or a Game 5 or Game 6 for that matter...

That's pretty dumb. I don't even think Devils fans would stoop that low. Sure, we mention his lack of success when the average Rag fan calls him "King", but I'd never blame it on him. The team and system around him has been a joke for years..

He's got a GAA well under 2.00 and a save% of .933 dating back to last year's playoffs, and his team is just 13-13 in that time. 

Agree, he's been the least of the Rangers' playoff problems as of late.  He's doing HIS job.

#30 FOREVER!

#40 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,410 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

2 - They were joking back and forth as to how "bitter" Devils fans are about the Rangers. Bitter? About what, being the better franchise since 1995? Sure our fan base really hates the Rangers, but "bitter" is chanting Potvin Sucks how many decades later

I don't know about bitter, but far too many Devil fans are just insecure and envious when it comes to the Rangers.  

Anytime, I go to a non-Rangers hockey game at the Rock and some idiot starts the "Rangers sucks" chant during a Devils vs Panthers game, my Ranger friends will just look at me and laugh, because he knows that is just envy and I can't defend that kind of insecurity.  Its actually kind of embarrising as a Devil fan.   I don't like the Rags, and I hate them when we play them, but they haven't done anything to garner that kind of attention.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users